February 26th, 2013

Tuesday's live events

$85 billion in automatic across-the-board cuts will happen unless President Obama and Congress come to an agreement by March 1.  Watch CNN.com Live for continuing coverage on this story.

Today's programming highlights...

10:00 am ET - Ben Bernanke on Capitol Hill - Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke is slated to discuss the economy and U.S. monetary policy before a Senate committee today, but he may also discuss the threat of forced spending cuts.

10:00 am ET - Hearing on spending cuts and the military - The Pentagon has been the most vocal on forced spending cuts, saying such action would be devastating.  The heads of the four U.S. military branches will testify before a House committee on their concerns.

11:55 am ET - Obama talks forced spending cuts - President Obama will call on Congress to come to a solution toward avoiding forced spending cuts in Newport News, Virginia.

12:00 pm ET - Senate takes up Hagel - Senators take a break from discussing forced spending cuts to reconsider the failed cloture vote on Chuck Hagel's nomination to be the next defense secretary.  If the cloture vote succeeds, senators may vote on the actual nomination today or Wednesday.

12:30 pm ET - Jodi Arias murder trial - Prosecutors will continue cross-examining Jodi Arias at her murder trial in Arizona.  She is accused of killing her ex-boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in 2008.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Budget • Congress • Dollars & Sense • Economy • On CNN.com today • Politics
  1. banasy©

Happy Birthday, Chrissy!

February 26, 2013 at 9:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Mornin banasy. You and chrissy need to hunker down. According to weather reports, you have some bad winter weather headed your way. Be safe.

February 26, 2013 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

Happy Birthday, chrissy.

February 26, 2013 at 10:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

"Look at ME!!" boasted the fit old man, pounding a very flat and firm stomach, having just finished 100 situps before a group of young people.

"Fit as a fiddle! And you want to know why? I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't stay up late, and I don't chase after loose women!!"

He smiled at them, teeth white, eyes aglitter, "And tomorrow - tomorrow, I'm going to celebrate my -90th- birthday!!"

"Oh, really?" drawled one of the young onlookers, "How?"

February 26, 2013 at 10:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. chrissy

Lmao ty @ banasy and @ bobcat. Thats exactly what im planing on doing. And im gonna just stay in bed all day i think cuz i dont even wanta see it! YUK!

February 26, 2013 at 10:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

It used to be I looked forward to birthdays. Now I just look forward to not waking up dead.

February 26, 2013 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

It's my chrissys' birthday today. Last week I asked her what she wanted as a present.

'Oh, I don't know,' she said . 'Just give me something with diamonds.'

That's why I'm giving her a pack of playing cards.

February 26, 2013 at 10:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hamsta

Really I was thinking about getting her a GENUINE FAUX ICE BLING NECKLACE from the local h
      9th ward hoodmart.

February 26, 2013 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Just don't tell her it's cubit zirconia, just kidding. Happy Birtday to all!!!!!!7

February 26, 2013 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. s kel

Happy Birthday Chrissy! Guess what my,and my sisters birthday is tomarrow. My cousins birthday is the 28th. Again Happy Bitthday Chrissy.

February 26, 2013 at 11:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

A tomorrow Happy Birthday to you and your sister, s kel. And you cousin the next day as well.

February 26, 2013 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • s kel

TY bro Bobcat, TY Hamsta

February 26, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dazzle ©

Happy Birthday Chrissy from the other crazy Pisces.

February 26, 2013 at 11:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • s kel

Dazzle Happy early birthday to you too. Ill be up in Baltimore in little Italy on friday at Rocos Resturant enjoying my b day dinner there.

February 26, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. saywhat

many blissful returns of the day@chrissy. Be happy always friend.

February 26, 2013 at 11:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • dazzle ©

@skel Happy Birthday to you too. We go to Rocco's quite a bit. My birthday is Friday so you never know we just might meet up at Rocco's.

February 26, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • s kel

Yes I love their food. Its small and not as advertised as the other resturants there thats what I love about it. If its not too cold ill walk over to my bar at Fells Pt, called " The horse you rode in on" it was Edger Allen Poes watering hole.

February 26, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. saywhat

Good morning all.
    @bobcat .lol

February 26, 2013 at 11:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. BOMBO

What, was everybody here born in February? What are the odds? Gotta be two to one.

February 26, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. BOMBO

Happy birthday to EVERYBODY from BOMBO.

February 26, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. 1608®

Happy Birthday Chrissy s kel s kel's sis. cuz. Enjoy the winter wonder land.

February 26, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Mary

@ chrissy, It's your birthday? It is also my son's birthday! :) Best day of my life!
    Happy birthday to you both...
    To my son, you have become the most beautiful human being I know and I love you... ALWAYS!!! :)

February 26, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • s kel

Mary Happy, Happy birthday to your son! He has a good mom.

February 26, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

Awww you guys are the bestest buddies in the whole wide world! Seriously. And nothing wrong with zirconia and playing cards. Lol

February 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply