January 28th, 2013

Boy Scouts reconsiders policy against gay membership

The Boy Scouts of America is considering changing its longstanding policy against allowing openly gay members, according to a release from the organization.

The organization, which has 2.7 million members, is "potentially discussing" doing away with its policy after months of nationwide protest, including hundreds of angry Eagle scouts renouncing their hard-earned awards and mailing back their red-white-and-blue medals.

Many parents of Scouts across America found the national policy excluding gays confusing - and at odds with basic scouting ideals.

In the Scouts' release Monday, the group indicated that decisions on gay membership would be made at the local level. Each troop's charter organization would be able to decide "consistent with each organization's mission, principles, or religious beliefs."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Gay and lesbian • Uncategorized
  1. Bubba

They don't belong in the boy scouts.

They can join the girl scouts.

January 28, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. casser

I'm feeling awfully nostalgic. I miss the good ol' days when being part of the Scouts meant no regard for one's religion, financial situation, whether you had one or two parents or with whom or how your parents express their love & commitment. It was all about respect, building self worth and just have a damn good time with leaders who sacrificed their time to help us become men with solid core values – including respecting G-d's creation. What possible good can come from this regulation? Ahh. Just got it. If the child desperately wants to be in the Scouts they'll be able to convince their parents it's important they live the straight life. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

January 28, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

I was a Boy Scout during the early 1950s. I'm grateful that times change.
    I'm not nostalgic for a time when (1) no adult Scout leader known to me then could have responded helpfully to a young Scout who was an atheist, and (2) no gay young Scout would have admitted his orientation even if he had understood it.

January 28, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

Power is power is power.
    When was the last witch burning in the USA? Now leaving old ladies with cats alone is considered common sense.
    Did cavemen use forks?

January 28, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BOMBO

The boy scouts must be a very American thing. I know they exist in Canada but I don't think they're too popular. I never felt the urge to join when I was young. I never knew anyone who joined. I guess I figured they were all gay.

January 28, 2013 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BOMBO

Just post nonsense, then something good.

January 28, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ little mister ©:
    Ty for reading my puzzlements. If you liked my sfumato writing, you'll like the Mona Lisa.

January 28, 2013 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mr Dalloway

Our country is growing up.

January 28, 2013 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ Mr Dalloway:
      Yes, I agree that our country is gaining some maturity.
      I hope that, in the future, every young Mr Darcy will regain a taste for Pemberley.

January 29, 2013 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mr Dalloway

Much of America unfortunately is about money.

January 28, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tom-ay

what? leaving it up to parents to decide which troop and troop leader is best? what is the world coming to? you mean parents have to communicate with their children ? oh no!!!!1

January 29, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. elgeevz

The Boy Scouts is a private organization in a supposedly free society, and as such should be free to adhere to any policy, however bigoted, that they espouse.

January 31, 2013 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |