April 12th, 2013

Friday's live events

Watch CNN.com Live for gavel-to-gavel coverage of the trial of Jodi Arias, who's accused of killing her ex-boyfriend in 2008.

Today's programming highlights...

9:00 am ET - HHS budget hearing - President Obama's proposed budget for next fiscal year continues to be a hot topic on Capitol Hill.  This morning, the Health and Human Services budget will be discussed by the House Ways and Means Committee.

12:00 pm ET - Jodi Arias murder trial - A special Friday session of the trial will take place.  Arias is accused of killing her ex-boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in 2008.

12:00 pm ET - White House briefing - North Korea, gun control and federal spending will likely top Press Secretary Jay Carney's briefing.

2:05 pm ET - Obama honors Navy football - President Obama concludes his day by presenting the Naval Academy football team with the 2012 Commander in Chief's Trophy.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Crime • Justice • On CNN.com today • Politics
  1. Portland tony

These time saving devices will give you more time to watch the "gravel to gravel" coverage of the Arias farce!

April 12, 2013 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

This is the trial that never ends.
      It just goes on and on and on, my friends.
      Some people started watching it not knowing what it was,
      And they'll continue watching it forever just because . . .

April 12, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

At the height of a political corruption trial, the prosecuting attorney attacked
    a witness.

“Isn't it true,” he bellowed, “that you accepted five thousand dollars to compromise this case?”

The witness stared out the window as though he hadn't heard the question.

“Isn't it true that you accepted five thousand dollars to compromise this case?” the lawyer repeated.

The witness still did not respond.

Finally, the judge leaned over and said, “Sir, please answer the question.”

“Oh,” the startled witness said, “I thought he was talking to you.”

April 12, 2013 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

Prosecutor: Did you kill the victim?

Defendant: No, I did not.

Prosecutor: Do you know what the penalties are for perjury?

Defendant: Yes, I do. And they're a lot better than the penalty for murder.

April 12, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

A judge scowled down at a repeat offender before him. "Haven't I seen you in here many times already? And didn't I tell you that I never wanted to see you in here again?"

"Yes, Your Honor," the defendant replied. "That's exactly what I told the police officer, but he insisted I come in
    anyway!"

April 12, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • stuart

@banasy. I know.thats what i keep saying mam

April 12, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bc, you did it again. LOL

April 12, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

Just one more.

In a terrible accident at a railroad crossing, a train smashed into a car and pushed it nearly four hundred yards down the track. Though no one was killed, the driver took the train company to court.

At the trial, the engineer insisted that he had given the driver ample warning by waving his lantern back and forth for nearly a minute. He even stood and convincingly demonstrated how he'd done it. The court believed his story, and the suit was dismissed.

“Congratulations,” the lawyer said to the engineer when it was over. “You did superbly under cross-examination.”

“Thanks,” he said, “but he sure had me worried.”

“How's that?” the lawyer asked.

“I was afraid he was going to ask if the lantern was lit!”

April 12, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. stuart

Hey bobcat. Too bad u werent. Jay lennos writer. U could have saved his show.

April 12, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gramps

I wish someone had the opportunity to ask Ms Laviolette if. hypothetically, would she be concerned if her son started to date Jodi?

April 12, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |