January 15th, 2013

Oprah: Armstrong 'did not come clean in the manner that I expected'

[Updated at 9:34 a.m. ET] Sometimes news travels faster than an airplane.

Media reports began swirling immediately after Lance Armstrong’s interview Monday with Oprah Winfrey that he admitted for the first time to using banned substances.

Those details came despite an agreement between Armstrong’s camp and Winfrey that they would not leak any details of the interview, she told CBS on Tuesday.

But it didn’t last for long.

"By the time I left Austin [Texas] and landed in Chicago, you all had already confirmed it," Winfrey told CBS, seemingly referring to the media. "So I'm sitting here now because it's already been confirmed.”

While Winfrey characterized the nature of the interview, she was not specific in the words Armstrong used or what specific admission he made.

Winfrey said Armstrong "did not come clean in the manner that I expected."

She said he "was ready" and "met the moment."

"We were mesmerized and riveted by some of his answers," Winfrey said.

The interview lasted two and a half hours and will air across two nights on her network, OWN, and will be streamed on her website, Oprah.com, she told CBS. The first part will air Thursday from 9 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. ET.

You can watch Oprah's interview with CBS here.

[Posted at 8:18 a.m. ET] Disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong told Oprah Winfrey in an interview that he used banned substances, she told CBS on Tuesday.

"We were mesmerized and riveted by some of his answers," Winfrey said.

Winfrey prepared 112 questions, and did not get to all of them.

Armstrong "did not come clean in the manner that I expected," Winfrey said, adding that he "was ready" and "met the moment."

No love lost for Lance

Armstrong may return USPS money

Friend says he feels betrayed  Friend says he feels betrayed

What happens if he confesses?  What happens if he confesses?

1. mia in California

Interviewing and backing are two different things.

January 15, 2013 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay jay

I supported this guy thru everything and then BAM! He turns out to be a cheat and a liar. U just don't know people now a daze...

January 15, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John Spurlock

Oprah was "Riveted" by Armstrong story on doping?

Maybe she's just listening for a way to pump steroids into her dieing network...

January 15, 2013 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Poor Oprah didn't have her expectations met for sensationalism so she continues to stir up the controversy. Let it lay and move on!

January 23, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Victor thinks

he only started the charity because he was wracked with guilt over his cheating, only started the charity to please his conscious. He will always be remembered as a LIAR and a CHEAT

January 15, 2013 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I don't care what he took and could care less about the biking. When you or child is fighting cancer you will sell your soul, if need be, to get your child the best care and support. Livestrong has helped more people then most will know. So you could look at it this way...If he didn't take steroids, he would not have won, not created Livestrong, and not have helped save hundreds of thousands of cancer victims....So what have you done lately? I hope you have never done anything wrong.

January 15, 2013 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • dstroebel

Correct.

January 15, 2013 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • dstroebel

To reply to "Dave," What have I done lately? I currently serve this nation in the Air Force reserve for the past 27 years, recently gave to the St. Jude Research Hospital, supported a little girl in our community who is battling cancer, helped friends affected on the Jersey Shore after Sandy, donated to the Sandy fundraiser, and coach Mighty-Mite football in my community all while working a full-time job, while raising three small children while my wife must also work a full time job to make ends meet. Oh, I also drive a beat up, 18-year-old car so we can continue to make ends meet. Thanks for asking. I also cycle to pass my fitness test for the reserves. Did I pass your test?

January 15, 2013 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Teddy G

Doctors and researchers are the ones that really help cancer victims. You are worshiping false gods with Livestrong.

January 15, 2013 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

Dave, your premise is that the end justifies the means, which over and over society has found not to be true.
      Chrissy, Lance was not a celebrity because he tried hard, but because he won over others trying just as hard. He just didn't have the courage to do it without cheating. So, yes, it does matter.
      Portland Tony, your right, theoretically and individually. But clearly for large populations hero's are very motivating.

If Lance Armstrong had not become the celebrity he was, there would have been room in the media for another more deserving hero who would have raised the money for cancer.
      Consider also the fallout here. Armstrong's lies have diminished the credibility of every world class athlete. How much will not be contributed to the hundreds of charities they have founded because "oh, he/she is probably a cheater so I won't donate"? So how much won't get donated because of him?

January 18, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dstroebel

As a fellow cyclist, I feel betrayed by Lance Armstrong because he portrayed himself as an honest person, but was anything but honest. We have three small children and my wife and I raise them embracing honesty, integrity and responsibility. I will not admire, or associate with an individual who does not represent these same qualities. Only winning races is important to Lance Armstrong and not fairness, honesty and integrity. I need to hear from his lips that he and he alone takes full responsibility for his actions and that he apologizes to his fellow cyclists who worked so hard, spent so much time away from their families, missed many birthdays and special occasions in their families to train but were cheated from their moment in time by him. Lance Armstrong, you need to do this TODAY.

January 15, 2013 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • James Nasium

So it's just this 'apology' to you cyclists that will make this all okay? This apology won't undo anything he's done, mind you – it's just a bunch of air going over his vocal cords – but this is the final step toward fixing this? Am I getting this correctly?

January 23, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Portland tony

In the course of human history, what difference does this cyclist's behavior matter? This doesn't even rank a place on the Kardashian"s scale of meaningless dribble!

January 15, 2013 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • you are just plain stupid

Yes, I said it!

"In the course of human history, what difference does this cyclist's behavior matter? "

Well, not everything is to be viewed "in the course of human history"

Some things are to be viewed in the space of, RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW.

Right here, Armstrong is a disgrace to humanity. His apologists here seem to forget that not only did Armstrong lie and cheat, he relentlessly persecuted those who dared to say different AND also one libel judgments against them!

Many people were bankrupted, had their career ruined or prematurely shortened because of this sociopathic monster.

January 22, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dajowi

Sports hero? Role model?

January 15, 2013 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

For some perhaps, who choose to put professional entertainers on a pedestal. But most of us outgrow such fantasys....

January 15, 2013 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • you are just plain stupid

* fantasies

January 22, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Chrissy

Does it really matter? So what if he took steroids he still worked harder to be the best that he could be. I dont understand what the big deal is anyway.

January 15, 2013 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Earl W.

So the big shots on Wall Street who make their millions from insider trading probably don't bother you either. So what if they cut a few ethical and legal corners "to be the best (they) can be"? How about if your kid cheats in school? Or your husband cheats on his taxes or in his relationships? It's all good, clean fun and nobody gets hurt, right?

January 18, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

He lied, not just to 1 person but to millions, sued people for saying he was what he in fact was, and betrayed the organization he founded to help cancer survivors and all those there who believed in him. that's the big deal. That doesn't even address the millions he earned from cycling while breaking the rules of cycling – no matter who else was also breaking them.

January 18, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. USA Bob

I have this yellow plastic wristband for sale. Any offers? How about $100m?

January 15, 2013 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  9. Paul Townsford

Not surprising at all!

January 15, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jeff

I've been saying for years that he was doping. In a sport riddled with dopers, this one "clean" all-american hero texan can beat all of these world class cyclist that are doping while all the while powering his body with Old Glory, apple pie, and gatorade? I don't think so, and I never have. I longed for the day that Lance fell from grace. He's like Ted Bundy on a bicycle, a sociopathic liar, and egomaniacal nutjob. Bye bye lance, bye bye.

January 16, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

We should only be so lucky it would be bye bye. We'll be hearing about the repercussions for years. I wish he really would just go away.

What really made him come forward now? There's something going on here we don;t know about. He just opened himself up to many more legal problems than he had before. Why?

January 18, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scottish Mama

@Jay Jay- Hello. I just said Time tells all. Patients. How many lips were needed to sink his ship?

January 22, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. you are just plain stupid

"Oprah: Armstrong 'did not come clean in the manner that I expected'"

How clean did you expect him to come Oprah?

I'm sure the whole experience left a bitter taste in your mouth.

January 22, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |