Former British PM Margaret Thatcher dies
Former Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher talks with British Prime Minister David Cameron inside Number 10 Downing Street on June 8, 2010.
April 8th, 2013

Former British PM Margaret Thatcher dies

Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, a towering figure in post-war British and world politics, and the first woman to become British prime minister, has died at the age of 87, her spokeswoman said Monday.

Thatcher served from 1979 to 1990 as leader of the Conservative Party. She was called the "Iron Lady" for her personal and political toughness.

Thatcher retired from public life after a stroke in 2002 and suffered several strokes after that.

FULL STORY

Filed under: United Kingdom
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

What a terrible loss!
    Margaret Thatcher was more than a national treasure: she was a treasure to the entire world.

April 8, 2013 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Mr Dalloway

And now she's a buried one.

April 8, 2013 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • saywhat

As leader of her right leaning Conservative party she wielded enormous influence on British politics.
      No treasure to the entire world though.

April 8, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Then why can't you liberal dumbocrats learn from her wisdom? " The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money." A wise man once told me that the difference between knowledge and wisdom is the experience that accompanies wisdom. She has the experience of socialist Nazi Germany, you liberal dumbocrats THINK that you possess knowledge.

April 8, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Socialism
      noun
      1. a theory or system of social organization that advocates the vesting of the ownership and control of the means of production and distribution, of capital, land, etc., in the community as a whole.
      2. procedure or practice in accordance with this theory.

The United States isn't a socialist country, no matter how much Alex Jones and Fox News tries to imply it is.
      Of course, everyone knows that our social programs have been in place for decades, but it is unlikely that this poster will ever get that memo.

April 8, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Banasy you have surpassed the definition of ignorant on to stupidity. All forms of government have been trying to take my family's land out from under our feet for a century. You think I don't know what socialism is? You aren't just ignorant, you are stupid. This isn't the only example I have given you either, the difference between ignorant and stupid is that ignorance was never shown any different whereas stupid just won't accept any different therefore, you are stupid.

April 8, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hey, Hamsta, want to give me a link that tells me about your family's plight instead of just insulting me? I'd like to have a little more knowledge than just, say, your "word" for it.

April 8, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

And illustrate precisely how you think that the POTUS is responsible for that. Also: look up eminent domain. Since you won't give me a citation, I'll have to think that may be part of that.

April 8, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Hey banasy in case you haven't noticed the government mucks everything up. For instance Kelvin's name was never "Dreads" as the media and law enforcement claim, on the streets we called him "Kiwi" for Kelvin Wilbur. You wouldn't recognize socialism if one of Obama's drones was watching you through your kitchen window and the thought police started spying on you. You still wouldn't recognize socialism even though I just described a scene straight from an Orwell novel because your internet tells you Obama isn't a socialist. At this point I have two words: BOJOUR, STUPID!!!!

April 8, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I'm well aware what happened to you friend, and I have said in the past what a travesty that seems to be.
      I will now give you the definition of "citation". The first four are pertaining to the military/traffic aspects of the meaning.
      5. the act of citing or quoting a reference to an authority or a precedent. 6. a passage cited quotation. 7. a quotation showing a particular word or phrase in context. 8. mention or enumeration.
      I know you don't think very much of my intelligence, but once again, you have misunderstood socialism for miscarriage of justice, which doesn't say very much for yours.

April 8, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Please illustrate how President Obama is responsible for the conviction of your friend.

April 8, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mr Dalloway

I'll be on my fainting couch

April 8, 2013 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. saywhat

She was a staunch ally.
    "A British icon and also an outcast" Robert Okley.
    her biggest achievement ,to go as far in politics as she did being the first ever woman to enter 10 Downing Street.

April 8, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. saywhat

comments now blocked.

April 8, 2013 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "The Lunatic Fringe"

As long as the left keeps reaping the harvest, this country will learn NOTHING from Margaret Thatcher. Rest in peace Margaret Thatcher.

April 8, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

As leader of her right leaning Conservative party, she wielded a lot of influence on British politics.

April 8, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. saywhat

Unfortunately@Jeff
    Its the neo-con mindset that has dominated this country's direction that has been our undoing and thats what we have to learn from.

April 8, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. saywhat

@banasy
    Very well put.
    But then calling Pr.Obama a socialist or a muslim is usually what misguided folks resort to when nothing else works.

April 8, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hamsta

Misguided would be the people that blame everything on Bush or the Tea Party, but hey that's why your beloved Occupy Movement is guilty of everything you tried to falsely label the Tea Party as and then some. Some? Maybe I should just say a lot, like a lpng list of felonies.

April 8, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. saywhat

Sure@Hamsta thanks.
    Now I get it, it is the Occupy Movement that is responsible for our illnesses contracted during the past decade. Foreign policy failures, wars, fiscal & economic woes and such.

April 8, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. saywhat

Yes@Argentina.
    Hope Brits learned from Thatcher.

April 8, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mr Dalloway

Only mexico

April 8, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

During the years that Prime Minister Thatcher and President Reagan cooperated splendidly, I prospered and decorated the Christmas tree with ornaments duplicating those at the White House. I was content being absolutely conservative, to the consternation of some friends, who derided the autographed photograph of Reagan that I hung.
    Mrs Thatcher was a treasure. So was the Pietà, and a vandal attacked it. I remember a golden era of conservatism.

April 8, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rascal Rabble

well from what I can see...you're either love her or hated her...either way they be drinkin' and eatin' livin' it up at the repast or the party...hear! hear!

April 8, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |