One of the first journalists to go on the record and allege phone hacking at News of the World was found dead Monday, the British Press Association said.
Sean Hoare, a former News of the World employee, "was discovered at his home in Watford, Hertfordshire, after concerns were raised about his whereabouts," the press association said.
"The death is being treated as 'unexplained, but not thought to be suspicious,'" the report quoted Hertfordshire police as saying.
He had publicly accused the paper of phone-hacking and using "pinging" - a method of tracking someone's cell phone using technology that only police and security officials could access - according to the New York Times.
Hoare was one of the few sources who allowed his name to be used when speaking to the Times last year for an investigative report about allegations of phone-hacking by the British tabloid.
In his remarks, he specifically accused Andy Coulson - former editor of News of the World, who went on to become PrimeÂ Minister David Cameron's communications director - of wrongdoing.
The British police officer who ruled two years ago that there was no reason to pursue an investigation into phone hacking by journalists resigned Monday, the second top Metropolitan Police officer to quit in less than 24 hours.
Assistant Commissioner John Yates - who has since called his decision "crap" - was due to be suspended when he quit, the Metropolitan Police Authority said.
The resignation came the day after Britain's top police officer, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Paul Stephenson, resigned in light of close links between the police and journalists they were supposed to be investigating.John Yates decided in 2009 not to investigate phone hacking.
Former News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks was arrested Sunday in connection with British police investigations into phone hacking and police bribery, her spokesman told CNN.
She is being quizzed by police in London after having come in by appointment, a Metropolitan Police spokesman said.
Brooks did not know she was going to be arrested when she arrived, her spokesman Dave Wilson said.
She resigned on Friday as chief executive of Rupert Murdoch's News International, which published the News of the World.FULL STORY
British Prime Minister David Cameron blasted media baron Rupert Murdoch's News International Wednesday as he launched a high-powered investigation into the press prompted by outrage at allegations of widespread illegal phone hacking and police bribery by the press.
The judge leading the inquiry will be able to summon witnesses including newspaper owners and make them testify in public, under oath, Cameron announced.
The aim is to "bring this ugly chapter to a close and ensure that nothing like it ever happens again," the prime minister said.FULL STORY
Heat wave - A blistering heat wave retreated to the south Wednesday, bringing some relief to the Ohio Valley and Northeastern United States. The number of states under heat advisories has diminished to 12 - half the number earlier in the week. Dangerous heat is expected across parts of northern Texas through Thursday evening, according to the National Weather Service. Other states still sweltering under heat advisories are Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South and North Carolina, and Virginia.
Roger Clemens trial - A federal jury in Washington are set to hear opening statements Wednesday in Roger Clemens' perjury trial. The former baseball star is accused of lying to a congressional panel about whether he'd ever used steroids.
Andy Coulson, the prime minister's former press secretary, was arrested Friday in connection with allegations of phone hacking and corruption in a case that promises to be a growing political liability for David Cameron.
The scandal has prompted questions over the British prime minister's judgment in hiring Coulson after he resigned as editor of the News of the World because of the allegations.
Speaking shortly before his former aide's arrest was announced, Cameron went on the defensive at a Downing Street news conference Friday, saying: "The decision to hire him was mine, and mine alone."
He said he gave Coulson a second chance after assurances that he was not involved in wrongdoing at the newspaper.FULL STORY