Ski champion Lindsey Vonn
February 6th, 2013

Injured ski star Vonn thanks doctors, fans

Injured ski champ Lindsey Vonn is thanking medical staff and fans for their help and support after she suffered a season-ending injury in a fall at the Alpine Ski World Championships in Austria on Tuesday.

Vonn sustained a "complex knee injury" when she crashed during the opening day of the championships, doctors said.

Now the 28-year-old Olympic gold medalist is saying "thank you" to members of the medical team who treated her after her crash in Schladming.

"First off I want to say thank you to the amazing medical staff that cared for me. I plan on returning to Vail as soon as I can to have the necessary surgeries. I am also grateful to my fans for the the outpouring of support, which has really helped me stay positive. I can assure you that I will work as hard as humanly possible to be ready to represent my country next year in Sochi," Vonn said in a statement released by her publicist.

Watch: Vonn interviewed in 2010

The Russian city of Sochi will play host to the Winter Olympics in February 2014.

Read more: Victorious Vonn closes on World Cup record

Post by:
Filed under: Sports • World
  1. oakapotion27

It's unfortunate, but might be considered karma for cheating on her husband.

February 12, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Janet Jones

She gets all this attention because she is a great looking white girl. My husband isn't complaining but I find it plain wrong to give unequal coverage.

February 12, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fred W

What the hell are you talking about?

February 12, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mariah

Go away vonn! I'm really sick of her drama and the media hyping her up to be some hero!

February 12, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Garminwayfinder

Media hype? Umm, let's see now. Vonn is the most successful skier in U.S. history, man or woman. She's one of only two women to win four World Cup Championships, she's won 59 World Cup races (3rd in W.C. history behind one man and one woman), and she holds numerous records in several downhill disciplines. Oh, and she's an Olympic gold medalist. Call me starstruck, but I find all that worth of a little hype.

February 12, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. san diego 9326

Sorry... not humanly possible... imho...

February 12, 2013 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Dr Karloff

Those Tiger tongue baths should do wonders for the injury

February 12, 2013 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. What a bum

Good riddance. Literally nobody likes her.

February 13, 2013 at 12:33 am | Report abuse | Reply