January 17th, 2014

Obama announces modest changes to NSA collection

Under pressure by last year's classified leaks of U.S. surveillance, President Barack Obama on Friday unveiled new guidance for intelligence-gathering and reforms intended to balance what he called the nation's vital security needs with concerns over privacy and civil liberties.

In a speech at the Justice Department, Obama sought to defend the need for the government to gather intelligence while responding to protests raised at home and abroad over programs revealed in the leaks by former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden.

Obama outlined a series of steps - some immediate and some requiring time to work out, possibly with Congress - that would change some aspects of NSA collection of phone records and other information but generally leave intact the core and function of existing programs.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. chrissy

Big fat furry deal!

January 17, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • josie

I quit working at shoprite and now I make $35h – $80h...how? I'm working online! My work didn't exactly make me happy so I decided to take a chance on something new… after 4 years it was so hard to quit my day job but now I couldn't be happier. Heres what I do....... W­ORKJURY.C­O­M

March 1, 2014 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • mels

fdhykSince I started with my online business I earn $58 every 15 minutes. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don't check it out

----– W­WW.D­ITJ­OB­S.C­O­M

March 7, 2014 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Which will promptly be ignored by the NSA and Congress.

January 17, 2014 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff Frank (Ohio T-Party)"Right Wing Insanity"

A day late, and a dollar short.

January 17, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

Ya know our POTUS was alot tougher his 1st term! Those congressional clowns have wore him down i think. Time to get a female POTUS i think! Lmao

January 17, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ronvan

So, POTUS, makes some minor changes, and then puts it all back on others to fix!? Now I suppose HE will "think" that WE, the people, will say the POTUS did his job and it is others who are to blame?

January 19, 2014 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Congress will ignore them, just like Congress voted down every effort to fix it last year. So, yeah, he is doing his job if he at least tries.

January 19, 2014 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

Lmao @ ronvan, seriously? He is only ONE man and THAT man aint superman ya know. Plus he works 20 times more hours than our elected brats (and maybe even more) who have said since day 1 that it is their mission to make sure he goes down as a failure. So WHO do YOU honestly think has the MOST to GAIN by making sure it DOESNT get fixed? And its in a very large part our blame as well, since WE THE PEOPLE keep repeatedly voting in this class of clowns we call Congress!

January 19, 2014 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. The Phophet

Relax it all be on the State of Union show tonight !!!

January 28, 2014 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  8. Latest news today

Nice blog to update citizens with current and most reliable news. Thanks for promoting this.

February 20, 2014 at 4:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. liz

How can the administration still criminalize Snowdon? The guy forced even POTUS to try a change in NSA law. Who is wrong and who is right here?

April 1, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |