February 5th, 2013

Pentagon expected to expand benefits to same-sex spouses

Same-sex spouses of U.S. service members could soon be granted some benefits that they had been denied until now.

Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta is expected to announce this week that service members' same-sex spouses will receive some of those benefits, according to an Obama administration official.

The Pentagon has been reviewing what benefits it could extend without violating the Defense of Marriage Act. Gay rights groups have been calling for the change. Among the benefits gay rights groups say can be legally extended are housing on military bases, military ID cards to access on-base activities and programs, access to commissaries and the consideration of a same-sex spouse and family in duty assignments.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Gay and lesbian • Military • Pentagon • Same-sex marriage
  1. Sheryl ©

DOMA was a terrible mistake in the first place.

February 5, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Hamsta

When meteorites strart raining down on Washington D.C. and you can't figure out why pick up your bible and read Sodom and Gammorha.

February 5, 2013 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Roem

Hopefully they'll take out the Republican House, LOL

February 5, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff Roem

So do I!!! If he were gay I'd marry HIM! You available?

February 5, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff Roem

Not what I heard, big boy. XOXO

February 5, 2013 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff Roem

Good. You can collect as my wife.

February 5, 2013 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

Lol @ Jeff Roems 9:31 post! Awesome.

February 6, 2013 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini, D.D. (h.c.) ©™

A pillar of salt...of course she did. In my heart I know that's right.
    Whenever somebody tells me to consult the Bible as a basis of facts and as an explanation of that person's precognition of future events, I always have to remind myself that the person actually believes the Biblical cognitions that invade his reasoning.

February 6, 2013 at 5:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

spoken like a true libertine..,betcha you give natural law a hardtime too!

February 6, 2013 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ Rascal Rabble, 8:32:
    "Libertine" is a word that I'd use only in reference to another person's thinking that he bases on prejudice or ignorance.
    An example of my conception of "natural law" is gravity, and Moses' laws are not natural laws.

February 6, 2013 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  9. ronvan

HYPROCRITES!!!! WHY should the "spouse-mate" get any benefits? WHY is it, maybe changed somewhat, that if underage you CANNOT drink-buy alcohol, but it is OK to kill another human being? I have NO problem with gays/lesbians serving in the military, I have know many during my 24yrs. of military service, and NEVER found them to be anything other than a soldier! WHY is it that we argue so much about "women in combat"? Nothing more than "old time" traditions not being let go in a modern world!

February 6, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |