This may be the coldest week of the winter for northern United States
Minnesotan Funda Ray sprayed a cookie pan with Pam and broke an egg on it in the cold. Within a half hour, the egg was frozen.
January 22nd, 2013

This may be the coldest week of the winter for northern United States

How cold is minus 20 degrees really? Cold enough to freeze an egg sunny-side up. Funda Ray was making breakfast in Hibbing, Minnesota, when she got an idea to demonstrate just how dramatically the temperature had dropped outside.

"I sprayed the cookie pan with Pam and broke an egg on it, and in half an hour, I had a frozen egg," she said. Her husband shot photos, which she posted to CNN's iReport.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. banasy©

Funda Ray.
    What a great name.

January 22, 2013 at 9:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. chrissy

It IS cold, dayum cold aint it @ banasy?

January 22, 2013 at 10:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

Morning banasy and chrissy

I do not miss that cold up there at all. I truly sympathize with you. The last winter I spent in Detroit, we had a solid week of 18 below zero temps. That for me broke the bank. I headed south and never looked back.
    You guys wrap and stay as warm as you can.

January 22, 2013 at 10:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

My husband and I purchased an old home in Northern New York State from two elderly sisters.
    Winter was fast approaching and I was concerned about the house's lack of insulation.
    "If they could live here all those years, so can we!" my husband confidently declared.

One November night the temperature plunged to below zero, and we woke up to find interior walls covered with frost.
    My husband called the sisters to ask how they had kept the house warm. After a rather brief conversation, he hung up.

"For the past 30 years," he muttered, "they've gone to Florida for the winter."

January 22, 2013 at 11:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • BrazilBomm

That is hysterical!

January 22, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Scottish Mama

@bobcat(iah)- smarty pants. lol The wind chill here is 6 degrees, wish I could fly south.

January 22, 2013 at 11:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

It Was So Cold that

Hitchhikers were holding up pictures of thumbs!

Roosters were rushing into Kentucky Fried Chicken and begging to use the pressure cooker!

A streaker froze in mid-streak! The town council just stuck a plaque on him and pretended he was a Greek statue until spring.

The squirrels in the park were throwing themselves at an electric fence!

January 22, 2013 at 11:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Gore

This cold is caused by the ice caps melting and making us cold lol, or chinese industry making polution blocking sunlight lol- (but our polution is causing heat). Listen I mean it! ignore the weather- it's lieing to you! I swear – mother nature is the biggest denier- I hate mother nature! she probably voted for reagan anyway- ignore the cold weather it's a lie and a fraud! lol

January 22, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Blair

It's amazing how when you put an egg on snow in freezing weather it freezes in, like, 30 minutes. Woah, that's crazy!

January 22, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Mark

-20? That's cute. Come back to me when it's -40.

January 22, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. grams

The southwest just finished record breaking low temps for at least 2 weeks...At least 4 days below freezing..
    Now the cold blast is hitting the upper midwest & will move on to the east coast.. I don't see much change in temps since I was a kid, over 50 years ago..The thermometer goes up as well as down.

January 22, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. michael

-20. My Scout troop camps outside in that. Albeit we're Canadian and we don't prepare our eggs like that.

January 22, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Pam_Olivers_Weave

Meanwhile, here in Florida, we have a cold-front alert...70s. No kidding :/

January 22, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Sierra Hotel

An egg has lots of water in it. What did she think would happen–and after 30 mins. no less. Please.

January 22, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. sparta

could this be global warming?

January 22, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply