November 11th, 2013

Typhoon survivors' grim struggle amid corpses

Survivors root through the splintered wreckage of their homes searching for loved ones who may be buried beneath. Others are scrambling to find food and water in areas littered with corpses.

Three days after Super Typhoon Haiyan, one of the strongest storms in recorded history, scythed across the central Philippines, people here are struggling to grasp the enormity of what they have lost and the challenges they still face.

The storm, known as Yolanda in the Philippines, has left devastation on a monumental scale in its wake.

FULL STORY

Filed under: World
  1. BOMBO

Find a reputable charity like the Red Cross and give generously to storm relief.

November 11, 2013 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

How is the family faring?

November 11, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO

They are OK banasy. They didn't get the high winds in Mindanao, just lots of rain.

November 11, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

This is good news.

November 12, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

TJI will not let me reply to BOMBO's news? What is WRONG with this site, anyway?

November 12, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Just Juarez

Happy Veterans Day!

November 11, 2013 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. saywhat

Agree@BOMBO. This is heart rending.
    @Just Juarez
    And to you too.

November 11, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

To my dear friends here who have served our country: thank you for your sacrifice. I adore you all.
    Happy Veteran's Day.

November 11, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

I was much happier with my country when it would have been inconceivable to respond to returning soldiers with spitting and insults.

November 11, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Especially when those returning soldiers, for those most part, had no choice but to go.
      A shameful way to treat our soldiers; simply shameful.

November 11, 2013 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

Share your sentiments@banasy
    Politics & futility of war and a war weary public no longer willing to accept what the politicos have been dishing out for the past 12 yrs.

November 11, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. saywhat

That was also in response to thoughts expressed by@JI-F.

November 11, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

Happy Veterans Day to all of you who have served. The indebtedness that we owe each and every one of you can never be repaid. It takes a very special person, especially in this age when your service is voluntary, to put your lives out there to protect the freedoms and liberties so many take for granted. For those of you who were able to return, hold your loved ones close and remember it was them you chose to protect. For the families of those who have given the ultimate sacrifice, my deepest condolences. They will always be with you in your hearts and minds. Always cherish the freedoms they fought to protect.

I SALUTE YOU ALL.

November 11, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©

Thank you CNN for not letting me post my annual tribute to our veterans. JERKS

Suffice it to say that my thanks and respect to all of our veteran, those with us and those in memory, will never waiver.

I SALUTE YOU ALL.

November 11, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Love ya , Rawr.

November 11, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

Right back atcha my dear friend.

November 11, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Veteran

You are welcome. I enjoyed my job and it was a privilege to serve. Thank you kindly for the acknowledgement.

November 11, 2013 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kenny Rogers

Bobcat (in a hat) you have made us proud and I thank you.

November 11, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ¬©

So proud KR so you troll us. Try stopping that.

November 11, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (in a hat)©

# Veteran
    All you guys and gals are enti tled to our respect. It takes a special person to do what you do..

November 11, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BOMBO

The vets that I've met who actually fought say absolutely NOTHING about the war. The stereotype about the vet with lots of war stories is false.

November 11, 2013 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BOMBO

The company I work for is matching employee contributions 1:1. So is the Canadian government. So everything I give to this cause triples. Cool.

November 11, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Very cool!

November 12, 2013 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. BOMBO

I was curious a while ago what country was the most generous in the world, as measured by individual charitable contributions. I checked multiple websites and the answer is

THE USA

It's actually not even close. Give yourselves a pat on the backs.

November 11, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat)©

I'm starting off the day on a very upset note. I was just reading an article on Military.com talking about the strong possibility of our men and women in uniform being asked to accept a cut in pay and benefits so as to be able to maintain military readiness. If this doesn't anger everyone, then you have no support for our troops. The article goes on to state, that at this time, Congress will not be on board for this. Can you guess why ? That's right, 2014.
    What is wrong with this picture ? If anyone should be required to relinquish their pay and benefits, it should be those do nothing Fat Cats up on the hill.

November 12, 2013 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Who is threatening to cut their pay if not Congress?
      Perhaps the powers that be should quit manufacturing reasons to invade overseas.

November 12, 2013 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

That's exactly right banasy. Instead of putting the burden on our warriors, as usual, how about we close some of those thousands of useless bases we have in so many countries !? Think of the billions that would save all by itself.
      But the biggest thing that sticks in my craw is again the ridiculous pay and benefits of our hierarchy. In the day of our forefathers, it was considered an honor to serve the consi tuents of this country. Now they look at it as an enti tlement and that we should be honored to send them on a lifelong overpaid vacation.

November 12, 2013 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Totally agree.
      How about cutting out the defense contracts that are churning out equipment and parking them, unused, in AZ?

November 12, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |