January 9th, 2013

Vermont city takes step toward banning assault rifles

A resolution passed in the most populous city in Vermont could lead to a ban on assault rifles and high-capacity magazines.

Burlington's City Council members voted 10-3 in favor of the resolution. City Councilor Norm Blais, a Democrat, said he was moved to sponsor the proposal after hearing what he called President Barack Obama's pleas to have a discussion about weapons in our country after the deadly Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in Newtown, Connecticut, in December.

Next, the resolution has to be presented in public hearings, voted on by the public and be approved by the state legislature before it becomes city law.

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S.
  1. Anders Behring Breivik (King of the Island)

What about my Glock with 30rd magazines and loaded with Hollow Points. Can I keep that? Definitely need it to protect myself from folks who look at me the wrong way.

January 9, 2013 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Good.
    I wish the ban would go nation-wide.

January 9, 2013 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • turftoe

And I wish it would not happen at all (most likely outcome.) But my reasoning is based on
      facts *rifles used in less than 4% of gun crimes* and your reasoning is based on emotion * I dont like the way that gun looks*

January 9, 2013 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

And I don't particularly care if you agree with my opinion or not; assault weaponry doesn't have a place in the US.
      I don't wish to ban all guns; only the ones that can kill the most children in the least amount of time.
      Be honest. The only thing one hunts with this type of weapons is humans.
      My reasoning has nothing to do with looks.

January 10, 2013 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

It's been men and children on meds shooting your schoolchildren and moviegoers. Don't take hunting rifles away from the rest of US for what they did for crying out loud!
    What a bunch of bleeding heart emotion driven baggage we drag around these days.

January 9, 2013 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Until you can provide conclusive and concrete proof that meds were the causation of these crimes, your assertions are just opinion.

January 10, 2013 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. Philipt

Who is that medicated man who's head wobbles when he walks and wobbles when he talks? And who's idea was it to let him have a freaking gun?

January 9, 2013 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

What the heck kind of meds are you talking about? I have never heard of those symptoms...unless it's alcohol you're speaking about...

January 10, 2013 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. ronvan

Once again, EXCUSE'S! ANDERS, comment just shows one example of the problems! A Glock with a 30rd mag. and holow points? WHY? Do you intend to defend yourself and shoot someone, OR, just spray alot of rounds downrange in HOPES of hitting someone? And, PHILIP: Give me a break! Another EXCUSE! These "assault type rifles" are NOT hunting rifles! Listening to ALL the "excuse's" people use for owning these HI capacity weapons is just so arcain!
    Using these "excuse's", WHY then, could I not buy & own an old M79 grenade launcher? It is a SINGLE shot weapon, with HE, buckshot, smoke, gas, rounds! I could justifiy its use for "excellent HOME, protection" using the buckshot round! But what the heck, lets go "whole hog" and I will just use the HE round and not only eliminate my threat but wipe out anything around it, including my house! EXCUSE'S!

January 10, 2013 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. ronvan

And let me just add that while we talk about "assault type weapons" we have the SAME problem with semi-auto pistols!
    ANYTIME you put an EXTENDED, "hi capacitry" magazine into your weapon you have CHANGED its purpose from "personal protection" to OVERKILL!

January 10, 2013 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |