Ex-San Diego mayor: I took $2M from charity to fund $1B gambling habit
Ex-San Diego Mayor Maureen O'Connor acknowledged in court that she gambled away money from her late husband's charity.
February 15th, 2013

Ex-San Diego mayor: I took $2M from charity to fund $1B gambling habit

Former San Diego Mayor Maureen O'Connor allegedly told the IRS that she won $1 billion by gambling but lost even more over nine years. And when the losses piled up, she took a couple million dollars from her late husband's charity, prosecutors say.

O'Connor, the first woman mayor of San Diego, has acknowledged in court that she misappropriated more than $2 million from the foundation to fund her casino gambling habit. Her attorney said a brain tumor affected O'Connor's judgment at the time.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Courts • Crime • Justice
  1. chrissy

Q: Whats worse than a politician? A: Nothing!

February 15, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. the prophet

The United States of Anerica is a registered corporation in Delwere, and like all individuals and corporation it too should file income and corporate tax. The IRS is losing trillions there, who is in favor?

February 15, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

I like casinos too. My last visit was almost twenty years ago–and I have a roulette system that often works.
    I set a limit, an amount of money I can easily afford to throw away. When that is exhausted, I leave.
    Sometimes, I've stopped with a nice profit.

February 15, 2013 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

PS: Tell Former Mayor O'Connor that I am willing to sell her my roulette system for $ 5,000.00

February 15, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

$5000.00 for common sense.
      She cannot afford it.

February 15, 2013 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. the prophet

I like casino too, and when I go there I clean them out

February 15, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

She looks like Aint Bea from the Andy Griffith show.

February 15, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

Opie wept.

February 15, 2013 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve McGarrett

"Bobcat" is dead-on with his "Aunt Bee" look-alike observation, and yes... her character name in the Andy Griffith Show of the 1960's was spelled "Bee" rather than "Bea." And just for kicks, do a search for Frances Bavier and then former Mayor Maureen O'Connor and you will see the similarity as "Bobcat" pointed out...

February 16, 2013 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Pete

@Steve McGarrett,book em Danno!!

February 16, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. the prophet

@dazzel :)

February 15, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. dazzle ©

Hello prophet. @bobcat is right, Aunt Bee or Bea with a drinking problem.

February 15, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. the prophet

Test who is the Strowman?

February 15, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dazzle ©

@the prophet is that test for me or anybody?

February 15, 2013 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. the prophet

@dazzle I knew you would get it Ty :)

February 15, 2013 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. ronvan

"brain tumor" is the excuse! Just like anyone else they always have an excuse! Stupidity is an excuse! NOT!

February 16, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. chrissy

Lol @ ronvan, even when they are SOS=stuck on stupid? Lol

February 16, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. chrissy

So she took 2 million cuz she owed 1 BILLION??? No wonder she ended up in such a mess, she cant count!

February 17, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply