Iran's Qaher-313 fighter plane
February 8th, 2013

Iran's newest warplane something from 'GI Joe?'

First it was monkeys in space (or not) and now it’s “GI Joe” fighter jets. Not the best of times for Iran’s aviation and aerospace programs, at least if you listen to the skeptics.

First there were doubts about Tehran’s claim it sent a monkey into space in late January.  After photos of two different monkeys that were aboard the alleged one-monkey space shot surfaced, Iran media said there was a photo mix-up and, yes, there was just one Iranian monkey in space.

Then this week Iran unveiled what it said was its new high-tech stealth fighter plane. The jet shown in pictures on the website of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has been the butt of jokes all week from aviation bloggers.

“This aircraft looks a lot like an old GI Joe toy,” wrote one blogger.

And from another, “This has to be a joke, right?”

Click through the gallery above to see the bloggers' comments and evidence in the photos.

Iran unveils "flying boats"

Post by: ,
Filed under: Aviation • Iran • Military
soundoff (1,349 Responses)
  1. Zero Wing

All your base are belong to us...

February 11, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

They set us up the bomb!

February 11, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BOKinLarksville

Just how stupid is their leadership? When it comes to flying, I'm-A-Dinner-Jacket (a.k.a. Ahmadinejad) is about the only thing that can attract flies..

February 11, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hot Carl

I hear it can only fly in circles on a 100 foot string.

February 11, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jim M

Does anyone else find it odd that all the labels and tags on the plane are in English only? No Arabic anywhere on the plane. Al the banners on the wall are in Arabic, but not one Arabic letter on the plane. I would understand if there was both English and Arabic, but no Arabic at all... seems odd to me.

February 11, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. r2g

Ahh... it's so cute...

February 11, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sly

There ain't no one more arrogant or ignorant than the American public.

I respect Iran's space and self defense program – this is the sort of direction we need for the world – worry about your own country, build strong defense, and especially worry about the Imperialist Americans who have now invaded over 20 nations in the past 20 years.

Iran SHOULD arm themselves well since America invades Iran about every 15-20 years (3 times since 1975).

February 11, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vision

You are defending a repressive and murderous regime that has hundreds of thousands of political prisoners and you idiot moking Americans.

February 11, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Omstennis

What kind of weapon it can carry ? 'Bi..bi..Gun' ? there is no way it can carry a single Bomb, too heavy for the 'Hobbie Remote Control Airplane' ha...ha...ha...
    What kind of dumb Pilot willing to climp on this aircrat ? 'Kamikaze'?

February 11, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • ritmocojo

Maybe one of those monkeys they launced into space.

February 11, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ritmocojo

And their newest aircraft carrier looks more like the 'Good Ship Lolly Pop'.

February 11, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tommy

If this is an Iranian plane, why the writing on the plane is in English?

February 11, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • No Kidding

Because they couldn't find any Farsi language decals at Toys R Us

February 11, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Kind of like America, where everything now has to be followed by a Spanish translation.

February 11, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. zafod

The air intakes are to small, actually it looks to me like a 2/3 mockup.

February 11, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • SilverFox

Totally....I'm not sure this thing actually can carry weapons much less a pilot and fuel.

February 11, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kumar

Never under estimate your enemy. What they show and what they indeed have could be different. worry about your preparedness.

February 11, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gil Nodges

Riiigght....we've been OVERestimating this particular enemy for three decades now.

February 11, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steven

Kumar is correct – "Never under estimate your enemy....". What is displayed here could be different from what we don't hope for. Most comments on here seem to be mocking Iran's technology and capabilities. We need to be ready and the scalling down of the U.S milatry is I think a big mistake by our politicians. Iran is gearing up against any potential attack from the West. I don't blame them – they need to protect their own. Let's stop making fun of them and gear up here at home; making sure we remain the # 1 in military tactics.

February 11, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. shawski2013

Pretty good for a LEGO construction...

February 11, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. northerstar

I hope Jimmy Carter gets to ride in one.

February 11, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Louanne

I think it's a mock up to try to scare us off from attacking them. But it would be no match for any American plane, even those that are 50 years old.

February 11, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TS

I came across this article on my phone. I was curious, so I clicked the link to Ahmadinejad's site from the CNN article, to look at the pictures of the plane. The next day, I get a text message on my phone from allah@islam something or the other (I deleted the text message). The text in itself is no big deal, but I can't help but wonder if I picked up some other kind of spyware or virus just by visiting Ahmadinejad's site... So would advise you, not to go to Ahmadinejad's site. Do not click on the link in the CNN article. And CNN, if you are reading this, I would advise you remove the direct link to Ahmadinejad's website...I'm sure he appreciated the boost in internet traffic to his website.

February 11, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |