'Gay' dog gets euthanasia reprieve
The Facebook page of TN Euthanasia said this dog was given up because its owner considered it gay.
January 31st, 2013

'Gay' dog gets euthanasia reprieve

A dog whose rejection by his owner caused an Internet uproar has been adopted into a new, and presumably more tolerant, home.

The male pit bull mix, whose name no one seems to know, was left at the Madison County, Tennessee, Rabies Control animal shelter, CNN affiliate WBBJ reported.

According to the irreverent website Gawker, Facebook users had a hissy fit Wednesday when they found out the dog's owner got rid of the animal after he (the dog, not the owner) humped another male dog.

"His owner threw him away (because) he refuses to have a 'gay' dog!" a Facebook user named TN Euthanasia wrote.

The post went semi-viral, with 861 likes, 1,869 comments and 5,048 shares. After Gawker told the rest of the digital world about it, noting that the dog was in imminent danger of being put down, the shelter was swamped with calls offering to adopt the uncloseted canine.

By Thursday morning, shelter workers confirmed to WBBJ that the amorous animal had been adopted by a person associated with a rescue/shelter group.

What would you name this dog if you adopted him? Share your ideas in the comments below.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Animals • Dogs • Facebook • Gay and lesbian • Tennessee • U.S.
  1. Linda Luttrell

I've seen dogs do this my whole life. They aren't bothered by it...don't know why humans should be.

February 1, 2013 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Mopi

I totally agree, if animals do it than we should too!
      Like how everyone was up in arm about Casey Anthony, but rats do this all the time so why do people get crazy??

February 1, 2013 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • AnimalLover

All animals hump everything, even inanimate objects.

Regardless, you're comment that we all act like animals is proof you are just as stupid as this dog's owner. So, next time I see you, I'm going to lift my right leg and urinate on you.

February 1, 2013 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. amazed

February 1, 2013 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. tim

Sad, pathetic ignorant hillbilly... he has no business owning a dog. I hope the puppy finds a new home where the owner isn't a typical SEC neanderthal.

February 1, 2013 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  4. toeknee

I would name him Barky Frank!

February 1, 2013 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  5. vgs1895

This is the dumbest thing ever. Obviously Mr. Macho doesn't know a thing about unneutered male dogs. They'll hump a tree–what does that make them? So glad the owner got rid of him. The dog deserves much better.

February 1, 2013 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Kayla

It actually would make them a dendrophiliac!

February 1, 2013 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. Carl

Repeating a prior message as it is important.

"I am amazed at the lack of knowledge of dog owners. All dogs – male or female – hump other dogs in a sign of dominance. SMH....again....SMH"

Dogs hump anything in sight as a means of showing dominance over said object.

February 1, 2013 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  7. Hmmm...

I just want to know why this has to be a "gay" story... Dogs hump each other all the time. Both male on female, female on male, male on male, female on female. What does this have to do with calling an animal gay? My cat wants to fight the outside cat. Is he a violent criminal? No... He's an animal! People choose to be gay. Animals act on instinct and don't choose things suck as lifestyle. Dumb hill-billy and choose your own life, just don't hump on me!

February 1, 2013 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • D

People don't "choose" to be gay. It's also instinct.

February 1, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Hopester78

The scariest part not included in this story is that he can vote.

February 1, 2013 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  9. Paul

I would name him Steve or Pat or some fitting name. LOL.

February 1, 2013 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  10. Taylor

HAHAHA.

This is the most ridiculous story I've read. I almost didn't think it was real. Can we euth the old owner for being so ignorant? I'm concerned he might be a danger to society. What a beautiful pit. That old owner lost an awesome dog.

February 1, 2013 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. JB

Perfect ending to the story would be saving the dog and euthanizing the owner.

February 1, 2013 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. Steve

I would name him Sparky after the gay dog on "South Park".

February 1, 2013 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. Glenda

Name the dog Blessings. All a dog does is bring Blessings to the lonely, hurting, sick, child, man, woman, and other aminals the like.

February 1, 2013 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. socalpimp

CNN and social engineering is getting tiresome....this is a fake story

February 1, 2013 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • michsathe

This is not a fake story. It was first reported on Examiner.com. Unfortunately, the ignorance of the original owner is entirely too real. Glad that it has a happy ending for this dog.

February 1, 2013 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • David DeForge

Are you sure you're an actual human and not an 'Onion' parody of one?

February 1, 2013 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  15. dorian canalizo

Thankfully, this dog was saved. This guy is a low life who should never own an animal again.

February 1, 2013 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |