September 26th, 2013

New trial ordered for woman in controversial warning-shot case

An appellate court has ordered a new trial for Marissa Alexander, a 31-year-old mother of three, who was sentenced to 20 years in prison last year for firing a warning shot in an effort to scare off her abusive husband.

Alexander unsuccessfully tried to use Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law to derail the prosecution, but a jury convicted her of aggravated assault after just 12 minutes of deliberation.

The case gained the attention of civil rights leaders who say the African-American woman was persecuted because of her race.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Courts • Florida • Justice
  1. dazzle ©

Umbrage!!! Now I know and you are blue.

September 26, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

Medical school. Now that's my girl. Mine is doing really well. All chemo and everything is done and reconstruction should be in the next couple months.

September 26, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I am so glad, BC! And I'm pretty proud of "our" daughter as well.

September 26, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dazzle ©

At least umbrage could get that in. I am glad your girl is doing so well and chemo and drains are gone. Tori won't forget her friends on here especially papa bobcat and mama banasy. T has a great mind for the sciences and loves chemistry. Not sure who that came from on the family tree.

September 26, 2013 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

I am really proud she is doing so well. T will always be one of my favorites. The time we have all spent together here has been priceless. It would be great if we could get back the old format. But alas, this is the New and Improved TJI. They always want to fix things that aren't broken.

September 26, 2013 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Victoria

Good afternoon to my blogging friends. Florida has always been screwed up but this case is unbelievable. Hamsta are you still fighting against socialism? I am unable to get on here much but be realistic. You have been fighting this war for 2 years on this blog and nothing has changed. As I am forming my political mind I look at opinion pieces on the right and left, watch unbiased television programs, and see if from both sides. I doubt hamsta that you can do that. Have a very good weekend everyone. MamaB and PapaB it is good to see you both and that somehow that word got out about my decision to go to med school not head school like my mom.

September 27, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

Also dazzle, I meant to inquire about you husband, How is he doing over there ? How long is his tour ?

September 26, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dazzle ©

I know what you mean about them fixing what's not broken. He has an uncertain return date. He might not be home for Thanksgiving and his parents want to come from London and his kids and mine too. His mood is upbeat and he worries about me being alone. I love it.

September 26, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

At least she's capable of it. You, on the other hand, lack that.

September 26, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Hamsta

Probably because you don't agree with their socialist or communist political indoctrination. I just had to tell my neighbor that for the first time in my life I am actually proud to be a high school dropout, that I don't buy their prolitical indoctrination and propoganda about everyone being a victim under capitalism because I as a high scool dropout just made more money in four hours than he does in two days.

September 26, 2013 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

That was a reply to ayotolla's question of why they delete his comments but his question even got deleted.

September 26, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Yes, because cognitive dissonance is something to be proud of.

September 27, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

Yea i dont think thats really hamsta. Since i see how quick that post of him never mentioning a sister got deleted! Youre one sick kinda guy JR or rupert or whatever you wanta call yourself.

September 26, 2013 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. rupert

Good morning my favorite folks.
    A special hello to cutie patootie♥

September 27, 2013 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

Lol good morning @ rupert.

September 27, 2013 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

Hey girl, with your compassion and common sense im quite positive you will be a most excellent doctor! Oh yea and that fiesty spirit of yours too of course lol! But we will be proud of you no matter what you choose to do! 😉

September 27, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

In fact @ Victoria i think you would be a refreshing change if you would go for politics! Thats what we need someone young, smart and not tarnished like the present batch! Lol you sure would have my vote no matter what party you chose! Well maybe not the teaparty lol.

September 27, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |