January 20th, 2014

Comet-chasing probe expected to wake up

Like a groggy traveler after a long, cold night, the European Space Agency's comet-chasing Rosetta spacecraft woke up, warmed up and took stock of its surroundings early Monday as it prepared to phone home before setting off on the final leg of its journey.

At least, that's the hope of ESA controllers, who won't know exactly what happened in the dark reaches of our solar system until the spacecraft manages to shake off its 31 months of sleep, turn its antennas toward Earth and send a brief message that will take 45 minutes to arrive. The message isn't expected to arrive at the ESA's Darmstadt, Germany, operations center until at least 6:30 p.m. (12:30 p.m. ET).

That's about 5½ hours after the spacecraft's internal alarm was set to go off.

The spacecraft, launched in 2004, is some 497,000 miles (800,000 kilometers) from Earth, ESA says.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. carmenwsweeney

March 15, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. ramsdenjcb

Are you still single? If you think black and white is a beautiful combination. JOIN
    -–>♥ BlackWhitëHub.COM ♥ site is for you. This is a serious Interracial dating services and mixed race dating site dedicated to those seeking real love. For black men dating white women,white men looking for black women. Millions of singles have joined it. What are you waiting for?xcbxcbxcbxcb

March 28, 2014 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. kaifsim

my friend's step-mother earned $20557 past month. she works on the internet and moved in a $514900 house. All she did was get fortunate and put into action the information shown on this link

>>> ----– Z­UNO­JOB.C­OM­

March 31, 2014 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. nokatmaghribiya

very nice sharing

April 6, 2014 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. nokat maghribiya

I have copied this topic to my own site

thanks

April 6, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. donnalbrown

Start working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do……. JOBS333.C­O­M

April 10, 2014 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply