Pistorius' affidavit in alleged murder
South Africa's Olympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius buries in court on Tuesday.
February 19th, 2013

Pistorius' affidavit in alleged murder

Following is a partial text of Oscar Pistorius' affidavit handed out in a South African court on Tuesday as he sought bail after being accused of murdering his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp, on Valentine's Day.

16.2 I have been informed that I am accused of having committed the offence of murder. I deny the aforesaid allegation in the strongest terms.

16.3 I am advised that I do not have to deal with the merits of the case for purposes of the bail application. However, I believe that it is appropriate to deal with the merits in this application, particularly in view of the State’s contention that I planned to murder Reeva. Nothing can be further from the truth and I have no doubt that it is not possible for the State to present objective facts to substantiate such an allegation, as there is no substance in the allegation. I do not know on what different facts the allegation of a premeditated murder could be premised and I respectfully request the State to furnish me with such alleged facts in order to allow me to refute such allegations.

16.4 On the 13th of February 2013 Reeva would have gone out with her friends and I with my friends. Reeva then called me and asked that we rather spend the evening at home. I agreed and we were content to have a quiet dinner together at home. By about 22h00 on 13 February 2013 we were in our bedroom. She was doing her yoga exercises and I was in bed watching television. My prosthetic legs were off. We were deeply in love and I could not be happier. I know she felt the same way. She had given me a present for Valentine’s Day but asked me only to open it the next day.

16.5 After Reeva finished her yoga exercises she got into bed and we both fell asleep.

16.6 I am acutely aware of violent crime being committed by intruders entering homes with a view to commit crime, including violent crime. I have received death threats before. I have also been a victim of violence and of burglaries before. For that reason I kept my firearm, a 9 mm Parabellum, underneath my bed when I went to bed at night.

16.7 During the early morning hours of 14 February 2013, I woke up, went onto the balcony to bring the fan in and closed the sliding doors, the blinds and the curtains. I heard a noise in the bathroom and realised that someone was in the bathroom.

16.8 I felt a sense of terror rushing over me. There are no burglar bars across the bathroom window and I knew that contractors who worked at my house had left the ladders outside. Although I did not have my prosthetic legs on I have mobility on my stumps.

16.9 I believed that someone had entered my house. I was too scared to switch a light on.

16.10 I grabbed my 9mm pistol from underneath my bed. On my way to the bathroom I screamed words to the effect for him/them to get out of my house and for Reeva to phone the police. It was pitch dark in the bedroom and I thought Reeva was in bed.

16.11 I noticed that the bathroom window was open. I realised that the intruder/s was/were in the toilet because the toilet door was closed and I did not see anyone in the bathroom. I heard movement inside the toilet. The toilet is inside the bathroom and has a separate door.

16.12 It filled me with horror and fear of an intruder or intruders being inside the toilet. I thought he or they must have entered through the unprotected window. As I did not have my prosthetic legs on and felt extremely vulnerable, I knew I had to protect Reeva and myself. I believed that when the intruder/s came out of the toilet we would be in grave danger. I felt trapped as my bedroom door was locked and I have limited mobility on my stumps.

16.13 I fired shots at the toilet door and shouted to Reeva to phone the police. She did not respond and I moved backwards out of the bathroom, keeping my eyes on the bathroom entrance. Everything was pitch dark in the bedroom and I was still too scared to switch on a light. Reeva was not responding.

16.14 When I reached the bed, I realised that Reeva was not in bed. That is when it dawned on me that it could have been Reeva who was in the toilet. I returned to the bathroom calling her name. I tried to open the toilet door but it was locked. I rushed back into the bedroom and opened the sliding door exiting onto the balcony and screamed for help.

16.15 I put on my prosthetic legs, ran back to the bathroom and tried to kick the toilet door open. I think I must then have turned on the lights. I went back into the bedroom and grabbed my cricket bat to bash open the toilet door. A panel or panels broke off and I found the key on the floor and unlocked and opened the door. Reeva was slumped over but alive.

16.16 I battled to get her out of the toilet and pulled her into the bathroom. I phoned Johan Stander (“Stander”) who was involved in the administration of the estate and asked him to phone the ambulance. I phoned Netcare and asked for help. I went downstairs to open the front door.

16.17 I returned to the bathroom and picked Reeva up as I had been told not to wait for the paramedics, but to take her to hospital. I carried her downstairs in order to take her to the hospital. On my way down Stander arrived. A doctor who lives in the complex also arrived. Downstairs, I tried to render the assistance to Reeva that I could, but she died in my arms.

16.18 I am absolutely mortified by the events and the devastating loss of my beloved Reeva. With the benefit of hindsight I believe that Reeva went to the toilet when I went out on the balcony to bring the fan in. I cannot bear to think of the suffering I have caused her and her family, knowing how much she was loved. I also know that the events of that tragic night were as I have described them and that in due course I have no doubt the police and expert investigators will bear this out.

Filed under: Crime • South Africa
  1. hammer

he's lucky he didn't accidentally shoot one of legs off

February 19, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. ForMrsB

Pistorius says, after hearing noise in bathroom & thinking it was intruder....
    (A) he then remembered the window in bathroom was unlocked, open
    (B) then recalled tall ladders nearby from construction workers in area
    EXCUSE ME....You can remember ALL THAT but don't remember there's another person sleeping in same bed with you that's in the house????
    Get a better "story". This one stinks!!!!

February 19, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve C.

There is someone in the house and he doesn't tell her! My first words would be "stay here and call 911". But he gets out of the bed to play "little" hero. No way.

I go with others here, play it out with you wife or other partner.

This is a poor story. He should have contacted me for a better one.

February 19, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. hammer

correction: he's lucky he didn't accidentally shoot one of his legs off

February 19, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. chanie

Guilty. He is a liar. Like kandi said, play it out just as he tells it.

February 19, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. heyared

I find it interesting that he initially says that he has mobility with his stumps, but later says he has only limited mobility with them. Also, one would think that for a couple who are deeply in love, it would be rather odd for her to lock the door to the toilet, especially if she's using it in the middle of the night. Had there been no previous calls to the address for domestic issues, I may have had more faith in his story. Add that to the fact that he was aware that workmen left ladders against his house and still slept with the balcony sliding glass door open.... His version of the events is not as plausible to me. And what about that bat that was described as "blood soaked"? Did she in fact have blunt force trauma? How will he explain that?

February 19, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • concerned

if he was really in love, why did he not have any gifts or flowers or special things planned for her on valentine's day (just as she did for him)? it seems like he was not in love as he professes, he shot her in a fit or rage and now is remorseful. much if the remorse is for his own life and loss of freedom.

February 19, 2013 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Johnny

Facts don't add up to me. In paragraph 16.10, he claims that he yelled for the thief to get out and for Reeva to call the police. This was before he shot the door. Thus there was time for Reeva to have responded when he yelled this warning. One would think that in this situation, Reeva would have yelled that it's her in the bathroom. It's unreasonable to think that Reeva would remain silent. If he was terrified, which is what he claims in his own words, Reeva would have known that this was no joke and would have responded. The facts are as he described them. This fact in particular just doesn't make sense to me.

February 19, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • IHearYouTalking

Agreed. Also, he mentioned early on that it was Reeva who wanted to spend the evening together, otherwise, she would have gone out with her friends, and he would have gone out with his friends. His explanation of how they came together that evening does not sound like two people madly in love and happy to spend their first Valentine's Day together. It sounds more like they had separate plans, she changed her mind and decided she wanted to be with him, and he accommodated. Could he have been angry that she stood in the way of his other plans?

February 19, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Matt

He said it was a quiet evening? The neighbors reported they heard arguing and yelling a couple of hours prior to the shots being fired.

February 19, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. scorpio

Read 6.13-6.16 and note how many things this guys claims to have done, before he even went to back to the bathroom to check on his girl that he admits he then assumes he shot and was so devastated over. To the bathroom, back and forth, open a sliding door (with no legs on!), then put on his legs, back to bathroom, then back to get a bat to open the door. How long did that take while the woman is dying? Ridiculous

February 19, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. skarphace

The NRA responded to this incident saying that it is clear that all Americans should have guns in their bathrooms.

February 19, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. moses

what noise would someone make in the toilet that would make one think that it's a burglar???

Reeva went to the toilet while he was taking the fan in. they are just the two of them in the house and they walk around in pitch dark.

he went to @ 10pm. he decided to take the fan in @ around 3am. fool

February 19, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. notbuyingit

Why would she lock the bathroom door at 3AM with him asleep in bed. I could see her closing it but locking it?

February 19, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • IHearYouTalking

I'm a woman and I would not have locked myself in the toilot...Not if I felt safe with him. In fact, I would not have even closed the door. What is there to hide when two people have been involved in sleep overs and really love each other?

February 19, 2013 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lilly

I am a woman and I always lock my bathroom/toilet door. Just out of habit.

February 20, 2013 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  12. Steve

Too scared to turn the light on?
    When my 9 year old kid is scared of what might be in the dark, he turns the light on to see
    there is no burglar or boogeyman.
    He has more sense than to pull out a gun and shoot at a sound in the dark.
    Oscar should be convicted of being either a murderer OR really really stupid.

February 19, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Olanike

16.10" I grabbed my 9mm pistol from underneath my bed"......... was Reeva not on the same bed? why didn't you wake her? Am sure she should be awake after the first gunshot. Why did u shoot "four times"?.......... #Questionable#

February 20, 2013 at 6:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. steve

he says he had noise in the toilet he went into the bedroom en grabbed his 9mm pistol...my question he didnt realise dt his galfriend was missing in bed when he went to pick up his 9mm under his bed? he also said when he moved towards de toilet he had some one moving inside the toilet en he shouted for him/them to com out en for reeva to call the police...ma question is how sound proof is that toillet that some one inside couldnt hear some one shouting from outside which i gues reeva could have heard if he realy shouted on top of his voice?

February 20, 2013 at 8:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Lilly

I recommend you all become lawyers and/or investigators and get yourselves on the prosecutors' team.

February 20, 2013 at 11:53 am | Report abuse | Reply