Pistorius' affidavit in alleged murder
South Africa's Olympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius buries in court on Tuesday.
February 19th, 2013

Pistorius' affidavit in alleged murder

Following is a partial text of Oscar Pistorius' affidavit handed out in a South African court on Tuesday as he sought bail after being accused of murdering his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp, on Valentine's Day.

16.2 I have been informed that I am accused of having committed the offence of murder. I deny the aforesaid allegation in the strongest terms.

16.3 I am advised that I do not have to deal with the merits of the case for purposes of the bail application. However, I believe that it is appropriate to deal with the merits in this application, particularly in view of the State’s contention that I planned to murder Reeva. Nothing can be further from the truth and I have no doubt that it is not possible for the State to present objective facts to substantiate such an allegation, as there is no substance in the allegation. I do not know on what different facts the allegation of a premeditated murder could be premised and I respectfully request the State to furnish me with such alleged facts in order to allow me to refute such allegations.

16.4 On the 13th of February 2013 Reeva would have gone out with her friends and I with my friends. Reeva then called me and asked that we rather spend the evening at home. I agreed and we were content to have a quiet dinner together at home. By about 22h00 on 13 February 2013 we were in our bedroom. She was doing her yoga exercises and I was in bed watching television. My prosthetic legs were off. We were deeply in love and I could not be happier. I know she felt the same way. She had given me a present for Valentine’s Day but asked me only to open it the next day.

16.5 After Reeva finished her yoga exercises she got into bed and we both fell asleep.

16.6 I am acutely aware of violent crime being committed by intruders entering homes with a view to commit crime, including violent crime. I have received death threats before. I have also been a victim of violence and of burglaries before. For that reason I kept my firearm, a 9 mm Parabellum, underneath my bed when I went to bed at night.

16.7 During the early morning hours of 14 February 2013, I woke up, went onto the balcony to bring the fan in and closed the sliding doors, the blinds and the curtains. I heard a noise in the bathroom and realised that someone was in the bathroom.

16.8 I felt a sense of terror rushing over me. There are no burglar bars across the bathroom window and I knew that contractors who worked at my house had left the ladders outside. Although I did not have my prosthetic legs on I have mobility on my stumps.

16.9 I believed that someone had entered my house. I was too scared to switch a light on.

16.10 I grabbed my 9mm pistol from underneath my bed. On my way to the bathroom I screamed words to the effect for him/them to get out of my house and for Reeva to phone the police. It was pitch dark in the bedroom and I thought Reeva was in bed.

16.11 I noticed that the bathroom window was open. I realised that the intruder/s was/were in the toilet because the toilet door was closed and I did not see anyone in the bathroom. I heard movement inside the toilet. The toilet is inside the bathroom and has a separate door.

16.12 It filled me with horror and fear of an intruder or intruders being inside the toilet. I thought he or they must have entered through the unprotected window. As I did not have my prosthetic legs on and felt extremely vulnerable, I knew I had to protect Reeva and myself. I believed that when the intruder/s came out of the toilet we would be in grave danger. I felt trapped as my bedroom door was locked and I have limited mobility on my stumps.

16.13 I fired shots at the toilet door and shouted to Reeva to phone the police. She did not respond and I moved backwards out of the bathroom, keeping my eyes on the bathroom entrance. Everything was pitch dark in the bedroom and I was still too scared to switch on a light. Reeva was not responding.

16.14 When I reached the bed, I realised that Reeva was not in bed. That is when it dawned on me that it could have been Reeva who was in the toilet. I returned to the bathroom calling her name. I tried to open the toilet door but it was locked. I rushed back into the bedroom and opened the sliding door exiting onto the balcony and screamed for help.

16.15 I put on my prosthetic legs, ran back to the bathroom and tried to kick the toilet door open. I think I must then have turned on the lights. I went back into the bedroom and grabbed my cricket bat to bash open the toilet door. A panel or panels broke off and I found the key on the floor and unlocked and opened the door. Reeva was slumped over but alive.

16.16 I battled to get her out of the toilet and pulled her into the bathroom. I phoned Johan Stander (“Stander”) who was involved in the administration of the estate and asked him to phone the ambulance. I phoned Netcare and asked for help. I went downstairs to open the front door.

16.17 I returned to the bathroom and picked Reeva up as I had been told not to wait for the paramedics, but to take her to hospital. I carried her downstairs in order to take her to the hospital. On my way down Stander arrived. A doctor who lives in the complex also arrived. Downstairs, I tried to render the assistance to Reeva that I could, but she died in my arms.

16.18 I am absolutely mortified by the events and the devastating loss of my beloved Reeva. With the benefit of hindsight I believe that Reeva went to the toilet when I went out on the balcony to bring the fan in. I cannot bear to think of the suffering I have caused her and her family, knowing how much she was loved. I also know that the events of that tragic night were as I have described them and that in due course I have no doubt the police and expert investigators will bear this out.

Filed under: Crime • South Africa
  1. budshot

Pistorius is simply giving the classic gun fetishist's defense.

February 19, 2013 at 11:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • dike

He could have gotten away free if he had told I did not know the gun was loaded... Reeva must have loaded it... Its all her fault Duh...

February 19, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dee

He forgot to mention the police coming to the house earlier for a domestic violence call because they were fighting.

February 19, 2013 at 11:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • RockoT

He didn't mention that because it didn't happen.

Oh you mean, years ago – yeah it's pretty typical for couples to call the police to navigate their disputes, a fact of modern life. But it doesn't really fit into this case – the problem I have, is that we are supposed to believe he had an irrational fear of burglars and no concept of someone using the toilet at night. If that is the case – ashame for him, because it's just hard for anyone to believe.

February 19, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. battix

sorry but his story doesn't sit well with me, a burglar is going to lock themselves in the bathroom? to what steal the toilet paper? and if he realized it could have been her why would she have locked the bathroom door in the middle of the nightand not turn on a light? he goes to the balcony without his prosthetics and no lights? way too many "not something you would do" in an emergency situation for me to believe him.

February 19, 2013 at 11:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. No, No

Here's another example of a paranoid "good guy with a gun". Had this happened in America, this conversation would already be about guns.

February 19, 2013 at 11:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. mfstout

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty, but wow. That story is going to be very, very hard to swallow. He has time to get his gun, and shout repeatedly at the bathroom door, but he doesn't check to see if the bed is empty and if his girlfriend is in fact still in the bed. His girlfriend is in his bed every night. Presumably she uses the bathroom in the middle of the night or in the morning. Ad if he's screaming at the bathroom door, why doesn't this wake her up? Why isn't he shouting to the bed, "Hey Honey, are you in the bed?" This sounds like a story a lawyer would squeeze out of his client to save his butt. Don't know the truth, but if this is the best he's got, he's in real trouble. And what about the cricket bat?

February 19, 2013 at 11:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Pockets

He heard a noise when he got up, to go get the fan, rather than tell his sleeping friend. He got his gun from under the bed after screaming for her to call for help, and proceeds to fire 4 shots into a bathroom door. And all of this is done in pitch black. It's a load of B.S.

February 19, 2013 at 11:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Michelle

Right, the first time you called out to the so called intruders, Reeva would have responded letting you know it's her. If you had so many burgalaries and was so afraid where was you security system? You said the bedroom door was lock so you couldn't get back in. At what point was the bedroom door locked. When you heard the intrusion why not wake Reeva and say "Call the police." Instead of calling he police you call your friend? You're doing all of this back and forth on your stumps? Not making sense.

February 19, 2013 at 11:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jerry

And why would he not at the very least feel over on the other side of the bed to see if his girlfriend was indeed still in the bed ????? Does that make sense to anyone reading this nonsense ??!!!!

February 19, 2013 at 11:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Z_2k

According to his statement, it seems he thinks that his girlfriend is in bed when he gets up and goes out on the balcony, but that she may have gotten up and gone to the bathroom while he was on the balcony getting the fan. It does seem strange that, after he grabbed his pistol, "On my way to the bathroom I screamed words to the effect for him/them to get out of my house and for Reeva to phone the police." and she did not answer such that she could be identified. My wife would have screamed back at me "It's me ! Shut up, you'll scare the neighbors" or something to that effect.

February 19, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Reality Check

Is this even serious? How can people just flat out lie after they've murdered someone close to them? Does he have no remorse or guilt for what he's done? This is the dumbest story I've ever heard. Who is scared of a noise in the bathroom in the middle of the night? Of course, it's your partner in the bathroom! That's what people do sometimes in the middle of the night! What burglar is going to be sitting in the toilet? This is absolutely comical. Please fry this guy.

February 19, 2013 at 11:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. OJsGlove

I wonder if he looks like Mr. Crabs scurrying around to and fro on his stumps ?

February 19, 2013 at 11:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Fehan

It could happen like what he discribed. My neighbour, was a policeman, always seeping with gun under his pilow because there has been several break-in into neighbours house. One night his wife went to the rest room. the same thing happened. he got up and shot his wife in he rest room while yelling his wife to call the police....

February 19, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. SteveO

Am I reading correctly? Her skull was crushed??? If the answer is yes, then its a no brainer.

February 19, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • MK60

Another report that was found not to be true. And I won't even dignify your choice of words with a response.

February 22, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. George Morenstein

Why would she have felt the need to lock the toilet door ?
    It's not adding up.

February 19, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. john

liar liar pants on fire !!!!! He totally meant to kill her.

February 19, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Ivan

Story has too many holes. The timing of putting the leg on and the gun is not right. What good is it to grab the gun first if he can't walk to the door. Either he already have the leg on then fire which he lied, or shot and realize he shot someone while he is still in bed, and then put the leg on, but the woman would have to be dead by the time he get to the toilet. The math doesn't add up.

February 19, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply