November 22nd, 2013

Speaking out against cell service on planes

Commercial air travel is already filled with annoyances like shrinking personal space, overpriced meals and frequent delays. For many people, there's one bright spot to flying: A forced break from making, receiving and hearing phone calls.

That could change with the Federal Communication Commissions new proposal to drop the ban on cellular connections and allow phone calls once a plane reaches 10,000 feet.

The FCC first pitched the idea in 2004, before the rise of the smartphone. The reaction from passengers and flight attendant unions at the time was loud and negative: phone calls on planes would be disruptive, annoying and a potential safety issue. The FCC decided against the proposal.

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S.
  1. chrissy

No kidding 69 days is a long time!

December 1, 2013 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. dazzle ©

A train crash in the Bronx with fatalities doesn't earn a blog. If you keep on controlling your payroll your bottom line will still be red.

December 1, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Initially, the operator said the brakes failed. Now they're questioning about the speed of the train. sure hope it isn't another case like in Spain where the operator was busy texting.

December 1, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

Same story 10 days and counting. WOO HOO. Goin for the gold.

December 2, 2013 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

Lol @ bobcat! That was cute. The most they can hope for is bronze and i probably spelled that wrong.

December 2, 2013 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Too bad that they don't offer lead. They've set the bar so low, just about any site can step over them.

December 2, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rascal Rabble's Holiday Blues

i refuse to disco with discus...purrrty! purrrty! pease! up date this blog...riding intothe new year with stale bread article...,

December 2, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic

December 3, 2013 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat (in a hat)©

A woman is paying for some purchases at Macy’s. As she reaches for her card, a TV remote control falls out of her purse. The sales clerk asks, “Do you always carry your TV remote?” “No.” the woman says, “But my husband refused to come shopping with me today. I figured this was a great way to pay him back.”

December 3, 2013 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. Katrina Onufer

Times sure are changing.

December 3, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. saywhat

Thanks and good morning @bobcat. very appropriate for the buying frenzy gripping folks these days.

December 3, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. saywhat

I was kind of hoping to catch you here today my friend.
    An article by that admirable vet Gordon Duff in 'Veterans Today' worth your attention and that of other bloggers " Iran Deal a Blow to Fraudsters".

December 3, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (in a hat)©

Hello saywhat
    It's good to see you again my friend. Thank you for the info. I will check it out and hope to catch you here later.

December 3, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ saywhat
    I've been trying to respond for the last couple hours to no avail. But I'll try once more.
    I read the article you directed me to and my eyes were opened. Not by the fact that this was a blind push by the powers that be, like the WMDs of Iraq, but by how long this farce has been perpetuated. It pleases me to see Netanyahu being put in his place and being further exposed for the deceitful person he is.

December 3, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. saywhat

Thanks@bobcat.
    Its my hope that more and more Americans get to realize what has really been going on, for the sake of this country of ours.
    I also hope that other bloggers especially @dazzle@chrissy@banasy@JI-F take a moment to research this article.
    Have a good one.

December 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

Hello. I tried to post re our NYC train wreck, but the computer must not remember me as OK to let in.

December 6, 2013 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |