February 28th, 2013
08:54 AM ET

Vatican: Phone taps might have been OK'd

Vatican magistrates may have authorized the tapping of two or three telephone lines during the investigation into leaks from the pope's private apartments, a Vatican spokesman said Thursday.

The Rev. Federico Lombardi was responding to a report in the Italian weekly magazine Panorama claiming that there had been a large-scale wiretapping and surveillance operation during the investigation. He denied there had been "a massive" operation on the scale reported by the magazine, saying there was "no foundation" for the article.

If there was any wiretapping or surveillance, "it's a very small process," Vatican spokesman the Rev. Thomas Rosica said. Both spokesmen denied that the operation had been ordered by the three cardinals commissioned to write a report into the scandal, saying that if it had happened, it was ordered by magistrates.

Post by:
Filed under: Catholic Church • Italy • Religion
soundoff (2 Responses)
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

    if I were involved with Vatican on anything as delicate as that investigation, I'd assume that my communications were monitored.
    Do you think that the Vatican leaves things like that up to prayer?

    February 28, 2013 at 11:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

    TYPO: I meant, "...with the Vatican..."

    February 28, 2013 at 11:21 am | Report abuse | Reply

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.