Pistorius' affidavit in alleged murder
South Africa's Olympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius buries in court on Tuesday.
February 19th, 2013

Pistorius' affidavit in alleged murder

Following is a partial text of Oscar Pistorius' affidavit handed out in a South African court on Tuesday as he sought bail after being accused of murdering his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp, on Valentine's Day.

16.2 I have been informed that I am accused of having committed the offence of murder. I deny the aforesaid allegation in the strongest terms.

16.3 I am advised that I do not have to deal with the merits of the case for purposes of the bail application. However, I believe that it is appropriate to deal with the merits in this application, particularly in view of the State’s contention that I planned to murder Reeva. Nothing can be further from the truth and I have no doubt that it is not possible for the State to present objective facts to substantiate such an allegation, as there is no substance in the allegation. I do not know on what different facts the allegation of a premeditated murder could be premised and I respectfully request the State to furnish me with such alleged facts in order to allow me to refute such allegations.

16.4 On the 13th of February 2013 Reeva would have gone out with her friends and I with my friends. Reeva then called me and asked that we rather spend the evening at home. I agreed and we were content to have a quiet dinner together at home. By about 22h00 on 13 February 2013 we were in our bedroom. She was doing her yoga exercises and I was in bed watching television. My prosthetic legs were off. We were deeply in love and I could not be happier. I know she felt the same way. She had given me a present for Valentine’s Day but asked me only to open it the next day.

16.5 After Reeva finished her yoga exercises she got into bed and we both fell asleep.

16.6 I am acutely aware of violent crime being committed by intruders entering homes with a view to commit crime, including violent crime. I have received death threats before. I have also been a victim of violence and of burglaries before. For that reason I kept my firearm, a 9 mm Parabellum, underneath my bed when I went to bed at night.

16.7 During the early morning hours of 14 February 2013, I woke up, went onto the balcony to bring the fan in and closed the sliding doors, the blinds and the curtains. I heard a noise in the bathroom and realised that someone was in the bathroom.

16.8 I felt a sense of terror rushing over me. There are no burglar bars across the bathroom window and I knew that contractors who worked at my house had left the ladders outside. Although I did not have my prosthetic legs on I have mobility on my stumps.

16.9 I believed that someone had entered my house. I was too scared to switch a light on.

16.10 I grabbed my 9mm pistol from underneath my bed. On my way to the bathroom I screamed words to the effect for him/them to get out of my house and for Reeva to phone the police. It was pitch dark in the bedroom and I thought Reeva was in bed.

16.11 I noticed that the bathroom window was open. I realised that the intruder/s was/were in the toilet because the toilet door was closed and I did not see anyone in the bathroom. I heard movement inside the toilet. The toilet is inside the bathroom and has a separate door.

16.12 It filled me with horror and fear of an intruder or intruders being inside the toilet. I thought he or they must have entered through the unprotected window. As I did not have my prosthetic legs on and felt extremely vulnerable, I knew I had to protect Reeva and myself. I believed that when the intruder/s came out of the toilet we would be in grave danger. I felt trapped as my bedroom door was locked and I have limited mobility on my stumps.

16.13 I fired shots at the toilet door and shouted to Reeva to phone the police. She did not respond and I moved backwards out of the bathroom, keeping my eyes on the bathroom entrance. Everything was pitch dark in the bedroom and I was still too scared to switch on a light. Reeva was not responding.

16.14 When I reached the bed, I realised that Reeva was not in bed. That is when it dawned on me that it could have been Reeva who was in the toilet. I returned to the bathroom calling her name. I tried to open the toilet door but it was locked. I rushed back into the bedroom and opened the sliding door exiting onto the balcony and screamed for help.

16.15 I put on my prosthetic legs, ran back to the bathroom and tried to kick the toilet door open. I think I must then have turned on the lights. I went back into the bedroom and grabbed my cricket bat to bash open the toilet door. A panel or panels broke off and I found the key on the floor and unlocked and opened the door. Reeva was slumped over but alive.

16.16 I battled to get her out of the toilet and pulled her into the bathroom. I phoned Johan Stander (“Stander”) who was involved in the administration of the estate and asked him to phone the ambulance. I phoned Netcare and asked for help. I went downstairs to open the front door.

16.17 I returned to the bathroom and picked Reeva up as I had been told not to wait for the paramedics, but to take her to hospital. I carried her downstairs in order to take her to the hospital. On my way down Stander arrived. A doctor who lives in the complex also arrived. Downstairs, I tried to render the assistance to Reeva that I could, but she died in my arms.

16.18 I am absolutely mortified by the events and the devastating loss of my beloved Reeva. With the benefit of hindsight I believe that Reeva went to the toilet when I went out on the balcony to bring the fan in. I cannot bear to think of the suffering I have caused her and her family, knowing how much she was loved. I also know that the events of that tragic night were as I have described them and that in due course I have no doubt the police and expert investigators will bear this out.

Filed under: Crime • South Africa
  1. Buddy

He said that he yelled at the intruder would'nt she say something back at him? If any of you believe this guy I have some Ocean front Property in Oklahoma for Sale real cheap

February 19, 2013 at 10:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Mark

where is the explanation of the screaming and shouting heard by witnesses?

February 19, 2013 at 11:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • DameFuego

Did you read the excerpt? He was screaming repeatedly for the intruder to come out and for Reeva to call for help.

February 19, 2013 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

He means the yelling & screaming the neighbors heard a couple of hours prior to the shooting. Oscar must be denying that they were fighting earlier in the evening but neighbors reported hearing yelling coming from Oscars house about 3 or 4 hours before hearing the gunshots. At least that was one media report I read.

February 19, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. john

Hello
    We need more information to make an informed decision. That being said how many posting have spent time in South Africa and understand the violence that occurs daily. My wife is from South Africa and the last few times we visited we watched ourselves every step of the way. Intruders happen daily and we can count the number of our friends and relatives that have been killed and injured in just a similar way. It is plausible if you understand the crime in South Africa.

February 19, 2013 at 11:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • aMom

You are familiar w/ South Africa. Is it customary to take a key and lock yourself in the "toilet" when using the facility in the middle of the night?

February 19, 2013 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Boytjie

@aMom: as someone that grew up in South Africa, there was always a key in our toilet door and I knwo knwo my mom always used it. I don't know who else would use it consistently but I do know it is not unusual. Also just as an FYI: in SA toilets are most often a separate room from the bathroom (hence him noticing the bathroom window open while the toilet door is locked).

February 20, 2013 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • MK60

Not to mention standing in your home without legs and feet. As a woman in a man's world, I know terror. I can only imagine what it must be like to be physically vulnerable in that way.

Regardless, it is hard to believe he would shoot without first figuring out where Reeva was. It is just mind boggling. And yet I understand your point. Such a pity.

February 22, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Portland tony

I always feel threatened when the bathroom is locked! What a bunch of ......!

February 19, 2013 at 11:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • jon

Another senseless killing with a gun. No intruders folks. This story is just hooey.

February 19, 2013 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. Steve

" I grabbed my 9mm pistol from underneath my bed. On my way to the bathroom I screamed words to the effect for him/them to get out of my house and for Reeva to phone the police."

So, she didn't respond when you "screamed" at her? You got up in the middle of the night and didn't turn on the lights, so your eyes were adjusted. You grab your gun and are worried about her as well, yet you don't check "in any way" to ensure that she is awake to make a call for help or taking cover? There are some holes here.

I understand being scared, but I think just about everyone would ensure there partner was up and not "go it alone" like you see in horror movies.

February 19, 2013 at 11:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve

I'm not sure why I put quotes around "in any way". I just got quote happy, I guess. Should have just capitalized it.

February 19, 2013 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • dike

The pistol was under the bed so when you went to get the pistol you did not bother to shake her to wake up silently... and are the lights to the house hidden? why after shooting etc etc the lights come on accidentally? was the lights in the bathroom ON, it should have been, so there is an indication that it was not an intruder.. why does she lock the bathroom door in the middle of the night? afraid of you? you should have locked the big window from the inside with has a ladder outside the window... When you screamed for her and she did not respond did you ever think she might have been taken a hostage?... did you have a fight with her that night and she got upset and went to the bathroom and locked herself and you got angry tried to break the door, she was leaning against the door to stop you.. and you wanted to shoot the door open and it got her?,,, why was she by the door when you shot? could you see her shadow from under the door? I think guilty....

February 19, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. William

Will he get a fair trial ? From the SA media reports extreme prejudice against whites there.

February 19, 2013 at 11:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • sly

Ho ho ho ... gee William, that's funny – white folks murder over 1 million of their slaves in South Africa and those darned slaves have some 'prejudice'.

Ha ha ha .... sorry ... but this is one fried jogger ... Murder is murder.

February 19, 2013 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  7. Hibernia86

Of course, if it had been an intruder and he had killed him, most people would be praising him for his quick thinking.

February 19, 2013 at 11:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • krj9

but it wasn't

February 19, 2013 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

No, we'd be saying he was lucky. Shooting a door, when you don't know who's behind it, is never good. All his thinking (as stated by him) is irrational. When you grab a gun in the middle of the night, you freakin' make sure your partner is up. You don't walk towards the bathroom, like you're in some horror film, while never verifying that your partner is awake and calling for help and/or hiding.

February 19, 2013 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • aMom

If it had been an intruder and he killed him we would not have heard the story. CNN buries stories in which guns stop crime or save a life.

February 19, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dayton

Unfortunately witnesses don't collaborate with him. Apparently there was a lot of screaming and yelling going on prior to the event leading to her death. Was she hiding from him? Was she being accused of being unfaithful? How did she get the crushed skull? Her Ipad and the bat hold a lot of evidence. I think he has more SPLAININ to do.

February 19, 2013 at 11:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Cheetah

So is your theory that you evolved from me.

February 19, 2013 at 11:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Dayton

If this guy gets away with this theory how many other spouses will follow suit. When you know there are only 2 of you in a house and it's dark wouldn't you want to physically feel your partner before you start shooting up the place? Nice try Oscar not buying it.

February 19, 2013 at 11:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • greennnnnn

I concur, Dayton. One doesn't even NEED to turn any light on to "see" if someone is in bed NEXT tot hem. Gimme a break. I call a big, fat B.S. on everything he's saying. It's all lies. I mean, it doesn't even make sense to anyone with even half a brain.

February 19, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Marsh

Agree.

Doesn't make sense to me. I want to know that my wife is safe and that she is on the phone while I am guarding the door yelling for the cs to come out.

This is a lie. He is poor at being a liar. Lots depend on the angle of the holes that enter to door. If it was an intruder would the intruder be sitting on the toilet? Where were the holes in the body, etc.

I think this boy will burn. This is the making of a "B" movie.

February 19, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Deb

Since when does either party of a couple living together "lock" the bathroom door?

February 19, 2013 at 11:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • conrad

I do it all the time. I don't want my partner to open the door and see/smell me making No. 2. I'd rather keep that one thing private ...

February 19, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • fjsutton

I am married, but I lock the bathroom door every time I go in it. My bathroom time is personal and is not open for visitors, not even my husband. So, I don't find anything unusual in locking the bathroom door, especially the door to the toilet, which in his case is a seperate room.

February 25, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kakete John

THis guy's story does not add up. So Reeva was in the bathroom without lights on??. So when he went to get his gun from under his pillow he never bothereed to let Reeva know that there was an intruder in the house? So when he went to the balcony, as he says, he did not have his prosthetics on and at the same time did not turn on lights? He wants us to believe that he was moving in the house on stumps without lights on?.
    To any sane person, on suspecting that an intruder was in the house, the first thing would be to verify that the second person in the house is not the one in the bathroom, then if this is positive, let that person know of the presence of an intruder.
    To me, his story does not carry water at all.

February 19, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Alexandra

His story doesn't make sense. First he said he grabbed his 9mm and on the way to the bathroom he yelled at him/them to get out and told Reeva to phone the police. Then he said he fired shots and told Reeva to phone the police. It was only after he fired shots that he noticed she didn't respond. Why didn't he notice that she didn't respond the first time he told her to phone the police? Wouldn't he have noticed she wasn't in the bed at that time? And wouldn't Reeva have heard him yell to get out, and yelled back at him that she was in the toilet? It doesn't make sense.

February 19, 2013 at 11:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Leo Mason

The account is a bit strange, weak, off key --–several not so evident events: why leave a window unprotected if one really is so scared of violent burglars? why not have a sensory burglar system in place? the vast majority of people would immediately have identified the whereabouts of a loved one...., etc. etc.

February 19, 2013 at 11:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Bill

Too many holes in this story. Why would a girlfriend OR intruder lock themselves in a bathroom? It never occurred to him that it was his girlfriend in there? Even if it didn't, after he yelled several times to her and she still didn't say anything. No way. He is toast. More gun violence.

February 19, 2013 at 11:41 am | Report abuse | Reply