February 6th, 2013

Boy Scouts delay vote on gay membership ban

We're going to have to wait a bit longer to see whether the Boy Scouts will drop their across-the-board ban on openly gay members.

The Boy Scouts of America on Wednesday delayed its vote on a proposal to let local troops decide whether to allow openly gay members and leaders.

The organization, which had been expected to vote Wednesday, said it needs more time to get input from its members. The vote will now be held in May.

"After careful consideration and extensive dialogue within the Scouting family, along with comments from those outside the organization, the volunteer officers of the Boy Scouts of America’s National Executive Board concluded that due to the complexity of this issue, the organization needs time for a more deliberate review of its membership policy," the group said Wednesday morning.

"To that end, the executive board directed its committees to further engage representatives of Scouting’s membership and listen to their perspectives and concerns."

Read more about the delay here.

Post by:
Filed under: Boy Scouts • Gay and lesbian
  1. Matt

Ah of course, because the world would thrive under the leadership of the religious nuts that were left. After all... it was Christian mythology and prayer that cured polio – not science.

February 6, 2013 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dennis272

Wow, How many commenting here are actual scout leaders, scouts or parents of a current youth in the program.
    Otherwise your just a troll on the website and are not contributing to the scouting program. If you are then have a say at what the scouting program should be in the future. I vote they not change the current policy.

February 6, 2013 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff

I grew up in scouting. I can tell you for a fact that one of our troop leaders molested one of the young boys several times before the youth came forward and told on him. Now to me this leader was in the closet gay. He was also the pastor of the charter church. The young boy was a fatherless kid that spent a lot of his time at the church. They just got often a littIe too close, alone, and the leader's emotions got away from him. I believe that BSA is afraid to allow gay leaders in because they don't want temptations for potential incidents like Jerry Sandusky happening to their kids. They are hesitant because they are concerned about the safety of their boys. This is perfectly understandable to me. Give them some time, let them work it out, and abide by their decision, whatever it is.

February 6, 2013 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Clayton Colwell

The BSA already has policies in place to prevent abuse (no adults and Scouts sharing quarters in outings, no one-on-ones, etc.). That is a reasonable policy to follow - excluding gays _en masse_ is not (for the simple fact that gays are not consumed with getting in everyone's pants, just like straights aren't).

February 6, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Katie Lamber

I don't think its fair. He should still be able to be in the Scouts.

February 6, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • name

He lied when he took the oath. Or dose honesty not apply to moral every thing?

February 6, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Akira

Well, hi there, 'hank'. Got spanked on the Belief Blog today, so you decded to come her and spout off your baloney? Grow up. It's not all about you.

February 6, 2013 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dantos

Looks like someone was taking some notes on how congress operates!

February 6, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Steve

Today is a great day to remember the Scout Oath (or promise). You know, the one that promises to keep oneself morally straight? Or...does that just not mean what it used to back in your parent's day?

On my honor I will do my best
    To do my duty to God and my country
    and to obey the Scout Law;
    To help other people at all times;
    To keep myself physically strong,
    mentally awake, and morally straight.

Libs and Progressives must just cringe at the very mention of God or moral straightness.

February 6, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam stone

Way to make it a political thing, Stevie.....

February 6, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jack

This topic set my memory off. When I was in Scouts and Explorers the executive for our area in western NY was a molester. His name was Fred. He would lure young men to his cottage in The Finger Lakes for weekends of perversion. I was invited on weekend and was assaulted by the man that I trusted. It left me with problems for many years. I was afraid to tell my parents and the leader of our Explorer post. There have to be others that remember the man. Fred was well respected in the area. I continued with scouting because there were good things to learn and wisdom to gain. But my trust of adult male leaders diminished. The church hid it's perverts, I am willing to bet that the scouts have done the same. I am 65 now and the nightmare at the cottage has not dimmed.
    I don't think gay's should be in the scouts and for sure not leaders.
    I know a few gay people and dealing with them gives me the willies.

February 6, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ Jack:
      "...gay's?"
      I don't think that a possessive should be in a sentence where a plural is needed.

February 6, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bethany

Jack, you need to look up the difference between "gay" and "pedophile", because you are using both terms as mutually exclusive, and you're wrong.

February 6, 2013 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. thomasmc1957

The longer they delay, the more they are going to alienate their 21st Century sponsors, who will no longer fund their bigotry.

February 6, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*

Right! Who cares about the truth. It's all about the money! Lol

February 6, 2013 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

Business is business. In the end, the Boy Scouts of America will choose the path that appears to be more profitable.

February 6, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*

Right! So do what is right!

February 6, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ancient Texan

The Boy Scouts will suffer a loss of financial help whichever way this turns out.

February 6, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

It is usually expensive for a business to adapt itself to changing times.
      I haven't seen many dinosaurs walking around Manhattan this week.
      Nevertheless, life finds a way.

February 6, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. name

Let the 'GAY' community start there own scouting program as a prototype and see were it leads. Prove it to your selves you can keep young people from 'doing it' behind closed tents. Then come and tell the BSOA What it can and can not do. It would be hypocrisy at best!

February 6, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Wayne Lapierre

So can a transgender lesbian join the Boy Scouts or not? That is my only question.
    PS, arm all Boy Scouts with AR 15's too. More guns for everyone. -WLP