Flames do what Sandy didn't to NJ boardwalk
September 13th, 2013

Flames do what Sandy didn't to NJ boardwalk

Billows of smoke rolled gently out over the ocean early Friday in New Jersey after firefighters defeated the behemoth blaze that spawned them.

Superstorm Sandy had left Seaside Park's boardwalk wracked but repairable a year ago. But the flames that raged for nine hours Thursday consumed four blocks of it.

By the time the fire crew of hundreds managed to corral the fire, it had destroyed or damaged 50 businesses, CNN affiliate WCBS reported.

"I feel like I want to throw up," said Gov. Chris Christie after getting a look at the fire on Thursday.

Full Story

Post by:
Filed under: Chris Christie • New Jersey • Politics • U.S.
  1. Union construction worker

Mmmmm, more work at exorbitant union rates. I wonder how that fire started?

September 13, 2013 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. saywhat

This in the wake of what Sandy did is a huge set back for NJ. Our hearts go out again to the folks there. They need help.

September 13, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. saywhat

blocked

September 13, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. saywhat

This is a huge set back for NJ after what Sandy did.Our hearts go out to the folks there.They need help.

September 13, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

What started the fire?

September 13, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

Ive been wondering that same thing @ Jeff Frank. I really haven't had time to research it til now. I just became an Aunt (honorary only) to 5 brand new babies, quintuplets! Woohoo! And they are beautiful!

September 13, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

I'm so happy for you Chrissy. Congratulations.

September 14, 2013 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  7. dazzle ©

This is sad what Sandy didn't do this fire did. Kohr's burned out first, it was a great place for frozen custard on top of waffles that I had as a kid. This happened in Seaside Heights not Seaside Park which some media outlets are announcing. No mention of what started the fire but I am glad I saw the boardwalk last year.

September 13, 2013 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dazzle ©

Awaiting moderation for what?

September 13, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

Lol @ dazzle, awaiting moderation is better than just being blocked altogether!

September 13, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |