The son of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has been found dead in Malibu, California, according to a spokesman for the team.
Scott Sterling, 32, was reported dead at 12:42 a.m. PT on Wednesday, according to the Los Angeles County Coroner's office.
Sheriff's officers and the coroner's office believe he died of an "apparent drug overdose," according to a press release.
He was discovered by officers who were sent to the home and later pronounced dead by paramedics.
Donald and Shelly Sterling issued a statement later Wednesday in which they thanked supporters for their sympathy and asked for privacy as they mourn their son.
"Our son Scott has fought a long and valiant battle against Type 1 Diabetes. His death is a terrible tragedy, the effects of which will be felt forever by our family and all those who knew and loved him," the statement said.
Clippers President Andy Roeser offered condolences to the family in a news release.
"Today the thoughts and prayers of our organization go out to Donald T. and Shelly Sterling and their children Chris and Joanna, in the wake of this tragic loss. Scott was a friend to many in the Clippers' family and he will be greatly missed."
NBA Commissioner David Stern also expressed sympathy.
"On behalf of the NBA family, we extend our deepest and most heartfelt condolences to Donald and Shelly Sterling on the loss of their son Scott," he said in a statement.
Survival of the fittest.
The reality is that death awaits all of us. You included.
My sincere condolences to the family.
dont feel sorry for him one bit, grew up rich and spoiled and didnt take advantage of a golden chance
May the family know NO further sorry for many years to come. Baruch Dayan Emes.
For some reason, the parent's statement about him fighting a long/hard battle with diabetes, makes some people think he passed away because of this disease.
Could he have??
I noticed that, too. The coroner and the authorities say overdose, but the family says diabetes? Something is certainly amiss between these two statements.
Sounds like the parents don't want their son's problems to tarnish their image.
There's always a moral to this kind of story. The way we enjoy life is not based on $$$$ per se. Sure there are lots of anonymous ODs but they werent from the rich. This story is in the tradition of FAME AINT THE NAME OF THE GAME.
Dude took too much of Blake Griffin's killer stash.
He could have died from an accidental insulin overdose. Hypoglycemia can happen especially in type one diabetics.
This blog – This Just In – will no longer be updated. Looking for the freshest news from CNN? Go to our ever-popular CNN.com homepage on your desktop or your mobile device, and join the party at @cnnbrk, the world's most-followed account for news.