August 6th, 2013
02:21 AM ET

'Whitey' Bulger's fate in jury's hands

After almost a month of colorful witnesses and rancorous testimony, the jury begins deliberations Tuesday in the trial of alleged crime boss James "Whitey" Bulger.

As he addressed the jury in his closing arguments Monday, prosecuting attorney Fred Wyshak called Bulger one of the most "vicious, violent and calculating criminals to ever walk the streets of Boston."

Bulger is accused of 19 killings and 13 counts of extortion and money laundering during a 20-year "reign of terror" that defined South Boston from the early '70s through 1995, when Bulger fled Boston.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • U.S.
March 14th, 2013
09:36 AM ET

Police: Suspect in N.Y. shootings dead

A long standoff following a deadly upstate shooting spree is over, and the suspect is dead, police say.

Kurt R. Myers, 64, was dead after he and an FBI tactical team fired shots in a building where Myers was hiding, New York State Police spokesman Lt. Jack Keller said.

Myers is suspected of killing four people and injuring two others in a 10-minute shooting spree in Herkimer County, New York, on Wednesday morning, state police said.

FULL STORY
October 25th, 2012
10:38 PM ET

New York mom finds two young children dead, nanny bleeding

A Manhattan mother returned home early Thursday evening to find two of her young children stabbed to death in a bathtub, as their nanny lay bleeding nearby, police said.

FULL POST

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • New York
Prosecutors: NYPD officer conspired to kidnap, cook, eat women
Gilberto Valle has worked with the New York Police Department for six years, authorities say.
October 25th, 2012
09:11 PM ET

Prosecutors: NYPD officer conspired to kidnap, cook, eat women

Editor's note: Gilberto Valle, a New York police officer accused of conspiring to kidnap, rape, torture and cook a number of women and eat their body parts, has been arrested and charged in federal court.

Here are the latest developments on this story.

[Updated at 9:11 p.m ET] A federal prosecutor and defense attorney argued in court Thursday whether a New York police officer's sexually deviant online conversations amounted to "idle, harmless talk" or a real threat to scores of women.

FULL POST

Jury recommends death for man convicted in Conn. home invasion
Joshua Komisarjevsky was one of two men convicted of murder in the 2007 deaths of a woman and her two daughters.
December 9th, 2011
03:39 PM ET

Jury recommends death for man convicted in Conn. home invasion

A jury on Friday recommended that Joshua Komisarjevsky receive the death penalty for his role in a deadly Connecticut home invasion in 2007.

At a later date, a judge will weigh the jury's recommendation in sentencing Komisarjevsky, who was convicted in October on six felony charges.

Komisarjevsky's accomplice, Steven Hayes - the first defendant to stand trial in the case - was sentenced to death after a jury convicted him on 16 of 17 charges last year.

Prosecutors argued that Hayes and Komisarjevsky went into the Petit home, beat and tied up William Petit, raped and strangled his wife, molested one of their daughters and set the house on fire before attempting to flee.

The two daughters, who were both tied to their beds, died of smoke inhalation, while William Petit managed to escape from the basement, where he had been held.

FULL STORY
November 20th, 2011
07:33 PM ET

Bloomberg announces arrest of terror suspect

Authorities have arrested a man they claim was plotting to detonate pipe bombs, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Sunday night.

The New York City man's intended targets were U.S. military personnel who had served in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as U.S. postal facilities and police stations, the mayor said.

The suspect allegedly learned how to make a pipe bomb after reading Inspire, the al Qaeda terrorist network's English-language online propaganda, recruiting and training magazine, according to New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelley. 

He'd acquired all the material need for the explosive device, going as far as drilling holes into the would-be pipe bomb, a source said.

The alleged attacker had been monitored by the New York Police Department for about two years, according to the source.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Justice • New York • Terrorism
Second defendant convicted in Connecticut home invasion trial
October 13th, 2011
04:40 PM ET

Second defendant convicted in Connecticut home invasion trial

JJoshua Komisarjevsky, the second man to be tried in connection with a deadly 2007 Connecticut home invasion, was found guilty on all counts during the second day of deliberations Thursday in a case that drew worldwide attention and sparked broader discussions about safety in the home.

Komisarjevsky (pictured) was convicted of 17 charges, including three counts of murder, four counts of kidnapping, and charges of burglary, arson and assault.

He could receive the death penalty.

The trial has gone on for a little over three weeks, during which time jurors heard emotional testimony detailing the deaths of Jennifer Hawke-Petit and her daughters - 17-year-old Hayley Petit and 11-year-old Michaela Petit.

FULL STORY