Tent camps dot the streets inÂ Port-au-Prince, Haiti. The shelters, sometimes just draped tarps, are all that stand between residents and Mother Nature.
More than 400,000 of those residents live in the tents, all they've called home since a 7.0-magnitude earthquake rocked the Haitian capital in 2010, reducing many of of the structures in the capital and its suburbs to rubble.
Two years removed from the earthquake, Haitians are praying again. This time, they hope they will be spared Tropical Storm Isaac, which appears to be headed straight for them.
The country is still trying to battle back from a deadly cholera outbreak after the 2010 earthquake. So as theÂ storm threatensÂ to bring winds of about 74 mph and 12 inches of rain,Â the challenges are mounting. The U.S. National Hurricane Center warned that the rain could cause life-threatening flash floods and mudslides.
Aid organizations are preparing for the worst.
Eleven bodies have been found and 13 people remain missing after a boat carrying 28 Haitian migrants ran into trouble while on its way to the United States, the U.S. Coast Guard said Tuesday.
Four of those on board made it safely to shore and raised the alarm with the Bahamas police force, said U.S. Coast Guard spokesman Petty Officer Jon-Paul Rios.
The Haitians' vessel broke up off Hawksbill Cay in the Bahamas, he said.
Haitian Prime Minister Garry Conille submitted his resignation Friday, President Michel Joseph Martelly announced.
Conille just assumed the position in October after being ratified by the country's Senate.
The prime minister is a former United Nations development specialist and previously served as chief of staff for former President Bill Clinton, the special U.N. envoy in Haiti. In that role, he was involved in international aid delivery to Haiti following the devastating earthquake in 2010.
In a post on his official Facebook page, Martelly said only that his office received Conille's resignation.
Martelly is expected to address the nation Friday evening.
Extreme weather - The heat wave is taking a deadly toll across the nation, particularly on athletes, as two football players and a coach died during summer football practices this week. The heat wave, now in its second month, is responsible for record-setting electricity use in Texas and dozens of deaths across the U.S. heartland.
Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Emily is bringing heavy rains to Haiti on Thursday, heading directly over Port-au-Prince, where many quake victims live under precarious conditions. Nearly 12,000 U.N. peacekeepers are on emergency standby.
And Typhoon Kabayan, forecast to be a category 4 storm, could hit or pass Okinawa, Japan, late Thursday. The typhoon has boosted monsoon rains over the northern Philippines.
Turkey recall - Cargill Meat Solutions Corp. announced an immediate recall of 36 million pounds of ground turkey meat because it may be contaminated with salmonella bacteria. Cargill's plant in Springdale, Arkansas, processed the fresh and frozen ground turkey products between February 20 and August 2, the company said. At least one person has died and 76 have been sickened in 26 states.
Three stories you need to know today:
L.A. gridlock: The mayor of Los Angeles will hold a press conference on Monday to explain measures the city will take when the 405 Freeway, Southern California's busiest traffic artery, is closed for a weekend in July.
On the weekend of July 15-18, a 10-mile section of Interstate 405, also known as the San Diego Freeway, will be closed to take down the Mulholland Drive overpass in a plan to add a carpool lane and other improvements.
Transportation officials warn of multi-hour traffic delays in Los Angeles County and beyond during the weekend closure and warn residents to plan ahead.
Some just plan on hunkering down.
"We'll be landlocked and isolated. We're going to Ralph's early, stocking up and not leaving the house for two days," Gerald Silver of Encino told the Los Angeles Daily News.
Tropical weather: A large area of disturbed weather in the western Caribbean Sea stands a 40 percent chance of becoming the season's first tropical cyclone in the next two days, the National Hurricane Center reports.
An Air Force Reserve "hurricane hunter" aircraft will fly into the system Monday to take measurements, according to the NHC.
Forecasters warn that even if the system does not reach tropical cyclone status, it's still likely to bring drenching rains, flash flooding and mudslides to parts of Jamaica and Haiti, where hundreds of thousands of people remain displaced after the January 2010 earthquake that devastated Port-au-Prince.
The British Red Cross warned last week that the coming of the rainy and hurricane seasons to Haiti bring new fears of an increase in cholera. One treatment center reported a 50% increase in the past week.
Flamboyant carnival musician Michel Martelly defeated former Haitian first lady Mirlande Manigat in Haiti's presidential runoff vote last month, according to preliminary results released Monday.
Martelly took 67.6% of the vote, while Manigat received 31.5%, according to Pierre Thibault, spokesman for Haiti's Provisional Electoral Council.
Final results are scheduled to be announced April 16.
- Journalist Allyn Gaestel contributed to this report.
Musician Michel Martelly won Haiti's last month's presidential runoff with 67.57 percent of the vote,Â according to Pierre Thibault, spokesman for Haiti's provisional electoral council.
compared with 31.74 percent for Mirlande Manigat,according to Pierre Thibault – spokesman for Haiti's provisionalelectoral council who read out the results at a press conference Mondayevening at the electoral council headquarters in Petionville,Port-au-Prince.
The ol' cut and run - An Oklahoma man is accused of stuffing a chainsaw down his pants and running. Well, waddling is likely a better word. The best part about this absurd story is the repeated use of the term "britches" and the infamous local news standby – the old camera man re-enactment routine.
The United States is revoking the visas of some Haitian officials because of concern about election violations, P.J. Crowley, the State Department spokesman, said Friday.
Crowley would not specify who was impacted, but a senior administration official said it involved "a couple dozen" people.
- From CNN Foreign Affairs Correspondent Jill DoughertyFULL STORY
The five most popular stories on CNN.com in the past 24 hours, according to NewsPulse.
Airline pilot found dead in home: Florida authorities on Tuesday appealed for the public's help in the case of an American Airlines pilot who was found dead of an apparent homicide in his Pompano home.
Haiti's 'Baby Doc' taken into custody: Extraordinary drama unfolded Tuesday in Port-au-Prince as charges were filed against former Haitian dictator Jean-Claude "Baby Doc" Duvalier, government sources said.
Regis Philbin announces retirement: After more than 40 years in television, Regis Philbin is retiring from the small screen.
Two teens shot at California high school: A 17-year-old boy arrested after a handgun in his backpack accidentally discharged and wounded two other high students Tuesday was able to bring his automatic pistol on campus apparently because the Los Angeles school does only random metal detector checks, police said.
Boy, 14, kills 2 family members: A 14-year-old South Carolina boy used the rifle his father bought him as a birthday present to shoot the man to death, along with a great-aunt, and critically wound his grandmother.
Former Haitian dictator Jean-Claude "Baby Doc" Duvalier was taken into custody Tuesday and transported to a courthouse where a hearing will determine whether he will be arrested.
Duvalier appeared from the hotel room where he has been holed up since his mysterious return to Haiti on Sunday. His hands free of handcuffs, he waived to a small crowd of supporters before heavily armed police escorted him away.
Duvalier's departure from the Karibe Hotel came after a morning of intense legal activity. A judge and chief prosecutor had entered the hotel to question Duvalier.FULL STORY
Michele Montas, a Haitian journalist and a former spokeswoman for the U.N. Secretary-General, said Monday night that she plans to file a criminal complaint against former Haitian ruler Jean-Claude Duvalier.
"We have enough proof. There are enough people who can testify. And what I will do is go to a public prosecutor and there is a public prosecutor that could actually accommodate our complaints," she told CNN's "Parker Spitzer."
Under Duvalier's presidency, thousands were killed and tortured, and hundreds of thousands of Haitians fled into exile, says human rights group Amnesty International.
Former Haitian dictator Jean-Claude "Baby Doc" Duvalier remained huddled inside his hotel Monday, as the reasons behind his unexpected return to Haiti and what he hoped to accomplish remained unclear.
Duvalier returned to his homeland Sunday after some 25 years in exile, adding uncertainty into an already turbulent situation.
A scheduled press conference at his hotel Monday was canceled at the last minute because the hotel was not equipped to handle the crowd, and no other location could be found, Henry Robert Sterlin, a Duvalier associate, told reporters.FULL STORY
Jean-Claude "Baby Doc" Duvalier, Haiti's former dictator, returned unexpectedly Sunday to the country after some 25 years in exile.
He arrived in the Haitian capital as the nation is grappling with a political crisis, sparked by fraud allegations in a presidential election. It was not immediately clear why the former leader returned.
Duvalier, wearing a dark suit and tie, greeted supporters at the busy Port-au-Prince airport. He had traveled with his wife.
The Duvalier family ruled Haiti for three decades starting in 1957, when Francois "Papa Doc" Duvalier was elected president. He later declared himself president for life. Whe he died in 1971, he was succeeded by his 19-year-old son, Jean-Claude "Baby Doc" Duvalier.
The younger Duvalier held onto power for 15 years before a revolt forced him to flee the country. He has been living in FranceFULL STORY
A long-term, sustainable recovery in Haiti can't take place if the economy doesn't grow and the country doesn't take major steps toward becoming self-reliant. There is no shortage of ideas for ways to create jobs.
But beyond daily necessities like delivering food and water, cleaning facilities at tent cities and clearing rubble by hand, few ideas that would produce long-lasting results have gone from the drawing board to implementation.
So business leaders and the Interim Haitian Recovery Commission are turning to areas where there has been success in the past. At one point, Haiti's garment manufacturing sector employed over 100,000 people.
Today, 28,000 Haitians find themselves behind sewing machines or moving goods and supplies. A deal signed with a Korean company on the day before the anniversary of the earthquake promises to create 20,000 new garment industry jobs in the north of Haiti at a new industrial park and create 5,000 new homes in the region.
But how do you convince buyers and suppliers to continue doing business with you when your country was devastated by massive earthquake that crippled the infrastructure and left 230,000 people dead?
CNN's Steve Kastenbaum spoke with one factory owner about his experience getting the production lines humming again.
Thousands of nongovernmental organizations have been working in Haiti in the past year. They range fromÂ operations of just a few people supporting a school or orphanage to some of the largest aid groups in the world, like the Red Cross. Regardless of their size, there has been no shortage of work for them to do after the devastating earthquake.
A handful of aid organizations have taken on the difficult task of reuniting children who became separated from their families. They've developed a database of information on more than 5,000 cases. In a country where accurate records of family histories were already difficult to come by, it can take months of painstaking detective work to establish a verifiable connection between a child and a living relative.
CNN's Steve Kastenbaum spoke with an official from an aid organization that has been reuniting families amid the chaos. Listen to the story here:
They filled the grounds in front of the collapsed cathedral in Haiti's capital Wednesday. To remember. To cope. To pray.
Wednesday marked the first anniversary of the earthquake that changed the face of a nation.
More than 200,000 people perished last January 12 when the earth shook violently for a few seconds. Houses toppled, swallowing residents alive. Government offices and landmark buildings, including the Notre Dame cathedral, came tumbling down.
Five days ago, three more bodies were pulled from the rubble in central Port-au-Prince.
Haitians still come to pray at the cathedral every Sunday. On this day, the crowds overwhelmed the small park in front. People embraced one another and cried openly. There was no reason to hide the sorrow that pervades their lives every day.
In one neighborhood, a man woke up residents as he walked through the streets at dawn. He carried a Bible and recited prayers.
Faith is all that many Haitians have left.FULL STORY
Arizona shooting - President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama will travel Wednesday to Tucson, Arizona, and take part in a memorial service for the six people killed by a gunman at a public meeting hosted by Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was severely wounded. The president is expected to speak at the service.
The U.S. House of Representatives will consider a resolution that honors Giffords, who remains in intensive care. The resolution also reaffirms the First Amendment rights of assembly and petition as "bedrock principles" of American democracy. It recognizes the other victims of the shooting andÂ applauds those who subdued the gunman and assisted the victims.
As the anniversary of the devastating event is remembered today CNN is taking a look back at some of the people we met during the disaster and where thing stand.
For more coverage on Haiti:
Haitians are marking the one year anniversary of the 7.0 earthquake that devastated their country today.
While thousands of aid organizations and non-profit groups answered the call for help and the international community pledged billions of dollars to the recovery effort, progress on a large scale has been hard to come by in Haiti.
That's not to say that work hasn't been taking place. Signs of improvement dot the landscape. But 1.2 million people still make their homes in tent cities. Rubble and damaged buildings are seen at every turn. Those images have some people wondering what is happening with the money that they donated to the cause.
To the outside observer, the reconstruction process seems to be taking too long. But many people working on the ground in Haiti say they are right where they expected to be one year after the quake given the complexity of the problems the country faces. Listen to the story here:
The death toll in Haiti's cholera outbreak has risen to 3,333, and another 149,000 people have fallen sick, according to the latest figures from the country's Department of Health.