Long, slow recovery from Superstorm Sandy
February 12th, 2013

Sandy expected to be second-costliest cyclone ever

Hurricane Sandy is expected to rank as the second-costliest tropical cyclone on record, after Hurricane Katrina of 2005, and will probably be the sixth-costliest cyclone when adjusting for inflation, population and wealth normalization factors, the National Hurricane Center said in a report released on Tuesday afternoon.

The number of deaths caused by Sandy is estimated to be 147. In the United States, 72 deaths occurred, making Sandy the deadliest U.S. cyclone outside of the southern states since Hurricane Agnes of 1972, the report said.

Meteorologists classify hurricanes, tropical storms and tropical depressions as tropical cyclones.

Post by:
Filed under: Superstorm Sandy • Tropical weather • Weather
  1. Paterno Family Car, 1966

How much more complaining is the north east going to do? Clean up after your little zephyr breeze already.

February 12, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

At least they aren't trying to claim a minimal hurricane is worse than a cat5 anymore. Patience they are making progress, in time they will realize storms like Sandy are just a minor incovenience by Louisiana standards.

February 12, 2013 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • ..

Somebody is singing warm-up mi mi mi's again.

February 12, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ..

Lol. It may have not been a category 5n but the wide-spread damage across the eastern seaboard, a 1000 mi storm, is why it was a big deal. LOL. Don't suppose you'd ever admit that, memememe.

February 12, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Fire Island

I don't know what ivory tower or delusional parallel universe you live in, Hamsta, but the storm that destroyed many parts of the northeast was far from minimal. And, as far as your inference to it being a 'minor inconvenience', it is at best insensitive to the hundreds, and hundreds of people who have either lost their homes, or have sustained devastating damages to them. More likely, your statement is written from ignorance coupled with the lack of empathic ability on your part. My wish for you is that you never know, from the first person perspective, the reality of either being a survivor of such a storm, or the recipient of such an ignorant statement as you have written.

February 12, 2013 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

I already am a survivor of a storm much, much worse. Sandy had 13 foot of surge, Katrina had 25 feet of surge. That Sandy was a minimal hurricane, Katrina was a category 5 before it hit land. Insurance screwed me over and so did the feds. I lost everything I own, had insurance but I am left on my own to pick up the pieces all the meanwhile these yankees say things like "Why rebuild New Orleans, it's just a fish bowl.". Hey retaeda 40% of your power needs come from Louisiana and without our ports the surrounding 3 states would go bankrupt. Take a look at all the damage you see, it is minimal by Louisiana stamdards.

February 13, 2013 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I think it would behoove you to travel to other states once in a while, Hamsta.
      Louisiana is a beautiful state, but it isn't the only state.

February 13, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Hundreds and hundreds, listen at this fool. Hundreds and hundreds died in my neighborhood alone for Katrina. The total death count was more than 1200 for New orleans during Katrina. You're right banasy Louisiana isn't the only state, if add Mississippi to the equation thousands upon thousands had nothing but a patch of concrete left after katrina. My house is at the bottom of the gulf of mexico somewher so again like I said Sandy was just a minor inconvenience.

February 13, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Yes, hamsta, Katrina has killed many; have I ever said otherwise? No. I have family down there, as you are aware of. I do have first hand knowledge, as they survived the storm, also.
      My empathy has been demonstrated here again and again; I believe you have called me a bleeding heart. I have said nothing in my post that is derogatory to NO; I do not understand why you would call me a fool for merely pointing out that you should travel to other states.
      My wish for you is to see more than your own viewpoint. You are quite difficult to converse with. I don't think I shall try anymore.

February 14, 2013 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. rawoyster

QUIT calling it a hurricane!!!! The NWS did not declare it a hurricane so all those people in the northeast weren't subject to the hurricane deductible on their homeowners policies. The only HURRICANE that hit the US in 2012 was Isaac. Yes, the people in Louisiana got screwed again.

February 13, 2013 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Well, I see I'm being blocked again. Must have hit my daily limit of 10, or something.

February 13, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Scottish Mama

@Hamsta- I think the article said the costliest, not the most devistating. Sorry to hear that the insurance Co. and government was not there for you. Are you mad at the GOP for not being there?

February 13, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Would it surprise you if I told you I was more angry at Obama's response to the BP disaster? Katrina just washed my house out to sea, BP deposits millions of gallons of oil on pristine land owned by my family and just because you can't see oil on the surface Obama calls the cleanup a job well done. My family's land is going to have to become a superfund site just to clean more than 2 foot of depth on that land. That will cost billions, I can build a new house for much less than that.

February 13, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Scottish Mama

Hamsta- I have wondered where the billions that are collected from BP by fines by the government are used? Do the people effected by the damage given money for clean up? Or does the government just clean it? Or are the home owners left on their own? Or can you get a class action suit against BP and make them clean up your land? Sorry I was the why child.lol

February 13, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

We are in the process of suing everybody right now. BP, Transocean, and the feds not to forget the state and local governments owe millions to us in royalties for oil and mineral rights.

February 13, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Seamusgirl

Good luck getting your money from the banks and corporations for this. I hope all will be healed and re-built but let us remember that they only cared if Wall Street was back up before they gave the serfs and peons any power or humanitarian aide. American is not for the people by the people anymore..its a "money-ocracy". You got money, you got a government that cares..if not..oh well..you will mange to eke it out "somehow" just dont be late to work the next day.

February 14, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |