January 8th, 2013

Tuesday's live events

President Obama will be sworn in for a second term in office on Monday, January 21.  CNN.com Live is your home for all your inauguration coverage.

Today's programming highlights...

12:30 pm ET - White House briefing - The debt ceiling and President Obama's Cabinet are expected to dominate Press Secretary Jay Carney's agenda with the White House press corps.

1:10 pm ET - Tucson remembers shootings - Tucson's mayor has asked residents to ring a bell on the second anniversary of a fatal shooting at an event hosted by then-Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.

1:30 pm ET - Casey Anthony appeal hearing - Attorneys for Casey Anthony will ask a judge to overturn their client's four convictions for lying to law enforcement during the search for her daughter.  Anthony is not expected to attend.

2:00 pm ET - New Jersey State of the State Address - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie discusses the state's past, present and future in remarks before state lawmakers in Trenton.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Barack Obama • On CNN.com today • Politics
  1. chrissy

Wth? If that isnt a colosal waste of time. Why would overturning those convictions even be considered? She already got off more than she EVER should have!

January 8, 2013 at 10:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

Father O'Malley has been preaching at his church in Ireland for so long, he decides to take a vacation. He's never been married and is curious about what Americans endure in everyday life, so he decides to go to the States before it's too late.
    He hops on a Nevada bound plane and arrives at the airport in Las Vegas. While he is exiting the plane, someone in the airport runs up to hm and exclaims, "Elvis! Good Lord, it's Elvis! I always knew you weren't dead, Elvis! How have you been?"
    Father O'Malley looks at her and says, "Get outta me face. Can you not see I'm not Elvis? I don't look a bit like him." He then moves on to his taxi waiting outside. He hops in the cab and is a little upset, so he tells the cabby, "Take me to my hotel and step on it."
    The cabby turns and says, "Sure thing, sir – Oh my God! It's Elvis! I knew you weren't dead! I happen to be your number one fan! It's wonderful to see you!"
    "Shut up,. I am not Elvis! Now turn around and drive!" snaps the Father. So, the cabby speeds up to the hotel where Father O'Malley gathers his things and walks up to the hotel check-in counter.
    "Oh my Lord! Oh, dear! It's you!" screeches the hotel clerk. "You're back, Elvis! I always knew this day would come. We saved everything just the way you like it! Free cheeseburgers, peanut butter and banana fried sandwiches, masseurs, complimentary ho okers and a full liquor bar! I am so glad to see you're back!"
    Father O'Malley looks at the hotel clerk, curls his lip and says, "Thank you. Thank you very much!"

January 8, 2013 at 11:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. dazzle ©

@bobcat, thank you for the early day laugh. I just know what will come, but I will keep it to myself my friend. I hope this posts as I am being blocked on the Giffords thread. Take 2 Now Take 3. @cnn, serious umbrage is being caused.

January 8, 2013 at 11:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. dazzle ©

Laughing out loud but but being blocked!

January 8, 2013 at 11:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. dazzle ©

Trying to get a thank you laugh out to you my friend but you know how this network rolls lately.

January 8, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. saywhat

Thanks @bobcat. @chrissy I agree.
    Good morning folks.

January 8, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. saywhat

President Obama has decided to nominate Hagel as Def.Secy & that goes to show that this President can if he so decides, stand up to foreign lobbies and their minions here.

January 8, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Good day to you saywhat

Pesident Obama, I'm proud to say, is surrounding himself with like minded individuals, ie, not being so quick to pull the trigger on war and showing resistance to the Israeli lobby. We have now, and always will, have Israels back, but the fact that thier influence on our political system is diminished under our current administration shows that our nation can actually think for itself. In my bunch of years on this planet, I don't remember this ever being the case before.

January 8, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. saywhat

Brennan's nomination on the other hand is a matter of concern. His dishonesty & extremism is well known.

January 8, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply