September 3rd, 2013

White House makes its push for Syria strikes

The Obama administration will spend this week trying to persuade lawmakers at home and allies abroad that an attack on Syria is the appropriate response to the alleged use of poison gas by the regime of President Bashar al-Assad.

The White House's push comes after al-Assad once again raised the specter of an all-out regional war if the United States strikes.

Syria's allies Russia and China, meanwhile, remain steadfastly against military action, unconvinced by evidence presented by the United States and France that they say show al-Assad's forces used chemical weapons.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Barack Obama • U.S. • World
  1. Juan Jiminez

I think just about eighty five percent of Americans DO NOT want us getting involved. What's bone heads problem? Is it "We the people"? Or is it one mans dream of war?

September 3, 2013 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

You're being generous. I saw a 9% approval figure. Toejam has better figures.

September 3, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Juan Jiminez

Wow. I'm watching orie lly right now and for once I totally disagree with his POV on this subject. He is agreeing with ob ama on this. He is trying to tell me that I dont understand the implications of not doing anything. Well sir I certainly know the implications if we do get involved. Do not repeat our recent history.

September 3, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

Let's go back to the old anti-drug slogan. JUST SAY NO

September 3, 2013 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

Aha, I see it's block the bobcat day on CNN.

September 3, 2013 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

I guess yesterday missed the initial posting of my comment and later realized their mistake, because once they saw it and additional comments, they promptly removed.
    But anyway, for us to make an attack on a country that has done absolutely nothing to us, would make us no better than the countries we always complained about with their aggression to other countries.
    If you think we are hated in that part of the world now, you ain't seen nothing yet.

September 3, 2013 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I agree; I have a question: although it has been confirmed that Sarin was used, is there evidence that is definitive that Assad's forces used it?
      I rather smell SA in this...
      Turkey and SA want this so badly, let them strike. They are the ones who have had felt the Syrian attacks, not the US. We MUST stay out.

September 3, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Syria didn't attack the US and we have no cause to attack Syria. We need to stay the heck OUT of this conflict. Are we even sure Assad is the one who used CW?

September 3, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. saywhat

you said it@bobcat
    We seem to be losing it. These politicos were never trustworthy of our destiny. boehner & cantor announced they are on board, so are Graham,McCain ,King & co. The usual culprits serving foreign interests.

September 3, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

I posted yesterday that the W.H was now reportedly selling "this would protect Israel" spiel to a Congress which initially seemed skeptical, That seems to be working.
    American public has never mattered to this Congress.

September 3, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. saywhat

Let me also reiterate what voices of reason have been expressing that any approval from Congress could serve as a blank check for perpetual wars.

September 3, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ma.Cecilia T. Degan

Pls. U cannot fight evil with evil.It will spell DISASTER.Only praying to God and doing good, and this means ending abortions, euthanasia and same sex marriage.We have our problems here in this country! Why bother to wage war, when the US economy is still down? This war is going to ruin not only the US but the entire world.Does the word CARE means anything to the govt. anymore?

September 3, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hope

I say dismantle the trolls especially the ones who spread scam...

September 3, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I don't see any trolls here; because one doesn't agree with you means one thing and one thing only: they don't agree with you.

September 3, 2013 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Zandie

U.S. stay out of Syria. Strikes included.

September 3, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Saddam Hussein

Test

September 3, 2013 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hope

Justice for the People of Syria... That is my hope.

September 4, 2013 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  13. ronvan

Yesterdays TV "show" and watching our "elected children" was like watching Jerry Springer! Nothing more than politics! At this point in time you might as well send "asshat" the names & address'es of the targets! Questions as to PROOF were quickly answered with the old "can't talk about that in open, but will "convince" you in private". Just more embarassment of OUR countries "leaders?". The element of surprise is GONE, asshad is moving resources into civilian areas! This in itself makes doing NOTHING the ONLY option!

September 4, 2013 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |