December 31st, 2012

Obama says 'fiscal cliff' deal in sight

An agreement to avert the "fiscal cliff" of automatic tax increases and spending cuts appears to be "within sight," President Barack Obama said Monday.

The deal would prevent a tax increase for the overwhelming majority of Americans, extend the child tax and tuition credits for families as well as those for clean-energy companies and extend unemployment benefits for two million people, Obama said.

"There are still issues left to resolve, but we are hopeful Congress can get it done," Obama said.

Nevertheless, he did not sound hopeful a deal was imminent, saying he expected to remain at the White House for New Year's Eve while lawmakers used up every last second available to them.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. wjmccartan

Happy New Year everybody, health, happiness and peace in 2013...

December 31, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

Happy new years to you also @ Joey! And many, many more! ;)

December 31, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

So....whats the squig CNN? Have we fallen and cant get up? Any updates from our useless government, particularly CONGRESS?

January 1, 2013 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. Partisan Microblogger (I-RI)

Darned old republicans. Immature "young" democrats. Nuthin' but a bunch of rascals. No wonder 'I' can't get anything done.

January 1, 2013 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. Linda

I heard a rumour that Congress was thinking about a raise for themselves. I hope its not true. They have left us hanging far to long and have caused us not to be to happy about what they are doing up in Washington.

January 1, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Hamsta

Ya he has a deal in sight, said by the man who screams " Forward!!!" While " Leading from behind ". He wants you to be a good lemming and run as fast as you you can on a path Greece already traveled when they jumped off the cliff and drowned in a sea of stupidity.

January 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Hamsta

Ya, your fiscal deal is that he is going to have a lavish vacation on your dollar while you work your knuckles to the bone paying for his buddies at the gsa to have a party as he hopes to empty the change from your pocket making sure not a single crisis goes to waste so he can "lead from behind "and scream " forward " while he can't see w the direction he is going as he claims " the end is in sight. ". Sounds like a scizo to me.

January 1, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Hamsta

What do you mean we don't have any money? I will just write a check.. What do mean I have work to do ? I 'm trying to plan a vacation. What do you mean I have to testify ? I'm using a sick day.

January 1, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |