Pistorius' affidavit in alleged murder
South Africa's Olympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius buries in court on Tuesday.
February 19th, 2013

Pistorius' affidavit in alleged murder

Following is a partial text of Oscar Pistorius' affidavit handed out in a South African court on Tuesday as he sought bail after being accused of murdering his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp, on Valentine's Day.

16.2 I have been informed that I am accused of having committed the offence of murder. I deny the aforesaid allegation in the strongest terms.

16.3 I am advised that I do not have to deal with the merits of the case for purposes of the bail application. However, I believe that it is appropriate to deal with the merits in this application, particularly in view of the State’s contention that I planned to murder Reeva. Nothing can be further from the truth and I have no doubt that it is not possible for the State to present objective facts to substantiate such an allegation, as there is no substance in the allegation. I do not know on what different facts the allegation of a premeditated murder could be premised and I respectfully request the State to furnish me with such alleged facts in order to allow me to refute such allegations.

16.4 On the 13th of February 2013 Reeva would have gone out with her friends and I with my friends. Reeva then called me and asked that we rather spend the evening at home. I agreed and we were content to have a quiet dinner together at home. By about 22h00 on 13 February 2013 we were in our bedroom. She was doing her yoga exercises and I was in bed watching television. My prosthetic legs were off. We were deeply in love and I could not be happier. I know she felt the same way. She had given me a present for Valentine’s Day but asked me only to open it the next day.

16.5 After Reeva finished her yoga exercises she got into bed and we both fell asleep.

16.6 I am acutely aware of violent crime being committed by intruders entering homes with a view to commit crime, including violent crime. I have received death threats before. I have also been a victim of violence and of burglaries before. For that reason I kept my firearm, a 9 mm Parabellum, underneath my bed when I went to bed at night.

16.7 During the early morning hours of 14 February 2013, I woke up, went onto the balcony to bring the fan in and closed the sliding doors, the blinds and the curtains. I heard a noise in the bathroom and realised that someone was in the bathroom.

16.8 I felt a sense of terror rushing over me. There are no burglar bars across the bathroom window and I knew that contractors who worked at my house had left the ladders outside. Although I did not have my prosthetic legs on I have mobility on my stumps.

16.9 I believed that someone had entered my house. I was too scared to switch a light on.

16.10 I grabbed my 9mm pistol from underneath my bed. On my way to the bathroom I screamed words to the effect for him/them to get out of my house and for Reeva to phone the police. It was pitch dark in the bedroom and I thought Reeva was in bed.

16.11 I noticed that the bathroom window was open. I realised that the intruder/s was/were in the toilet because the toilet door was closed and I did not see anyone in the bathroom. I heard movement inside the toilet. The toilet is inside the bathroom and has a separate door.

16.12 It filled me with horror and fear of an intruder or intruders being inside the toilet. I thought he or they must have entered through the unprotected window. As I did not have my prosthetic legs on and felt extremely vulnerable, I knew I had to protect Reeva and myself. I believed that when the intruder/s came out of the toilet we would be in grave danger. I felt trapped as my bedroom door was locked and I have limited mobility on my stumps.

16.13 I fired shots at the toilet door and shouted to Reeva to phone the police. She did not respond and I moved backwards out of the bathroom, keeping my eyes on the bathroom entrance. Everything was pitch dark in the bedroom and I was still too scared to switch on a light. Reeva was not responding.

16.14 When I reached the bed, I realised that Reeva was not in bed. That is when it dawned on me that it could have been Reeva who was in the toilet. I returned to the bathroom calling her name. I tried to open the toilet door but it was locked. I rushed back into the bedroom and opened the sliding door exiting onto the balcony and screamed for help.

16.15 I put on my prosthetic legs, ran back to the bathroom and tried to kick the toilet door open. I think I must then have turned on the lights. I went back into the bedroom and grabbed my cricket bat to bash open the toilet door. A panel or panels broke off and I found the key on the floor and unlocked and opened the door. Reeva was slumped over but alive.

16.16 I battled to get her out of the toilet and pulled her into the bathroom. I phoned Johan Stander (“Stander”) who was involved in the administration of the estate and asked him to phone the ambulance. I phoned Netcare and asked for help. I went downstairs to open the front door.

16.17 I returned to the bathroom and picked Reeva up as I had been told not to wait for the paramedics, but to take her to hospital. I carried her downstairs in order to take her to the hospital. On my way down Stander arrived. A doctor who lives in the complex also arrived. Downstairs, I tried to render the assistance to Reeva that I could, but she died in my arms.

16.18 I am absolutely mortified by the events and the devastating loss of my beloved Reeva. With the benefit of hindsight I believe that Reeva went to the toilet when I went out on the balcony to bring the fan in. I cannot bear to think of the suffering I have caused her and her family, knowing how much she was loved. I also know that the events of that tragic night were as I have described them and that in due course I have no doubt the police and expert investigators will bear this out.

Filed under: Crime • South Africa
  1. Mike

Its just too bad that she didn't have a gun in the toilet to defend herself.

February 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BillatLeap

While this seems like a fairly flimsy story, you have to keep in mind that this is South Africa. It has one of the highest murder rates in the world.

February 19, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • JC

Terrified of intruders, yet leaves a balcony door open all night?

February 19, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. wed110197

Because they were robbing your toilet! I don't buy it.

February 19, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeremy

Guilty!! Next....

February 19, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nancy

Why didn't he call the police and the paramedics himself first? Why did he call a friend? Maybe to set up an explanation before the police arrived? Not plausible at all!

February 19, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ricky

If what he says is true, then this is just another example that the majority of gun users who killed someone, end up killing themselves or a loved one rather than an intruder. For each gun owner who actually shoots a real intruder, 2 other gun owners end up killing or hurting themselves or a loved one. Using a gun should be the last resort only if you live in a isolated area far away from police. The idea of shooting first to someone behind a door, and then asking questions, is just ridiculous, He should have called the police first and only shoot if the "supposed" intruder open the door. He would have seen it was his girlfriend. Do you know how many times I went to get water downstairs and when I came back into my room I heard noises in the bathroom? A lot, and every time it was my wife. The way I handled that was by saying, "honey, is that you there?"

February 19, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bcdarr

Why would he go to sleep with his bedroom balcony door wide open? Just curious, since the whole defense is how 'acutely' aware & terrified he was of violent break ins.

February 19, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Billards

This guy makes millions of dollars in endorsements per year but doesn't buy a security system, especially considering his handicap?

February 19, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DON

I'm sure the first thing any burglar wants to do when breaking into a house with the owners home is go to the toilet...

February 19, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • 0k1d00k13

I think the point is he felt he had cornered the burglar in the toilet room. While plausible surely he could have warned the "intruder" that he was armed and would fire if provoked.

February 19, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ms Kay

It's very easy for a human being to judge even if they dnt knw what happened that fateful morning. One wud ask himself why didn't Reeva respond whn oscar was shouting. Things happen that we have no control of. Let us not be heartless

February 19, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Your spelling is atrocious! Is it really that hard for you to add an 'o' and an apostrophe in 'dnt' ? Or an 'o' in 'knw'? And 'wud' instead of 'would'? Come on! Why are you intent on coming across as stupid? Here are a few o's for you: o o o o o o o. Feel free to to use them as you see fit.

February 19, 2013 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. FreddyCanuck

He was to scared to turn the light on, but he scream for her to call the police. He realizes there is someone in the toilet, he could simply have closed the second bathroom door and moved away from the door with the gun in his hand (and he is a very accurate shooter apparently) but he is still too scared to turn the lights on. This guy appears to be either a very poor liar or he should be put down for simply being too stupid and cowardly to keep living.

February 19, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. KS

If he is THAT paranoid that someone could break into his house, why would he allow workers to leave a ladder to a window? Seems careless to me. I mean, I am pretty much on the fence about this, because what he propsed happened could actually happen. We weren't there, we don't know what someone might be thinking in that situation, where you're half asleep, with a disability and it being dark. I get scared of noises at night too. But, I do wonder why, if he was screaming for reeva to call the police, etc BEFORE he fired shots, why did she never answer him back. If I knew my husband had a fire arm and he was yelling on the other side of the door, you best believe I'd be screaming "It's Me! Don't shoot!!"

February 19, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Patrick

Rush to judgement of any kind is absurd; this gut may be as guilty a sin, but no rational person, regardless of "your common sense" factor, can at this point say guilty or not guilty.

February 19, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • virginia pribanic

The operative word is 'rational'

February 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Debbie

If he was so paranoid why did he fall asleep with the balcony door open with a fan running. His story is not adding up for me to believe.

February 19, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |