Ed Koch through the years
February 1st, 2013

Former New York Mayor Ed Koch dies

Ed Koch, the brash former New York City mayor who typically greeted constituents with a "How'm I doin'?" died Friday at the age of 88, his spokesman said.

Koch died of congestive heart failure, spokesman George Arzt said. The former mayor felt very tired Thursday morning and was admitted to the intensive care unit, Artz said. Koch lost consciousness that afternoon and ultimately passed away around 2 a.m. Friday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Politics • U.S.
  1. banasy©

Awww! I liked him; he was a character...
    RIP

February 1, 2013 at 10:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Ancient Texan

While I didn't always agree with his political stance, I had nothing but admiration for Ed Koch.

February 1, 2013 at 11:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

Yes, Ed Koch was "a character."
    I admired him, and I agreed with his positions on some controversial issues.
    He was wonderful for his time, just as Mayor Bloomberg is wonderful for this time–except for having to turn off the TV sets in taxis here.

February 1, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. dazzle ©

I've always admired Ed Koch, a man of his era and an exemplary mayor.

February 1, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

I had to check the year of the transit workers' strike under Mayor Koch. It was 1980.
    Then, the strike didn't affect me at all: I rode my bike all over New York.

February 1, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dazzle ©

@JIF, hello dear man. 1980 sounds about right. I was living in Manhattan then but walked everywhere.

February 1, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |