January 8th, 2014

Weather: South paw to wallop polar vortex back up to Canada

Soon, it will be time to strike up an old fight song and send the iceman packing: "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye!"
The mighty polar vortex marched down the length of the nation to the Gulf of Mexico with a glacial momentum that may have seemed unstoppable.
But its days are numbered, as a southern one-two punch is set to knock the rare arctic blast back up to Canada, said CNN meteorologist Jenny Harrison.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. bobcat (in a hat)©

Well the rebels down here always have proclaimed that "The South Shall Rise Again." We'll thaw ya'll out the best we can.

January 8, 2014 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

We're a balmy 7 degrees here. What are you guys, about 30 right now? Wish I could come down and see you.

January 8, 2014 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Yeah, we're just now hitting 30 degrees. It's supposed to be about 49 today and up to 70 by the weekend. The weather you've had up there these past few days is what drove me to the south 38 years ago.

January 8, 2014 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

The winters here go in cycles; last year we had very little snow and much milder temps. I'd love to move to a warmer climate...maybe after we retire.

January 8, 2014 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. MI Snowman

Thanks! Thaw us soon. Lol!

January 8, 2014 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

We got the heater cranked back up and hopefully we'll have you above freezing by the weekend. Hang in there.

January 8, 2014 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • MI Snowman

I'm a hanging. Lol!

January 8, 2014 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

They give such inventive names to weather events these days.

January 8, 2014 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

Polar Vortex. That would be a good name for a professional wrestler.

January 8, 2014 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Or, as Jon Stewart pointed out, a great Syfy original movie, a la "Sharknado".

January 8, 2014 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

A husband and his wife were sound asleep when suddenly the phone rang.

The husband picked up the phone and said, "Hello? How the heck do I know? What do I look like, a weatherman?" He then slammed the phone down and settled into bed.

"Who was that?" asked his wife.

"I don't know. It was some guy who wanted to know if the coast was clear."

January 8, 2014 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

Two men meet on the street
    “It was very cold this morning”
    “How cold was it?”
    “I don't know exactly, but I saw a lawyer
    with his hands in his own pockets.”

January 8, 2014 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

When I went for a walk today it was so cold...
      hitchhikers were holding up pictures of thumbs!

It was so cold...the squirrels in the park were throwing themselves at an electric fence!

January 8, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

It was so cold . . .
      a streaker froze in mid-streak! The town council just stuck a plaque on him and pretended he was a Greek statue until spring.

January 8, 2014 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

#3: like!

January 8, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat (in a hat)©

A man goes on a 2-month business trip to Europe and leaves his cat with his brother. Three days before his return he calls his brother.

Brother 1: So how is my cat doing?

Brother 2: He's Dead

Brother 1: He's Dead! What do you mean He's Dead! I loved that cat. Couldn't you think of a nicer way to tell me! I'm leaving in 3 days. You could of broke me to the news easier. You could of told me today that she got out of the house or something. Then when I called before I left you could of told me, Well, we found her but she is up on the roof and we're having trouble getting her down. Then when I call you from the airport you could of told me, The Fire Department was there and scared her off the roof and the cat died when it hit the ground.

Brother 2: I'm sorry...you're right...that was insensitive I won't let it happen again.

Brother 1: Alright, alright, forget about it. Anyway, how is Mom doing?

Brother 2: She's up on the roof and we're having trouble getting her down

January 8, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • MI Snowman

Good ones! Lol!

January 8, 2014 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

Still colder than a welldiggers asset here!!

January 9, 2014 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. The Prophet

It's not called vortex, it's a surge and it's caused by the sun recent 12/17/13 bursts of energy which reached the earth atmosphere with massive force to pull and stretch the atmosphere thus causing all weathered related conditions and patterns, including earthquakes. The sun is expanding outward at some point in its life it will self extinguish to become just a nebula of dust.

January 10, 2014 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |