Judge accepts BP guilty plea in Gulf oil disaster
January 29th, 2013

Judge accepts BP guilty plea in Gulf oil disaster

A federal judge in Louisiana has accepted a guilty plea from BP for crimes related to the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill, including manslaughter charges.

Judge Sarah Vance's judicial assistant Traci Muster could not confirm the terms of the settlement to CNN.

This is a developing story, we'll bring you more details as we get them.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. Charles Hammill

For anyone that has ever worked with BP, myself included, it was quickly apparent they were hypocrites. Speaking about safety then forcing contractors to perform in an unsafe and hurried manner. Since my experiences with BP in the late 2000's I have made it public knowledge to employers that I refuse to work with BP again. In my professional opinion, showing mercy toward BP is not an option.

January 30, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • formeremployee

"unsafe and hurried" definitely. This article brings back some horrible memories during my few years with BP.

February 1, 2013 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. CharlieSeattle

Some BP Executives BETTER go to Prison for a long time!

January 30, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. frespech

The posts are not posting- tried twice- who is editing these posts

January 31, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. frespech

minimum sentence by law

January 31, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Annonymous

Anything less then a 900 Billion dollar fine plus requirements to provide full benefits to the families of the the oil rig workers that died would be insufficient punishment to the audaciousness of their unsafe practices.

But of course since they are part of Big Oil then they'll get the ususal slap on the wrist and a $ 25,000 fine.

January 31, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Consequence

What are the consequences? If they are fined, no matter what the amount, a corporation that size will simply re-coup the financial lost by increasing it's price to the consumer. So who really pays for the mistakes? There needs to be something other than a fine.

February 1, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. formeremployee

I worked at one of their refineries for a while. My experience was that management will screw you over if you got too vocal about safety or environmental concerns.

February 1, 2013 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |