Man accused of slapping crying boy on flight loses his job
February 18th, 2013

Man accused of slapping crying boy on flight loses his job

An Idaho man accused of uttering a racial slur and slapping a crying 2-year-old boy on a Delta Air Lines flight is now out of a job.

Joe Rickey Hundley of Hayden, Idaho, was charged with assaulting a minor for the February 8 incident. His company, which initially suspended him, said Sunday that Hundley had been let go.

"Reports of the recent behavior of one of our business unit executives while on personal travel are offensive and disturbing," said a statementfrom AGC Aerospace & Defense. "We have taken this matter very seriously and worked diligently to examine it since learning of the matter on Friday afternoon.

"As of Sunday, the executive is no longer employed with the company."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Air travel • Travel • U.S.
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

I cannot imagine hitting a child. Something is very wrong with this man.
    Being on a plane near a screaming infant is very irritating, and it's more irritating when the parent is not trying to calm the child. Sometimes a parent will explain, "he's scared," or, "his ears are popping," doing nothing to stop the noise.
    I am much more irritated when I have to sit beside another passenger so astoundingly obese that he cannot prevent his spilling into my seat. I think that anyone that fat should be required to buy two tickets, or to stay home to eat.
    These days, too many parents allow their children to run at dangerous speeds in stores and on the street, obviously unaware of physics and the possibility of hurting someone else, not to mention themselves: "he was so little, how could he knock you down?" Responsible citizens tell those children of the danger.

February 18, 2013 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
    • ..

Oh, those pesky kids. Oh, those pesky parents. Oh, those pesky obese peeps.

February 18, 2013 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason

How does this relate to the article?

February 18, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO

Hey JIF. I don't fly so much any more for my job, but I used to. If a toddler is crying on a flight, especially during take off or decent I feel sorry for the kid. I don't get angry. Their ears may hurt due to the pressure changes. Keep in mind that your ears lose sensitivity to higher frequencies as you get older. There may be a high pitched whine that the adults can't hear. To say nothing of the fact that everything is unfamiliar and scary.

One time I saw a kid 19 or 20 I would guess, travelling with his mom. A really nasally, irritating guy. He was tring to pull the in-flight magazine from the seat front pocket in front of him. He was having trouble with it, jerking it around in an exaggerated way. Finally it came free, and he punched the seat in frustration, not even considering there was a person in that seat. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to fly.

February 18, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

Is "Joe Rickey Hundley" really that man's legal name? Is it on his birth certificate?
    That would be a good place to begin a psychiatric background.

February 18, 2013 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

Wow @ Joey, i cant imagine how you think either one of those posts has anything to do with this issue. As for this incident if a parent isnt allowed to smack their screaming child how does an airline worker feel he can?

February 18, 2013 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. ..

An airline employee didn't.

February 18, 2013 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

last week I stopped an unattended child from running around a supermarket. I didn't touch him, and I certainly didn't hit him. I just told him why it was unsafe to run there, and he stopped. His mother was nowhere in sight, and I asked him where she was.
    It takes a village.
    @ chrissy: did you read my second sentence at 3:59 am? I wrote, "something is very wrong with this man." That is what I think: he may have been drunk, but few drunk men or women would hit another person's child. I think he is mentally ill.
    It's obvious that he's a bigot. Was I supposed to expound on the obvious?

February 18, 2013 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
    • ronvan

JIF: YEP, have see the same situations many times. HOWEVER, lets not forget that in "todays world", and for me, personally, we have way to many people involved in OUR lives! An unruly child in public, and the "parents" administer some kind of corporal punishment CAN result in another reporting the incident to the almighty DFCS! I am NOT against corporal punishment, in restraint! To do NOTHING is to admit failure or to show the child they did NOTHING wrong!

February 18, 2013 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. fernace

Had he already been fired, wife left, dog run away?? He was obviously in a hissy-tizzy about something & took it out on a baby! Unforgivable!!

February 18, 2013 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. Scottish Mama

Hitting someones child is never a good thing and it would only make them cry more. Duh.

February 18, 2013 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jason

The KKK has offered him a job as Grand Wizard.

February 18, 2013 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. 1608

Judge I didn't hit the kid, he tried to bite me and his mother thought I hit him. Case closed can I go home now?

February 18, 2013 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. Adam

If he did what he's accused of, he deserves every bit of what he gets. With that in mind, aren't we a country of due process and "innocent until proven guilty"?

February 18, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just me

No, we're a country of trying people in the press first. Don't believe me? See all posts related to Oscar Pistorius or Jodi Arias.

With that said, I'm pretty sure that none of us will have anything to do with his trial, conviction or exoneration. We're just offering (wait for it) COMMENTS!

February 22, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Some ordinary dude

Emotions will always get you in trouble.

February 18, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Some ordinary dude

Emotions are more dangerous than guns.

February 18, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. thebigguy

Hey Joey I'm the big man who like to sit next to whiners like you. Next time why don't you verbalize your disgust to my face or to the face of the next big person who sits next to you. I can guarantee you will be the next to be slapped. What a creep you are. Judging others by their size. I'd buy 3 tickets if it meant you didn't get a seat and had to take another flight.

February 18, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ thebigguy:
      You're the one? Then buy two tickets before you board, and you'll get two seats.
      If you were a 'cellist, you'd buy an extra ticket for your instrument and we could all plan how many seats would be occupied.
      When there are two or three of you pretending to be just one, my flight is made needlessly uncomfortable.
      What really bothers you is that somebody dares to forego being PC and calls you fat. It is not attractive, no matter how you try to delude yourself.

February 18, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Psyllicon

@BigGuy
      If you are unable to restrain yourself from occupying a/o interfering with another passenger's personal space *(which s/he paid for 'personal' use of – not in a socialistic whim at sharing with an obese/arrogant/ignorant passenger who just happened to be seated next to her/him) then quite frankly you should be REQUIRED to pay for whatever space you occupy~

February 18, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO

@BigGuy, have you ever heard the expression "The right of your fist ends where the tip of my nose begins."

No one's rights are absolute at the expense of the rights of others. If you don't fit in one seat, that is too bad, but it is not my problem. It is yours. So buy two seats.

And yes, I know you are just a troll, not really a big guy, but this is just the sort of thing I believe in and just the sort of point that I think should be made.

February 18, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rascal Rabble

poor baby was probally cranky from its ears poppin'...there are disgusting parents who refuse to move their crying babies elsewhere until they quiet down...but on a plane where can you go? sorry, the guy would be one hurt dude if he hit my child...the stewardess would had to duck tape mie...

February 18, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. BOMBO

A few years ago in Edmonton there was a kid in a cheap downtown area. His parents let him ride his trike around in the back alley unsupervised while they were upstairs in the apartment. A cable TV installer backed over him with his van and killed him. Then the parents had the gall to sue the driver and the cable company. Supervise your kids, or don't have them.

February 18, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |