October 21st, 2013

Attorney: Roma couple adopted 'Maria'

The lawyer for a Roma couple accused of abducting the blond girl found living with them says the pair adopted the child from her biological mother.

In a case that has generated huge interest in Greece, authorities have charged the couple with abducting the child they call "Maria." They are due in court Monday.

Authorities released photos of the child, possibly 4 or 5 years old, last week and sought public tips on her birth identity.

FULL STORY

Filed under: World
  1. chrissy

If they legally adopted her from the birth mother there should be some type of paperwork. Why don't they just show it? And if they don't have it in their possession they must know where they can get access to it. If not than they are lieing and in fact did NOT legally adopt her. Sodium pentathal should be able to get the facts!

October 21, 2013 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Gypsies stole a baby? How cliché is that?

October 21, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fat Racist

"The dingos took me baby" ...Greaseballs

October 22, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. vikingwoman

I'm part Roma, my Norwegian grandmom is full! Don't recall any of them ever stealing a kid! These people are criminals no matter what their ethnicity/culture is!!

October 22, 2013 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

That rumor was put out as a way to keep Gypsies from camping in towns, back in the day. I, too, am part Roma; my mom is full blooded Hungarian Roma. I assure you, they never stole any children, lol.

October 22, 2013 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • wut

That you know of... Every culture has a horrible history and many crimes committed by members, sometimes openly.
      These people wouldn't pretend to have so many children if they weren't getting money for it, and there are always lots of nasty reasons to abduct children. The farther back you go the more certain that crimes were committed in any culture.

October 22, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Well, gollygeewillikers, wut, I was talking about my mother's family. I you think you know something about them, do spill.
      And who are "these people" pretending to have so many children? If you're talking about this couple, fine. However, please tell me you're not a Hitler apologist.

October 22, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • wut

I'm not making personal digs here, I'm just saying that it is likely child abductions occur in every culture and that it is also UN-likely that any person would have knowledge about something always done secretly, and that the farther back you go in history, the more widespread such things become.
      With a name like "vikingwoman" I would expect that person to acknowledge that the Vikings did horrible things to other cultures that were themselves doing horrible things a long time ago. I am part Norwegian (a strange sub-category) and know my Norwegian forebears practiced all types of villany. No culture is innocent of such things.
      Even our "modern" American culture used to abduct children from foreign lands to serve as slaves.
      These days, there are still people who abduct children for different reasons. They do it more secretly now that there are more countries that oppose it.
      Yes, that couple seems to be taking advantage of the horrible lack of oversight as well as taking advantage of the badly-designed system for financial gain. I frankly do not understand your "Hitler apologist" dig, as Nazis as well as Jews have abducted children in the past, often over the lifeless bodies of their families.
      Nobody wants to talk about what is horrible in the past, maybe something they saw other people do, and have often blocked it out as a terrible memory. Often these crimes are done with individual motivation, and thus are not culturally-based, but sometimes there are networks of such people, with many crimes all tangled together, such as this couple seems to be doing.
      Will this post? Usually a large post like this is deleted, perhaps automatically. I don't care. I wrote it and it's done.

October 23, 2013 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Crimes against children have always existed. My point, which still stands, is that Gypsies have always been vilified; even if they did nothing more than to camp outside of towns that eagerly reviled them while visiting them to take advantage of their folk wisdom.

October 23, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • wut

Perhaps there is some confusion here.
      You say, "...that Gypsies have always been vilified; even if they did nothing more than to camp outside of towns that eagerly reviled them while visiting them to take advantage of their folk wisdom."
      As a group of people experiencing shunning / exclusion as they drifted from place to place, their culture did not "always" exist except as a primate grouping of clan-less primates who avoided groups either on purpose or because they were driven away – on an individual basis, I might add..- or for whatever reason.
      You call them Gypsies, yet do not address the many different migration status of any particular DNA group and appear to just label them all the same and say they have "always" been vilified, blah, blah.
      The psycho-social factors of roaming groups and individuals without a permanent settlement, "nomads" if you like, resemble a hunter-gatherer lifestyle as opposed to a farmer-type lifestyle, who view resources differently and consume those resources differently, but there is more to the story than that.
      Yet you say they have always been vilified. Really? It's all one or the other? Always? Never a change of anything?
      And who would dare visit them if they hated them? You are talking about it as if it were the exact same people every time doing only one thing and real people don't work that way. Just sayin.

October 23, 2013 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I have no interest in continuing a conversation about my family lore. What I have posted is anecdotal, passed down by my family and borne out with some written accounts; if you do not accept it, I am fine with that. Have a nice evening.

October 23, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

Therefore, you are wrong.

October 22, 2013 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. Fat Racist

What is it blondes and greaseballs anyways...

October 22, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • rupert

U should know u make ur gf dye her hair

October 23, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

It's really too bad that Verdi isn't still alive to write an opera about this. MARIA is a perfect ti-
    tle role, and Greece is fun as a setting.

October 23, 2013 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  7. vikingwoman

As a Swede/Norwegian I'm well versed in Scandinavian history & even the Vikings have been maligned in history books! In fact they were often peaceful traders & explorers! They (Leif Eriksson) were the actual 'discoverers' of North America! And yes, they also plundered & pillaged & were proud of their reputation as 'bad as.ses'! That was the world they lived in! As far as my Tartar Roma heritage, my mom remembers the Nazi occupation of Norway & how she & her family had to hide from the 'round ups of undesirables'! Good/Bad is simply the dichotomy of humanity which still continues today!

October 24, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. vikingwoman

What's you history,@ Rupert? Posers are people who can't back up their claims! I can, can you??

October 24, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. TvNyC

Obamacare is in.

October 26, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Not even a decent attempt at mimicry. Someone needs to focus on Columbus Barbie and leave women he'll never have the privilege to know alone.

October 28, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |