Pistorius' affidavit in alleged murder
South Africa's Olympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius buries in court on Tuesday.
February 19th, 2013

Pistorius' affidavit in alleged murder

Following is a partial text of Oscar Pistorius' affidavit handed out in a South African court on Tuesday as he sought bail after being accused of murdering his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp, on Valentine's Day.

16.2 I have been informed that I am accused of having committed the offence of murder. I deny the aforesaid allegation in the strongest terms.

16.3 I am advised that I do not have to deal with the merits of the case for purposes of the bail application. However, I believe that it is appropriate to deal with the merits in this application, particularly in view of the State’s contention that I planned to murder Reeva. Nothing can be further from the truth and I have no doubt that it is not possible for the State to present objective facts to substantiate such an allegation, as there is no substance in the allegation. I do not know on what different facts the allegation of a premeditated murder could be premised and I respectfully request the State to furnish me with such alleged facts in order to allow me to refute such allegations.

16.4 On the 13th of February 2013 Reeva would have gone out with her friends and I with my friends. Reeva then called me and asked that we rather spend the evening at home. I agreed and we were content to have a quiet dinner together at home. By about 22h00 on 13 February 2013 we were in our bedroom. She was doing her yoga exercises and I was in bed watching television. My prosthetic legs were off. We were deeply in love and I could not be happier. I know she felt the same way. She had given me a present for Valentine’s Day but asked me only to open it the next day.

16.5 After Reeva finished her yoga exercises she got into bed and we both fell asleep.

16.6 I am acutely aware of violent crime being committed by intruders entering homes with a view to commit crime, including violent crime. I have received death threats before. I have also been a victim of violence and of burglaries before. For that reason I kept my firearm, a 9 mm Parabellum, underneath my bed when I went to bed at night.

16.7 During the early morning hours of 14 February 2013, I woke up, went onto the balcony to bring the fan in and closed the sliding doors, the blinds and the curtains. I heard a noise in the bathroom and realised that someone was in the bathroom.

16.8 I felt a sense of terror rushing over me. There are no burglar bars across the bathroom window and I knew that contractors who worked at my house had left the ladders outside. Although I did not have my prosthetic legs on I have mobility on my stumps.

16.9 I believed that someone had entered my house. I was too scared to switch a light on.

16.10 I grabbed my 9mm pistol from underneath my bed. On my way to the bathroom I screamed words to the effect for him/them to get out of my house and for Reeva to phone the police. It was pitch dark in the bedroom and I thought Reeva was in bed.

16.11 I noticed that the bathroom window was open. I realised that the intruder/s was/were in the toilet because the toilet door was closed and I did not see anyone in the bathroom. I heard movement inside the toilet. The toilet is inside the bathroom and has a separate door.

16.12 It filled me with horror and fear of an intruder or intruders being inside the toilet. I thought he or they must have entered through the unprotected window. As I did not have my prosthetic legs on and felt extremely vulnerable, I knew I had to protect Reeva and myself. I believed that when the intruder/s came out of the toilet we would be in grave danger. I felt trapped as my bedroom door was locked and I have limited mobility on my stumps.

16.13 I fired shots at the toilet door and shouted to Reeva to phone the police. She did not respond and I moved backwards out of the bathroom, keeping my eyes on the bathroom entrance. Everything was pitch dark in the bedroom and I was still too scared to switch on a light. Reeva was not responding.

16.14 When I reached the bed, I realised that Reeva was not in bed. That is when it dawned on me that it could have been Reeva who was in the toilet. I returned to the bathroom calling her name. I tried to open the toilet door but it was locked. I rushed back into the bedroom and opened the sliding door exiting onto the balcony and screamed for help.

16.15 I put on my prosthetic legs, ran back to the bathroom and tried to kick the toilet door open. I think I must then have turned on the lights. I went back into the bedroom and grabbed my cricket bat to bash open the toilet door. A panel or panels broke off and I found the key on the floor and unlocked and opened the door. Reeva was slumped over but alive.

16.16 I battled to get her out of the toilet and pulled her into the bathroom. I phoned Johan Stander (“Stander”) who was involved in the administration of the estate and asked him to phone the ambulance. I phoned Netcare and asked for help. I went downstairs to open the front door.

16.17 I returned to the bathroom and picked Reeva up as I had been told not to wait for the paramedics, but to take her to hospital. I carried her downstairs in order to take her to the hospital. On my way down Stander arrived. A doctor who lives in the complex also arrived. Downstairs, I tried to render the assistance to Reeva that I could, but she died in my arms.

16.18 I am absolutely mortified by the events and the devastating loss of my beloved Reeva. With the benefit of hindsight I believe that Reeva went to the toilet when I went out on the balcony to bring the fan in. I cannot bear to think of the suffering I have caused her and her family, knowing how much she was loved. I also know that the events of that tragic night were as I have described them and that in due course I have no doubt the police and expert investigators will bear this out.

Filed under: Crime • South Africa
  1. 2014 UA GRAD

once the Autopsy report is released and confirm whether there was blood on the bat and if it was Reeva's that will tell you exactly what happend. Case closed.

February 19, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Kat

And now the other version of the story...They got in a fight, at which point, Reeva was scared and locked herself in the bathroom (because who locks themselves in to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night?), He became furious and bashed in the door with a cricket bat and then shot her.

February 19, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Laura

You have no way to know that. The court needs to determine what happened.

February 19, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Will In Atlanta

Pistorius claims he did not have his prosthetic legs on; while prosecutors claim he did. Investigators will be able to determine whether he did have them on or not by the trajectory of the bullets. That should really tell us who is telling the truth.

February 19, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Matt

I was thinking the same exact thing. Investigators can determine at what height the bullets were shot.

February 19, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. allornone

Reeva told him that she was leaving him in the morning. This is what happened.

February 19, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. jurk

sounds like he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

February 19, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. L.A.

I have a gut feeling that Oscar Pistorius is telling the truth.

February 19, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cam cConley

that gut feeling is acid indigestion-sometimes makes you stupid

February 19, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jaxshan

He can lie about everything but one small simple fact. She has Blunt force Trauma and a skull fracture on her head, and her Blood is all over the Bat.

Lets see how he tries to cover that one!!!

He got into a fight, bashed her with the club, she ran to the bathroom to protect herself, he knew his career was over with the abuse, so he shot her to keep the truth quiet.

I cannot imagine another Human being trying to help him Lie and get away with this heinous crime, defense lawyers who work with their clients to lie should be just as guilty!!

February 19, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • toys

I completely agree.His story is riddled with so many holes and it is not consistent. He was afraid his career would end if she reported a domestic case. He would no longer be SA's golden boy. It also looks like he influenced his friend.. all that I have killed my baba nonsense...in the dock his eyes look cold and he looks like he is crying because he knows he could lose his freedom and his golden medals if they find out he has been doping this whole while. now his defense lawayers are claiming it was a herbal remedy... it has now gone from testosterone to herbal??!!!

February 20, 2013 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
    • toys

I am not being insensitive and I really feel for Reeva's family but I reckon they could have placed her body on ice for further tests for a few more days as the defense will argue there was no evidence of assault on her body. She has been cremated as well so there is no body.This dude could potentially get away with murder and if they grant him bail he will flee to Italy and extraditing him back will take ages.

February 20, 2013 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
    • MK60

Please tell us where we can read about all this blunt force trauma? That was an early rumor. She had not defensive wounds, no head trauma indicative of being hit with a bat, and an empty bladder. That's what they know so far. They don't know yet whose blood is on the bat, but he says he tried to hit the door down with it. If he took it into the toilet with him, then her blood woudl easily get all over it. But she had no "bat wounds"

February 22, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dean

Feel for him, but if what he says is true, he went overboard firing into the toilet w/o identifying who was in there. He could have easily held whomever was in there until competent authority (not just a nut w/ a gun) arrived.

February 19, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. peter aldor

It is a proven fact, that people are a lot less safe from a violent act, IF THERE IS A GUN IN THE HOUSE.
    Whether this was a horrible mistake or a case of rage, NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED, if there was NO GUN in the house.
    People misuse guns more often than not, in a tense situation because they are not trained to make split decisions such as law enforcement officers.
    MORE SUICIDES OCCUR WITH GUNS IN THE HOME.
    YOU ARE NOT SAFER WITH GUNS IN THE HOME. THE OPPOSITE IS TRUE !!!!

February 19, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Christopher J

I guess if he would have just beat her to death with the cricket bat she would be less dead???

February 19, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

So Cricket Bats should be banned also right? Gun or no gun a murder was inevitable. Premeditated murder means he was determined to end the life of this beautiful innocent young woman. The gun didn't make him do it. Oscar Pistorius is a psyco and a danger to society. Its just too bad he hid it from others for this long and someone lost there life. My heart goes out to Reeva's family & friends.

February 19, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. CNurse

Ok so you've been afraid because of burglaries in the area and has happend to you before. But you sleep with the sliding glass door open at the balcony??

February 19, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • heyared

With that ladder outside, don't forget.

February 19, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bokis

Locked door: If Mr Pistorius can explain why his girlfriend(whom I don't expect to have a lot of clothes on...especially on a Valentines Day ) should lock the bathroom door while using it and with just two of them in the bedroom then I will read the rest of his story.

February 19, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Red68

If any of us were to wake up in the middle of the night, would we shoot first before checking to see if it's our partner in the bathroom...of course you would before potentially killing someone...kinda important don't ya think? If that's his story he might as well go to jail now and get it over with.

February 19, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. conrad

But WHY would he kill her? That almost makes less sense ... unless he's got some major demons.

February 19, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. hammer

obviously he was angered to the fact that reeva dropped a large deuce in the toilet and did not give a courtesy flush.

February 19, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Christopher J

You would think with all the yelling that he supposedly did for Reeva she would have said, "I'm in the toilet, dummy!"

February 19, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply