February 13th, 2013

Wednesday's live events

President Obama and Congress look to avert $85 billion in automatic across-the-board spending cuts scheduled for March 1.  Watch CNN.com Live for continuing coverage of the sequestration crisis.

Today's programming highlights...

10:00 am ET - Postal Service crisis hearing - The U.S. Postal Service is ending most Saturday delivery amid concerns that its time is running short.  Can the USPS be saved?  The House Government Affairs Committee looks into the matter.

10:00 am ET - Treasury Secretary nomination hearing - Jack Lew faces the Senate Finance Committee as he seeks to become the next treasury secretary.  Expect plenty of questions on the U.S. economy, spending and debt.

11:00 am ET - LAPD briefing on Dorner case - Is ex-cop and murder suspect Christopher Dorner dead?  Police are working to confirm if the remains found in a burned cabin are that of Dorner.  Meantime, Los Angeles police will brief reporters on the case.

12:00 pm ET - Obama talks manufacturing - President Obama will make his first post-State of the Union public comment in Asheville, North Carolina, where he'll discuss job growth and manufacturing.

12:30 pm ET - Jodi Arias murder trial - Jodi Arias is expected to continue her testimony at her murder trial in Arizona.  Arias is accused of killing her ex-boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in 2008.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Budget • Congress • Economy • Politics • U.S. Postal Service
  1. chrissy

Ok @ bobcat, come out, come out wherever you are! We need some FRESH jokes now! Lmao

February 13, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. chrissy

Lol @ dazzle,Coney Island dont smell so great neither! And you gotta step over ppl sleeping on the sidewalks with flies buzzing all over em!

February 13, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. chrissy

You're very welcome dear bobcat! Lol

February 13, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. dazzle ©

@chrissy, Coney Island is a pit. No thanks to that.

February 13, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. chrissy

Lol you guys are sure gettin alotta mileage outta this! Lol. And yea @ dazzle, coney island is the only place in New York i wouldnt care to ever visit again. Well with the exception of the Sewage Plant of course!

February 13, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

Chrissy, why would you go visit a sewage treatment plant, unless you were forced to by a school field trip? (Yep. Our school was pretty lame in the field trip area.)

February 13, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@banasy- must have been for those budding sewer workers?lol

February 13, 2013 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dazzle ©

Eye Roll at you @cnn, deleting a harmless post.

February 13, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. chrissy

And yet they keep the posts of the troll up and the rants of hamsta!

February 13, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH (that's a cry of frustration)
    Why won't you let me post CNN ?

February 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Basil Wrathbone

They are enamoured of your wonderful hat, my dear bobcat. Green with envy and jealousy. Until you remove it and give it to them, they will continue deleting your posts. It happens all the time with imaginary hats, I'm afraid. Sorry.

February 13, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

But the thing is my dear Basil, the hat is real.

February 13, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Basil Wrathbone

Is it? Are you sure? How shocking. So then you are a real bobcat as well? Even more shocking! You should notify CNN. That sort of thing is right up their alley, so to speak. You could do very well indeed. An internet-using bobcat is surely bigger news than anything being put out today. A thousand questions come to mind, but I won't trouble you with them here.
      I'll leave that sort of thing to the CNN crew, who will undoubtedly refuse to cooperate until you give them your hat.

February 13, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Me thinks I have detect a hint of jealousy in thy voice oh mighty Basil. (the mighty basil who I am oh so certain is a genuine article)
      Dost thou wisheth so badly to be me ?

February 13, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Basil Wrathbone

As I have been trying to say for the past ten minutes, I have no wish to be a bobcat with or without a hat. The cost of litter would ruin me utterly. They let me post this after I threw them a hat, so you might consider the possibility that I am actually correct about the hat thing. Maybe you should try it next time. What could it hurt? They appear to be willing to accept digital and imaginary hats. Why not give them one? You have plenty, do you not?

February 13, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Yes Basil, I am a cat of many hats. And when it suits the purpose, I actually take off my hat. But I do that for one and only one reason.

February 13, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Basil Wrathbone

Like a cowboy? How droll.

February 13, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

How droll ? Your mind is in the wrong place. I meant to take a shower.

February 13, 2013 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

Lol @ banasy, THATS the quirky part. They say its by "overwhelming demand." I think they are lying!

February 13, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

'Overwhelming demand'. Lol.
      What a romantic date. Not.

February 13, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

The love tunnel.
      @banasy – 1st and last date.

February 13, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dazzle ©

Still blocked, this sux.

February 13, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. chrissy

That or....the mayor wants everyone to know what those 32 oz sodas turn into?

February 13, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. chrissy

Oh and of course even ONE demand would be overwhelming in my mind! Lol

February 13, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Scottish Mama

The mayor is so contrary, he would just Pooh, pooh, the idea. lol

February 13, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. bobcat (in a hat)©

At the end of the tour you're taken to the commisary and treated to a poo-poo plater. The hawaiians love it.

February 13, 2013 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. chrissy

Lol @ Scottish Mama, that was awesome! I guess so far this has been my favorite topic of the day!

February 13, 2013 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply