Man accused of slapping crying boy on flight loses his job
February 18th, 2013

Man accused of slapping crying boy on flight loses his job

An Idaho man accused of uttering a racial slur and slapping a crying 2-year-old boy on a Delta Air Lines flight is now out of a job.

Joe Rickey Hundley of Hayden, Idaho, was charged with assaulting a minor for the February 8 incident. His company, which initially suspended him, said Sunday that Hundley had been let go.

"Reports of the recent behavior of one of our business unit executives while on personal travel are offensive and disturbing," said a statementfrom AGC Aerospace & Defense. "We have taken this matter very seriously and worked diligently to examine it since learning of the matter on Friday afternoon.

"As of Sunday, the executive is no longer employed with the company."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Air travel • Travel • U.S.
  1. Monica Key

Oh boy..... now he might come back with an AR-15
    and wipe out everyone at his old job!
    When will it stop?

February 18, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • vinster76

maybe he should just follow Joe Biden's advice and use a shotgun, not take as many with him....He deserved to get fired absolutely, I am just a bit concerned if the company would have fired him if the child had been white.....just wondering.......

February 21, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Govani

I caught a flying baby at the airport.
    Its true. If only it had been on video. That early AM, I was on the electric underground tram-train taking me to an outer airport hub. And by a rare stroke of luck, I had nothing in my hands. A lady came running, in high heels, with a baby carriage, on the platform to board the tram.

One could see as she ran toward the rain, that I was already inside of, that she was a high strung, over-dressed (ie., man shopping) lady. The doors of the train were going to close any second. The front wheels of the carriage hit the gap, about 1.5 inches or more, between the train and the platform. The carriage instantly froze in position as its front wheels hit the gap.

The baby, was apparently not strapped in, and literally flew. I was about 4 feet away, exactly in the flight path.
    I raised my arms, and "bump", the baby was in my arms. Quite an amazing event of luck and timing. At least I think so.

February 18, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • babydoc

I think you are on something and just flat-out made that up!

February 27, 2013 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. Guest

Guilty until proven innocent?

February 18, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jules

You mean if it turns out the lady, the flight crew and all the people around them were lying?

February 19, 2013 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Peggy

You mean if it turns out he was standing his ground? Or acting in self defense?

February 20, 2013 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Danny Ocean

Self defense and standing his ground against a baby?
      what a girly man, no wonder right wingers cannot survive without guns, they are wimps.

February 22, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • jebeccabe

I'm slightly disturbed by your comment "If it turns out that he was telling the truth and the mother was lying, instead of the other way around, does he get his job back? And his reputation?" Really? I don't care if the child whipped off his diaper and pi$$ed on this man. He slapped a freaking 19 month old child! There is no chance he was right! What LIE could there have been? Several people witnessed the slap. The child has the scratches to prove it. And since he turned himself in, he's not denied the slap. His only concern? That people don't think he's racist for calling a toddler the "N" word.

Yeah, I certainly hope we can spare the poor suckers reputation, too!

February 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JoeBlow

Not to excuse this perp, but had he not hit the child, my sympathies would have been with him. The parents of this child who did nothing to stop the child from disturbing others, was probably just as bad a person as someone who would want to smack a kid, that is "would want to" but would not do it.
    I've seen far too many parents "discriminate" against whom they will let their child bother and whom they will stop their child from bothering.
    This is no small issue, as this happens far more often than not.

February 18, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • child of midian

No sympathy for the baby who can't understand the pressure in her ears or how to elevated it? The mother was trying to comfort the baby, they were landing, it would have all have been over soon.

You're such an ignorant, self-righteous, pathetic turd and I hope the next time you're in pain and/or discomfort someone slaps you and blames your mother.

February 19, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Boohoo

They should have a section on the plane for passengers with kids, because they can be very annoying .

February 22, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

You know who else is very annoying on planes? EVERYONE – since they pack you in like sardines.

February 26, 2013 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Heather

They shouldn't be allowed to sell alcohol on airplanes anyway. And the airline has some liability for serving an intoxicated person. It is a good thing he lost his job because a first offense assault on a minor probably wouldn't even resulted in jail time. I would think assaulting someone on an aircraft would have violated some federal laws and put him on the no fly list.

March 11, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |