Ski champion Lindsey Vonn
February 6th, 2013

Injured ski star Vonn thanks doctors, fans

Injured ski champ Lindsey Vonn is thanking medical staff and fans for their help and support after she suffered a season-ending injury in a fall at the Alpine Ski World Championships in Austria on Tuesday.

Vonn sustained a "complex knee injury" when she crashed during the opening day of the championships, doctors said.

Now the 28-year-old Olympic gold medalist is saying "thank you" to members of the medical team who treated her after her crash in Schladming.

"First off I want to say thank you to the amazing medical staff that cared for me. I plan on returning to Vail as soon as I can to have the necessary surgeries. I am also grateful to my fans for the the outpouring of support, which has really helped me stay positive. I can assure you that I will work as hard as humanly possible to be ready to represent my country next year in Sochi," Vonn said in a statement released by her publicist.

Watch: Vonn interviewed in 2010

The Russian city of Sochi will play host to the Winter Olympics in February 2014.

Read more: Victorious Vonn closes on World Cup record

Post by:
Filed under: Sports • World
  1. Boston Bob

Ouch! That has gotta HURT!!!

And will hurt her chances of getting the most World Cup wins ever. Most Americans have no idea what she has accomplished. One of the most dominant individuals in ANY sport now (male or female) when she's healthy.

February 6, 2013 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. empresstrudy

Her career is over.

February 6, 2013 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • skier4life

Not by a longshot. The best is yet to come for her. You are mistaken.

February 6, 2013 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Picabo Street suffered a broken femur the season before she won the Olympic Gold medal in the Super G. So, I say go for it Lyndsay.

February 6, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donald

@Mike

A broken femur is only a flesh wound compared to a blown up knee. The femur will heal and continue doing what a femur does. Even after surgery, her knee will never be as strong as it was pre-crash.

February 6, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. zisee

I wonder if Tiger was with her????????????? It really is a shame, a person like who spends most of their lives practicing and perfecting their sport. I hope she can eventually ski again.

February 6, 2013 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. BW

she will be back! go Lindsey!! boston bob is spot-on: truly a legend n

February 6, 2013 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mole

Who cares. I don't understand this facination with Vonn. Julia Mancuso is much more interesting and a better skiier in my opinion and all I hear about is Vonn this and Vonn that. Sick of hearing about it.

Vonn: Best of luck!

Mancuso: You rock!

February 6, 2013 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • topgun

Mole, If Julie was better, you wouldn't see Vonn this and Vonn that. She's a beauty and a beast. Adrian Peterson injury, and she'll be back just like Street did after her knee blow out. I hope Sedman does the repair. She'll be on skis by summer.

February 6, 2013 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Forrestal

" I don't understand this facination with Vonn."

Seen her in a bikini?

February 6, 2013 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • jponce

Aww come on. She's a great athlete, an Olympic gold medalist, beautiful, intelligent, and humble. No need to hate on her.

February 6, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Mancuso is good. But Vonn did win the Olympic Gold medal in the downhill...a first for American Women...that is significant.

February 6, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • phred

I like Julia Mancuso, but if your claim that she is a better skier than Vonn, why hasn't she won more races than Vonn?

February 9, 2013 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. Adm. Ackbar

It's a trap!

February 6, 2013 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  7. Forrestal

I don't understand this facination with Vonn."

Seen her in a bikini?

February 6, 2013 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. Chuck

She would probably ski better if she wasn't thinking about Tiger Woods cheating on her.

February 6, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mark Packer

Champions don't sit idle for long! She'll be back. Go Lindsey!

February 6, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. John

I'm glad that she is getting better. The doctors are a real help for making her act and do better.

February 6, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Stuart

hopefully the knee she exploded wont slow her down for long, look at Adrian Peterson.

February 6, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Gumba

Vonn is good but did not have chance this year Slovenian wonder Tina Maze even before injury !
    Maybe she will be back what is my wish!

February 6, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark Packer

You're kidding, right? Maze has only ever won a single downhill! Maze is dominating the overall standings, but to earn full respect in this sport you have to prove yourself in both speed events....that includes DOWNHILL! No offense, but as incredible as Maze is, she has a long way to go before you can start talking that kind of trash.

February 6, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gumba

I don't know where you have learned about skiing? It is a miracle being so dominating in all disciplines!
      For sure Vonn and Maze are one of the greatest but Maze is far better in this moment!

February 6, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Willy

Put the vodka down......

February 7, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. notsosad

no pity for anyone that bangs tiger woods.

February 6, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. James Taylor

Vonn when you play with a tiger you gonna get hurt.

February 8, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. john

The last Olympics she was coming off an injury and that was all we heard about up to and even during the events. Oh boy, can't wait for another year and Olympics of will Lindsey be able to ski.

February 11, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |