An Army officer said he thought the rapid rate of gunfire meant there was more than one shooter in last November's Fort Hood massacre.
But when the shooting ceased after police brought down Nidal Hasan, it became clear he had acted alone, Major Stephen Richter said.
Army investigators said Wednesday that Major Nidal Hasan had 177 rounds left when he was finally shot down by police last November.
Hasan is charged with killing 13 people and wounding dozens of others after a rampage last November at Fort Hood. A police officer, Major Mark Todd, told the military hearing on Wednesday that he found extra magazines and a second handgun, a revolver, after Hasan finally was subdued, wounded four times.
Todd and his fellow civilian police officer, Sgt. Kim Munley described the gunfight outside the building where the final stand-off occured.
"I challenged him, 'Halt, military police, drop your weapon,'" Todd said during his testimony Wednesday morning. "He raised his weapon and fired."
Munley, who was widely praised for her role in ending the shooting admitted in testimony that she did not know how many times she had hit Hasan.
Even before the Fort Hood shooting ended, nurses and medics rushed to help the wounded.
"Nurses and medics get the [expletive] out here now - we have soldiers bleeding," Sgt. First Class Maria Guerra recalled herself yelling.
"You train for this, you train for this, let's go," she said as civilians and soliders came out of hiding to save their fallen buddies.
A survivor of last year's Fort Hood, Texas, shootings testified Monday that the gunman showed no emotion as he killed 13 people and injured dozens more.
"He wasn't happy, he wasn't angry," Sgt. 1st Class Miguel Valdivia said of the accused shooter, Maj. Nidal Hasan. "It was some kind of passive look."
Valdivia's testimony came on the fifth day of an Article 32 hearing at the base to determine whether there is enough evidence for Nasan to proceed to a court-martial in the November 2009 shooting spree on the military base.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton spoke to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday to express unusually strong U.S. objections to new Israeli construction in disputed territory in East Jerusalem.