January 23rd, 2013

N.Korea plans nuclear test, rocket launch

North Korea said Thursday that it plans to carry out a new nuclear test and further long-range rocket launches, all of which it said are a part of a new phase of confrontation with the United States.

The North's National Defense Commission said the moves would feed into an "upcoming all-out action" that would target the United States, "the sworn enemy of the Korean people."

Carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency, the defense commission statement followed a United Nations Security Council resolution on Tuesday that condemned North Korea's recent rocket launch and expanded existing sanctions.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Kim Jong Un • North Korea • World
  1. Michaej talamantey

I think we al need to get along stop the hating and help each others out

January 23, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. xed

Threatening nuclear tests and missile launches seems to be the only way these guys know how to 'trade'... Every time they do this, the rest of the world gives them rations to stop...I guess if the system ain't broke...

January 23, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robin McV

I wish we'd start "trading" back and end it. ;)

January 23, 2013 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. gerbil

so in other words... north korea is trying to show the world that their wee wee isn't small?

January 23, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Patrick

Well if things go down finally a opportunity to get back in the Army, they cant be too picky if this turns into a fight.

January 23, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Taylor

So what does this mean for the average citizen? Should we be worrying about this, or is it just another big stick move?

January 23, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Agreed. This is a very general statement and no date given. I don't like the idea of breaking a news story without even an idea of the panic it might cause when there are no details and even the news channel isn't broadcasting more than a news blog on it.

January 23, 2013 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • acealex123

NO! North Korea does not have the capabilities to place a nuclear warhead on a rocket and actually have it reach the US. The North Koreans are just trying to scare us, and they're doing a damn good job at it.

January 24, 2013 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  6. RonFromNM

Send in Seal Team 6. It's probably about a half dozen at the top pushing this agenda. Do the world and the North Korean people a favor and remove them.

January 23, 2013 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. placidair

Aim something at the US and it's apt to be considered an "act of war".... good way for North Korea to find itself "splatted" going after one of the superpowers that way..... really stupid.... has their government gone completely insane?

January 23, 2013 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Crystal McKibbin

Dear North Korea. can you please NOT do that. But if you have to... Can you give like half hour warning so im home with my kids and the love of my life so we can die together. Thank you from a AMERICAN YOU HATE.

Dear OBAMA or USA, can you PLEASE NOT LET THIS HAPPEN?? I don't really feel like ending my life at 26 yrs old i have 6 babies that need me and i need them... SO could you possibly do ur job you where voted in to do?? I mean i don't know whats going on but something should be done. I do pay taxes.. and i do vote. So umm.. yeah can this be number one priority?? THanks very much From Someone who has a lot to live for!

January 23, 2013 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aslam Salam

6 kids? maybe the goverment should do their job and give you some birth control

January 23, 2013 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daryl McKibbin

My wife is my savior with out her this has been very difficult for me. Raising 4 girls on my own. Before her. After the horrible "crazy boi mom" who hurt my children. We had it very hard. I didn't get welfare. No cash assistance. I still do not. Im a hard working tax payer. So isn't my wife. I would watch how you word things before you enter a battle that you will not over come. We are worried about the future of the USA.You should think. Its ignorant people like you that is wrong with this country. That should be ur birth control.

January 23, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Crystal McKibbin

Excuse me, I find ur comment highly offensive. Whether they are my birth children or not. They are my chilren i care for them im there for the nightmares im there for the colds. I do not think that ur comment was appropraite. I was a child raised in abuse. I know how it feels to be beaten and hated. I promised God i would make a difference in someones life. And i am. My babies are finally able to trust a mommy who truly loves them. So i would watch what u say that isn't fair. I have NO help from the governement. We don't live comfortable.. But i wouldn't change it any other way. Maybe, someone should of advised ur mother on birth control. Thank you

January 24, 2013 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris Otis

I found that to be offensive also. My girlfriend and I have 4 kids, not 6 like you guys. She did have 3 and I have full custody of my son. But I wouldn't be concerned. Not of yet. They always threaten someone. It is a little scary that the us always seems to stand back and say "let's see what they have this this time". But I wouldn't be to concerned as of yet.

January 24, 2013 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  9. Cat

I CAN'T BREATHE

January 23, 2013 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Katie W

The one real downside to living on the west coast....

January 23, 2013 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cat

OH MY GOD can this not happen? Has this gotten to Obama and/or the UN???? Good grief

January 23, 2013 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Travis

Just a guess but probably so....

January 23, 2013 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

I've checked all my contacts and from what I can tell, nobody's bothered to alert our government – so "no". Would you mind giving them a ring? Thanks.

January 23, 2013 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kathy

Someone... Don't worry, USA didn't really buy $500 toilet seats. We are prepared. Besides. They use the threat to cause fear and give themselves a feeling of self importance.

January 23, 2013 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jimoh

Is nuclear weapon only meant for usa? Us ve it so let odas too

January 23, 2013 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Chris

regardless whether or not politics are involved, it IS a threat to the United States, and after 9/11, i do not think we should take ANY threat from ANYONE!!! Whether it be a person or a country, the people of the U.S. should be on alert and the military needs to take care of this long lasting problem, sanctions are not working, its like spitting in someones eye and seeing how they respond, thats pretty much what North Korea is trying to do is push the U.S. to fire first! better them than us.

January 23, 2013 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Crystal McKibbin

Completely agree with you!

January 24, 2013 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. Danny

Are they gonna do it gangnam style?

January 23, 2013 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |