March 15th, 2013

CDC: Man died of rabies from transplant

A Maryland man recently died of rabies that he contracted from a tainted organ he received in a transplant operation more than a year ago, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

Health care teams are now giving anti-rabies shots to three other patients who received organs from the same donor as the Maryland man, the CDC said.

FULL STORY
  1. chrissy

And i sure as hell NEVER heard of ANYONE having rabies for over a year before they died! Sounds a little out there to me. Maybe he did die of rabies that still doesnt prove he got it a whole freakin year earlier!!

March 15, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Chrissy: did you read the full article? Have you read about this case from other sources?
    I have.
    Symptoms from rabies usually takes between 3-6 months to manifest. The case is boggling because it took longer than normal to manifest, as I stated, and rabies are extremely rare, in any case.
    The man died of rabies, and he got it from the kidney that was donated.

March 15, 2013 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

Wow am i on trial here or what? I just said i did NOT get all the information you did from THIS article!!! I would think that meant no i did not research this.

March 15, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

And why would i listen to a known troll like you @ the art of conversa tion?

March 15, 2013 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

Lol ok thats a lie right there @ TAoC but its not the first one. But hey knock yourself out! G nite.

March 15, 2013 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. William Civil Matter Presley

Absolutely frightening- now I see why Jehovah's witnesses won't take organs or transfusions!

March 16, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jackie C

My nephew was one of the transplant recipients from the 2004 case here in Texas. It is a scary thing but rabies is just one of those things they can not test for. It makes me wonder why most of these people did not die and he died so violently and so quickly. I hope they find out what the difference is and maybe they can some how prevent it from happening....

April 3, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. NYC Fitness Events

WHAT?! OMG, this story grosses me out to the max!!

January 30, 2014 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |