Sources: Possible suspects sought in Boston blasts
A photo from witness Ben Thorndike shows a site near one of the Boston bombings, shortly after the blast on Monday.
April 17th, 2013
10:31 PM ET

Sources: Possible suspects sought in Boston blasts

  • After law enforcement sources told CNN that an arrest was made in Boston Marathon bombings, two senior administration officials and another federal official told CNN contributor Fran Townsend that no arrest happened.
  • The bombs, which exploded 12 seconds apart near Boston Marathon finish line Monday, killed three people and wounded 178.
  • Full story here; also, see CNN affiliates WBZ; WCVB; WHDH

[Updated, 10:30 p.m. ET] Two men seen in images near the finish line of Monday's Boston Marathon - moments before two bombs there exploded - are of "high interest" and are considered "possible suspects," a law enforcement official said.

A circular sent out Wednesday by authorities indicated the attached photos, showing the two men, were being sent around "in an attempt to identify the individuals."The official said the men were of interest because of where they were at a particular time and what they were carrying. One of the men is seen carrying a black backpack.

The source said that authorities had not yet identified the two men by name and that the photographs were not being released to the public for fear of impeding the investigation.

Updated at 9:27 p.m. ET] As of Wednesday night, Boston-area hospitals had released 112 of the 178 treated for injuries sustained in the marathon attack. Thirteen patients are in critical condition, the same number as was reported earlier in the day.

[Updated at 7:32 p.m. ET] The FBI has cancelled its Wednesday news briefing, the Boston police announced. Minutes earlier, police had said the federal agency would make a "brief statement" on the marathon case.

[Updated at 6:09 p.m. ET] "Every hour we're closer" to finding  the person or people responsible for Monday's twin bomb blasts at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on Wednesday.

[Updated at 5:45 p.m. ET] As of late Wednesday afternoon, Boston-area hospitals had released at least 103 of the 178 people treated for injuries sustained in Monday's attack near the Boston Marathon's finish line, according to a CNN tally.

Thirteen of those still hospitalized remain in critical condition, hospital officials said.

[Updated at 4:40 p.m. ET] A news conference about the Boston Marathon bombings that had been scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. has been postponed.

[Updated at 4:08 p.m. ET] Authorities investigating this week's attack want to question a man who was seen, on video, wearing a white baseball cap as a possible suspect in the case, two official sources with knowledge of the investigation told CNN.

One of the sources said the man had the hat on backwards and was wearing a light-colored hooded sweatshirt and a black jacket. The second source said that investigators have not identified this person.

[Updated at 2:58 p.m. ET] The FBI said in a statement Wednesday that no arrest has been made, "contrary to widespread reporting," tied to Monday's Boston Marathon attack.

Before that, following statements from the Justice Department and the Boston police that no arrest has been made, CNN's John King said this:

A federal law enforcement source told him that there has been "significant progress but no arrest." A Boston law enforcement said "we got him," but didn't clarify whether that means authorities have identified a suspect or arrested one.

Some federal sources say that even to say the suspect has been identified goes too far, but several sources in Boston say they have a clear identification.

[Updated at 2:48 p.m. ET] There have been no arrests in the Boston Marathon bombing investigation, according to Boston police and the Justice Department.

[Updated at 2:33 p.m. ET] There is conflicting information as to whether someone has been arrested in connection with the Boston Marathon bombings.

A federal law enforcement source told CNN's Fran Townsend that someone was arrested. But two senior administration officials and another federal official then told Townsend that there had been a misunderstanding among officials and that no one has been arrested.

[Updated at 2:23 p.m. ET] As news of an arrest spreads, a crowd has been gathering outside a federal courthouse in Boston.

[Updated at 2:10 p.m. ET] The last we heard, a law enforcement news briefing in the bombings case was scheduled for 5 p.m. ET today. We'll see if that holds.

Earlier today, CNN's John King reported that authorities had identified a suspect based on an analysis of video from a Lord & Taylor department store near the site of the second blast, and that video from a Boston TV station also helped. King cited a source who was briefed on the investigation.

[Updated at 2 p.m. ET] The arrest is based on two videos showing images of the suspect, a federal law enforcement source told CNN contributor Fran Townsend.

[Updated at 1:46 p.m.] An arrest has been made in connection with Monday's Boston Marathon bombings, sources tell CNN's John King and CNN contributor Fran Townsend. King's source is with Boston law enforcement, he said; Townsend's source is with federal law enforcement.

[Updated at 1:44 p.m.] While we wait for more information about the possible suspect, some recent information to pass on about one of the three people who were killed in Monday's blasts: Boston University said Lingzi Lu, a graduate student in mathematics and statistics, was killed.

She and two friends were watching the race near the finish line when the blasts erupted, BU Today reported. The second student was in stable condition at Boston Medical Center; the third student was not hurt, it said.

The university said that it had the family's permission to identify Lingzi Lu.

[Posted at 1:40 p.m.] Authorities may have had a breakthrough in the investigation of Monday's Boston Marathon bombings. Investigators believe they have identified a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, a source who has been briefed on the investigation told CNN's John King exclusively.

The breakthrough came from analysis of video from a department store near the site of the second explosion. Video from a Boston television station also contributed to the progress, said the source, who declined to be more specific but called it a significant development.

Earlier, a federal law enforcement source with firsthand knowledge of the investigation told CNN that a lid to a pressure cooker thought to have been used in the bombings had been found on a roof of a building near the scene.


Filed under: Boston • Crime • Massachusetts
soundoff (225 Responses)
  1. DISgusted

    Really ? Really ? incessant tension filled reporting, where you reiterate what every person spoken to,says, and then, and then......throw it over to someone else to interpret and re-reiterate what the original interviewee just said...how about some real news....???? this will be news when someone is apprehended. Until then you are incredible gas bags flogging a dead horse....what is happening on the continent of Africa today ? Asia ? Europe ? even here in North America... ??? ....maybe you should become a 12 hour news program and let infomercials make up the rest of your revenue stream. Infomercials wouldn't be any more or less inaccurate, nor any more or less irritating to listen to.

    April 17, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. jamaicanmenuts

    Good time to watch what Congress is up to with Gun Legislation. Or maybe they are hacking away at our Social Security and Medicare benefits.

    April 17, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. mataya

    okay tourists need to stop killing innocent citizens for the country's actions. you are really setting a bad example for kids everywhere.

    April 17, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Jorge Pacheco

    Strange but the most benefitted with this bombs' distractions was the electoral fraud in Venezuela. For all news in the US are more concerned with the bombimgs than with the supposedl fraud ..

    April 17, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Charles Frith

      This bombing has all the hallmarks of false flag bombing. Blaming it on foreign countries is a classic distraction technique used by the perpetrators.

      April 17, 2013 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Habberdash

      What are the hallmarks of a false flag operation, Charles?

      April 17, 2013 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Maygalnou

    The images of the package before and after it is moved to the outside of the barrier are interesting. In the second picture, it looks like the lady in the white scarf has placed the brown handbag she was holding in the earlier photo on top of it.

    April 17, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Marie Bender

    As For Boston....I believed it was some SICK KID who did this....and especcially after I heard about Beebies.....Who els would use "Beebies"....not some expierenced person! ...And also used TOY batteries....!..GET HIM..and HANG HIM !

    April 17, 2013 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Ed

    I heard the Saudi National first talked to is now being deported to Saudi Arabia for National Security interests. Does anyone know anything?

    April 17, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom

      I haven't heard. It is strange that we have not heard one interview with the person who tackled this man as he was running away. Was that person a hero for taking down the terrorist, or a bigot who was racial profiling and attacked an innocent man? Am I the only one who missed this part in the reporting of this horrible event?

      April 18, 2013 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. johan

    Why not FBI release photos of suspect. First they know self anyway if they are suspect so make no diffrent and they get more difficult to cross the border or hide. Second if innocent they can clear there name. Or FBI have no clues and shoot in the dark

    April 17, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Muhammad

    We are sorry to hear that. We are mouslim, We dont related about the booming.
    Palestine is down now, why we must attack you. We have a more accident.
    if you dont belive it, please looking for palestine.

    I dont know why you know the mouslim about the terorist

    April 17, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. zaphed

    taking bets now, 5 dolla for while, 2 cents for moslim, 30 cents for brown. hurru before books close.

    April 17, 2013 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. judger

    white baseball-hat?

    April 17, 2013 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. vikingwoman

    At this point any person on a video can only be "a person of interest"! They can't arrest people just because they Look "suspi.cious"! There has to be proof! I know every1 wants the guilty party(ies), but we should just chill & let the process take it's course, so the Right person is arrested! The media knows this!!

    April 17, 2013 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Al Prazolam

    I guess I am not sure why they would not release the images of the persons of interest. What about the FBI's most 10 wanted? Do they not release those images anymore?

    April 18, 2013 at 12:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. JACK

    JACK•in a few seconds −

    The real problem with USA as the third world sees is that the world of US ends at its borders--whoever supports US is a likeable person and who don't are to be checked--the basic philosophy has been forgotten--evil is evil and good is good-–who created Osama/Taliban and Saddam--the USA had a big role as they found these "good people" fighting against Russia and Iran respectively -– we in India are perplexed when US bombs taliban centers in Pakistan while terror camps against India are not touched--the taliban are captured/killed from pakistan while dawood ibrahim who killed 300 people in India in mumbai blasts and wanted by Interpol lives a life of luxury in pakistan and under eyes of usa-–another osama (dawood) will be called evil only when he carries out attacks in usa , till then people like him and dictators of arabia are all likeable persons who pose no threat

    April 18, 2013 at 1:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

    The liberal Marxist administration is hoping that the bombing is linked to a white Tea Party conservative. They will make it that way regardless of the cost. Just remember...we cannot endure no racist remarks while we embrace the true identity of the bomber,

    April 18, 2013 at 2:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.