February 11th, 2013

Military extends some benefits to same-sex partners

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta announced just days before leaving office that the Pentagon is extending some benefits to the same-sex partners of service members.

Same-sex partners who sign a military "Declaration of Domestic Partnership" form will be eligible for several benefits, including military identification cards as dependents.

This would allow them unescorted status on bases, access to commissaries, and the right to visit their partners in military hospitals.

They will also be able to receive many survivor benefits, including life insurance payments.

FULL STORY
  1. Fashion Show In A Fox Hole

They get all the breaks.

February 11, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Bette Nesmith Graham

My husband and I had a wonderful son. He was a musician and an actor. If he had been gay, I still would have loved him.

February 11, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Some Thoughts Are Just Too Cruel To Mention

sorry sod panetta...what the he'll is a domestic partnership...why do I have to pay for someone to have a "boyfriend"? "girlfriend"? to be commonlaw most require you be together with proof for 7years...with this criteria just be gay with friend...nothing else...so stuuuuupid...is there's a limit to how many partners you can have? maybe i should make my sick mother my partner so she can get my benefits...duh!

February 11, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Rascal Rabble

sorry sod panetta! whose gonna finance this fiasco? how many partner(s) can one declare with this declaration...this doesn't even has the stringent requirements of common-law! maybe everyone should declare their dependent sick parent a domestic partner so at least they can use military benefits...soo stupid!

February 11, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio)"Right Wing Insanity"

I am probably wrong. But this seems so like a micro managed welfare system. One works, and the other (gay spouse) does nothing except lay around collecting benifits.

February 11, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio)"Right Wing Insanity"

Theres an old song (The purpose of the man is to love the woman). Not any more.

February 11, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

The USA is very late in providing equality regarding these benefits.
    "Some" benefits will not be sufficient.
    DOMA was given as as excuse for the continuation of injustice. DOMA has to go.

February 11, 2013 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. ronvan

First I am a 24yr. ret. Army Viet Nam Vet.. 2nd I really do not have anything against gays/lesbians. HOWEVER

February 12, 2013 at 5:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. ronvan

OOPS, wrong button! HOWEVER, what I dislike about this and other issues is that, it is being 'FORCED" on US! WE have been FORCED to accept THEIR morals, standards, etc., and if not then we are wrong! This particular move by "pun nutty" is just WRONG! But, as we see even our "leaders?" are being FORCED to accept to many things that have been FORCED on them!

February 12, 2013 at 5:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Hamsta

My friend shook hands with Obama, my friend says Obama has softer hands than any woman he knows. What else would you expect from a man with soft hands?

February 12, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply