Biological dad returns 4-year-old Veronica to adoptive parents
September 23rd, 2013

Biological dad returns 4-year-old Veronica to adoptive parents

The 4-year-old girl at the center of a lengthy, high-profile custody dispute between her Native American father and her adoptive parents has been returned to the couple, a spokeswoman for the adoptive family said Monday.

Earlier in the day, the Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled Dusten Brown, the girl's father, must return the girl, named Veronica, to Matt and Melanie Capobianco, who live in South Carolina.

"Veronica is safely in the arms of her parents and has been reunited with her family. Our prayers are with everyone involved this evening. There is no happy ending in this travesty, only closure," said Jessica Munday, a spokeswoman for the family.

The Capobiancos adopted Veronica at birth in 2009 and have been involved in a custody battle since then with Brown, who lives in Oklahoma.

Brown's attorney, Clark Brewster, said his client handed Veronica over Monday night. He said the Browns were "devastated" but thought it best after the court's decision to hand Veronica over to the Capobiancos, with whom she spent the first two years of her life.

"One thing we wanted to avoid was some type of showdown, or sometime of event that would affect Veronica," Brewster said.

The four-year case has spanned state lines and tested an unusual federal law.

The Capobiancos legally adopted Veronica, and Brown learned of her adoption a few months later. Brown, a registered member of the Cherokee tribe, asserted his custody rights under the Indian Child Welfare Act, setting off the legal fight.

A family court judge ruled in Brown's favor in late 2011, and he took his daughter back. The Capobiancos had fought ever since to have Veronica returned.

In June, a divided U.S. Supreme Court sided with the Capobiancos. The justices said the adoption was proper and did not intrude on Brown's federal rights.

The father then took his case to Oklahoma courts. The Oklahoma Supreme Court issued an emergency stay last month to temporarily delay the transfer of Veronica to the Capobiancos.

Monday, it lifted the stay after the two sides couldn't come together on a custody agreement.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. chrissy

Which is why i havent been posting much. But have a nice day ladies and lets hope this child gets to stay in the home shes always known and loves.

September 24, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Scottish Mama

Flaw in ur logic- Oklahoma is a red state.

September 24, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hamsta

Flaw in YOUR logic, look at the date on my next post, who's in charge since 08, remember this is federal.

September 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Munire digneris me

Only the truly deranged would think it was the work of one man, ha ha 😛

September 24, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

I didn't say it was one man, I am saying this how far DEMOCRATS go to mantain power- kidnapping your child to make money and murdering the people who expose their corruption.

September 24, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@Hamsta like me grouping all you religious fanatics together?

September 24, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Please prove that every single person in this voted Democrat. You lied about CC, and you are lying about this.

September 24, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Munire digneris me

Ha ha funny that you knew I was talking about you. :mrgreen:

September 24, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Scottish Mama

5 out of the 9 were put in by republicans.

September 24, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Hamsta

Oh please, anyone who has sern CPS in action knows their caseworkers are liberal women who don't have kids of their own but think they know what's good for everyone else's kid. It was one of Oba-Me's many appointed socialist czars after all that said "Children belong to the community."

September 24, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Observer

I don't care if it's Roem the troll or Santa Claus, he is a liar.

September 24, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

There is no flaw in my logic yes loving home! Why did it take the bio father 4 freakin years to decide he wanted her??

September 24, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Chrissy adoptive parents had her 2 years and bio had her for 2 years. He didn't sign off on the papers because bio mother didn't let bio father know she was pg.

September 24, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

If he wanted that child he shouldve said so before the adoption! He had to sign off the same as the bio mother!

September 24, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Hamsta

Everyone knows that the Tea Party, conservatives, Christians and REAL republicans (that excludes republicans in name only, or closet case liberal dems) stand for less government intrusion, smaller government and the right to keep what belongs to you and that modern liberal democrats (closet case socialists and communists) stand for big government, a nanny state that tells you what you and your kids can eat and what to teach your kids, and that your property, including your children is theirs to do with as they please.

September 24, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Munire digneris me

Ha ha Reagan would be labeled a RINO by the lunatic fringe.
      😀

September 24, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

And Kennedy with "Ask not what your country do for you but what can you do for your country." and other speeches and beliefs Kennedy had would be called a republican by the socialist and communists that hide behind the name of democrat. You know Oba-me and his beloved occupy protestors, Pelosi the used car salesman who wants us to buy the lemon before she tells us the engine is shot. So who's the lunatic fringe? Guilty conscience as always the case with liberals.

September 24, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

What on earth are you on about? You are really reaching here. Here's a quote:
      “Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor." ~ Thomas Jefferson

September 24, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

And no, you never hear Democrats saying anyone is a "DINO", RINO is a term wholly used on the Republicans by other Republicans. Once again, you're reaching.

September 24, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Munire digneris me

Who calls Republicans RINOS? Ha ha other Republicans. You've got the guilty conscience ha ha jumped on that right away. 😛

September 24, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

Only a loopy louie would think that ONE man, and im not talkin superman, is responsible for every single thing! And adoption laws have been in place since Obama was in diapers!

September 24, 2013 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Observer

She corrected a lie by Romney. And if your premiums went up, it's your insurance company gouging you (free enterprise). ACA hasn't gone into effect. Exchanges open October 1st. Get better coverage.

September 24, 2013 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Observer

Crowley corrected a lie Romney uttered. ACA doen't start until 1/1/14, so you company is cheating you. Exchanges open 10/1, shop around.

September 24, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

It is a requirement for the courts to notify the bio father of pending adoption. AND they have to have his signature before adoption can be legally done. If that did not happen then WHY did the supreme court give her back to the adopted parents?

September 24, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

I'm only going by what I have read, chrissy. Look it up.

September 24, 2013 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Hamsta

Tea Party members have JOBS and work hard- Occuppy protestors rely on handouts and leave if approached with job applications. Tea Party members donate to charity and keep the community clean- Occupy protestors hold their hands out looking for charity and leave mountains of trash everywhere they go. Tea Party members encourage self reiance and small government- Occupy protestors encourage government dependence and big Communist government. Just a few differences I noticed between the occupy protestors squating on my front lawn and the Tea party rallies I attended.

September 24, 2013 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Munire digneris me

Ha ha I have a JOB too and everybody I know does. Here's what I got from your post: "Rush told me this and Fox told me that and I am a child left behind." 😀

September 24, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Munire digneris me

Ha ha my name is the beginning of a prayer if you were at all a Christian you'd know that! :mrgreen: Ha ha you just insulted a PRAYER! 😀

September 24, 2013 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

It is readily obvious that you would prefer one party to run this country. And THAT'S Communism, my friend. Or a dicatorship. Which do you prefer?

September 24, 2013 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Does someone think they are holier than thou? Spend some time in the spirit world Jim Jones, like I did, then you can tell me about God.

September 24, 2013 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Yes about a year and a half ago occupy protestors were squatting on my front lawn and the nuetral ground (median, a 15 foot wide grassy area that seperates the opposing traffic lane) as well. After watering my lawn at 2 A.M. several nights the riot police finally ran them off.

September 24, 2013 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Munire digneris me

Ha ha I don't think I'm holier than thou, but you still acted like a baby and insulted a PRAYER! 😀

September 24, 2013 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • 9th Ward Ratboy

I know for DANG sure you aint never gone to no TP rally in the lower 9th! To ghetto. Had to be somewhere else.

September 24, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |