November 8th, 2013

Super Typhoon Haiyan hits central Philippines

With 25 million people in its path, Super Typhoon Haiyan - one of the strongest storms recorded on the planet - smashed into the Philippines on Friday morning.

As the storm plowed across the cluster of islands in the heart of the country, casualties were reported, more than 100,000 people took shelter in evacuation centers and hundreds of flights were canceled.

The storm brought tremendously powerful winds roaring ashore as it made landfall in the province of Eastern Visayas, disrupting communications with a major city in its path.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Weather • World
  1. chrissy

Aww dearheart @ Joey, you have always been a kind soul! Sometimes brutally honest, but thats not a bad thing! And thank you for the compliment even though it wasn't required. Lol its just one of the many things i learned from my dad (to stand on my own 2 feet and be responsible) that i didnt know i learned until he was gone! My dad was one of the hardest working people i ever knew! Hf quit school in the 8th grade to work on a dairy farm so he could support his grandmother, with whom he lived with!

November 10, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

Aww @ Joey, dearheart! You have always been a kind, gentle soul. And ty for the compliment even though it wasn't neccessary! One thing i learned from my dad even though i didn't realise it until he was gone, was to be responsible and to stand on my own 2 feet! And HE was the hardest working person i ever knew! He quit school in the 8th grade, to work on a dairy farm to support his grandma, with whom he lived.

November 10, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini¬©

@chrissy, thanks for reminding me: I still have a lot I want to accomplish, so that's a tremendous amount of hard work I have to do. Right!

November 10, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

Blocked from responding to Joey?? Wierd.

November 10, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff Roem

Another successful day impersonating people. I am content.

November 10, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

You should be @ Jeff Roem since it was you and not i @ 7:46!

November 10, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

And i guess i need to remind you again, I DO NOT TROLL! Nor do i steal names like you do because im not afraid to speak under my own name! Why are YOU so ashamed to speak under your own name @ Jeff Roem?? Must be some reason....do tell!

November 10, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

Trolls serve one purpose in reminding serious persons that the world is not a safe place. The lack of good will among men is one reason to avoid excessive disarmament.

November 11, 2013 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |