April 25th, 2013

2 fuel barges explode; 3 hurt

Authorities kept their distance as a fire raged on board a pair of fuel barges on Thursday morning, hours after exploding at a docking area on Alabama's Mobile Bay.

Steve Huffman with Mobile Fire and Rescue said conditions remain too volatile for fire crews to approach. At least six explosions have been reported and were heard up to 20 miles away.

Just half a mile across the bay, Alan Waugh, the general manager at the Ft. Conde Inn, said he saw and heard the initial explosion when it happened.

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S.
  1. vikingwoman

Oh this is bad! Hope there are survivors!!

April 25, 2013 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. saywhat

Indeed bad. Prayers & hope for those on board.

April 25, 2013 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ saywhat

The reports say three people are in critical condition with severe burns. I was about two miles away when these explosions occured. My office shook like we were having an earthquake. The sound was very loud.

April 25, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat, I'm glad you checked in and that you are okay. I heard this on the news this morning on my commute. Such a tragedy.

April 25, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ dazzle

Hello my friend. I don't know what the deal is with everything blowing up lately. The story on these fuel barges is that they were back in port to reload. Being empty makes them much more volatile, so the chance of an accidental ignition is enhanced greatly. The spark that caused this explosion may have been something as simple as static electricty.

Ok. I got that out of the way. So when are you supposed to be leaving for Az ? I'll be sure to post a good airline joke for you. Wow our young lady is going to be 21. A fun age to be.

April 25, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. saywhat

@bobcat
    you were being missed.
    With all what has been happening that must have been very unsettling Glad you are safe.

April 25, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

The only trauma I received from that was having to us an extra strong solution of stain remover on my underwear.

April 25, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat, that is such a scary thing to happen. I would love an airline joke, I leave tomorrow and plan to surprise her by showing up unannounced. 21 is such a great time of life.

April 25, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. saywhat

Have a good one. See you guys somewhat later.

April 25, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bambi

More bad news.

April 25, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Marcuscassius

Solar panels don't blow up, and wind turbines don't either. Neither have killed anyone or polluted streets or gardens,

April 25, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

But solar panels and wind turbines cant move a barge either!

April 25, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©

Passengers on a Lufthansa flight heard this announcement from the captain, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I am sorry to inform you that we have lost power to all of our engines and will shortly crash into the ocean." The passengers were obviously very worried about this situation, but were somewhat comforted by the captain's next announcement. "Ladies and Gentlemen, we at Lufthansa have prepared for such an emergency, and we would now like you to rearrange your seating so that all the non-swimmers are on the left side of the plane, and all the swimmers are on the right side."
    After this announcement, all the passengers rearranged their seating to comply with the captain's request. Two minutes later, the captain made a belly landing in the ocean.
    The captain once again made an announcement, "Ladies and Gentlemen we have crashed into the ocean. All of the swimmers on the right side of the plane, open your emergency exits and quickly swim away from the plane. For all of the non-swimmers on the left side of plane... "Thank You For Flying Lufthansa."

April 25, 2013 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

A mother and her son were flying Southwest Airlines from Kansas City to Chicago. The son (who had been looking out the window) turned to his mother and asked, "If big dogs have baby dogs and big cats have baby cats, why don't big planes have baby planes?" The mother (who couldn't think of an answer) told her son to ask the stewardess So the boy asked the stewardess, "If big dogs have baby dogs and big cats have baby cats, why don't big planes have baby planes?" The stewardess responded, "Did your mother tell you to ask me?" The boy admitted that this was the case. "Well, then, tell your mother that there are no baby planes because Southwest always pulls out on time. Your mother can explain that to you. .

April 25, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

It was mealtime during our trip on a small airline in the South.
      "Would you like dinner?" the flight attendant asked
      the man seated in front of me."What are my choices?" he asked."Yes or no," she replied.

April 25, 2013 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Getting on a plane, I told the ticket lady, "Send one of my bags to New York, send one to Los Angeles, and send one to Miami."
      She said, "We can't do that!"

I told her, Why not ? "You did it last week!"

Have a safe flight dazzle.

April 25, 2013 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Oh, Rawr, #2 cracked me UP! I tried numerous times to tell you how relieved I was to hear you were all right, but alas, this is the first I (hopefully) was able to post.

April 25, 2013 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

hey banasy

How you doing my friend ? Yeah, when that happened last nigh, I didn't know what was going on. They said there were as many as 7 explosions, But I only heardtywo. Those were the ones that shook my office so bad. Kinda freaked me out. I hadn't heard anything like that since nam.

April 25, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dangnabbit

nam? Uh oh! We got a geezer in here! Lookout!😀

April 26, 2013 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. bambi

Oh bobcat. That was so funny. We needed that you sweet man.

April 25, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |