Lance Armstrong over the years
January 14th, 2013

Lance Armstrong apologizes to Livestrong staff

[Updated at 3:19 p.m. ET] Lance Armstrong was “tearful” during his comments to the staff at Livestrong but did not admit to using steroids or talk about that issue at all, according to Rae Bazzarre, Director of Communications for the Livestrong Foundation.

[Updated at 3:10 p.m. ET] We just received a comment from the Director of Communications for the Livestrong Foundation about what Armstrong said today.

"Lance came to the LIVESTRONG Foundation’s headquarters today for a private conversation with our staff and offered a sincere and heartfelt apology for the stress they’ve endured because of him and urged them to keep up their great work fighting for people affected by cancer," Rae Bazzarre said.

[Posted at 12:34 p.m. ET] Cyclist Lance Armstrong apologized to staff on Monday at the Livestrong foundation's office in Austin, Texas, according to a publicist for the foundation.

Katherine McLane did not provide any information about what Armstrong was apologizing for.

The apology came ahead of Armstrong's scheduled interview with talk show queen Oprah Winfrey - his first since he was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles in a doping scandal.

Armstrong's Oprah interview: Why now?

Can even Oprah save Lance Armstrong?

1. Steve Stein

Why not just call a press conference and apologize? There is no legitmate need, for a pre-recorded "special" with Oprah. Go away and let LiveStrong continue it's good work. This is too canned. Yuck.

January 14, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Name*fifi

a big time con artist

January 14, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kelly in los angeles

i agree with emilie-he that is without sin cast the first stone

January 14, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Thomas

The only evidence they have is testimony from the losers who were actually caught cheating. I don't see a man who survived aggressive stage 4 cancer putting a fast acting carcinogen in his body. Is it so hard to believe he was just a terrific athlete? Just because he is better than everyone else doesn't make him a cheater.

I'm not a professional athlete in fact just over a year ago I was a fat lazy slob. I trained hard lost the weight and started running. In less than 6 months I went from running a 15 minute mile to running 6 minute mile. I've entered 8 regional races finished in the top 10% in 4 of them and placed second in one and first in my classification in another and in the top 5% in my classification in the remaining two. I don't even use supplements and I know Armstrong trained way harder and longer than I ever have.

January 14, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dl

When you choose to support someone, you choose to support them in good times and bad....or don't bother. I support Lance no matter what he had done. His good deeds outshine his bad. The people who launched the witch hunt will get their 'come around' someday. That's the way the world worlds. Until that time, I continue to support the person, Lance Armstrong because I'm not supporting 'deeds,' I'm supporting the man.

January 14, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chau Nguyen

This reminds me of the movie: Angels with Dirty Faces. The protagonist was a crook but he also had a good side.
      Needless to say, things did not turn out well for him in the end.

January 14, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Chau Nguyen

I can't believe some people are still defending him!

Since when is being a cheater, a liar, and a bully characteristics not to be disliked and shunned?

January 14, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. @Marita

The man is FINISHED!! And he SHOULD be! There is NO excuse for what he did!! – @Marita.

January 14, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jim

Where would LiveStrong be if he hadn't used PEDs and won 7 Tour de Frances? They should be thanking him for doping.

January 14, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Milo

He has disgraced his country, his fellow cyclist and himself. I can't believe that we let this guy get away with this for nearly two decades. Shame on us too.

January 14, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey

LA, please just fade away or go to jail :-(

January 14, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Alex

Most professional cyclists are using performance enhancing drugs. Might as well go after all of them if you're going to make your point. If not, it's just a witch hunt and a waste of time and resources.

January 14, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. GOPlaughingstock

Lance Armstrong is a sad, pathetic man.

January 14, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Todd in DC

If that were true, I'd see another career for him in the future.

There may not be as many sponsors, but the pay could be promising.

January 14, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Walker Williams

Quite calling him a hero.

Hero's go into burning buildings. They put themselves into harms way to help others. They are the ones you call when something bad happens.

He only rode a bike.

January 14, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. John Penn

Good for him...he stablished a great foundation and raised a lot of money for a good cause,....as far as the allegations i am convinced if proven, he just happens to be the one that got caught because from what i gather is all competitive cyclists seem to be doing the same thing....i still cheer for lance

January 14, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |